autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

M66 vs Black Hole

I don't have experience with Poor Boys Black Hole, but looking at some postings showing the filling capabilities, it looks a lot like the action I get with Meguiar's M66.
    Has anybody had experience with both with these products?
    Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: M66 vs Black Hole

M66 is a strong cleaner/wax that uses diminishing abrasives to abrade the paint to remove defects.

Poorboy's Black Hole states it "cleans" and in the detailing world this can mean abrades but the copy doesn't read like it cleans via abrading, so it's probably doing as it states, cleaning as in removing built-up grime and then filling.

Poorboy’s World Black Hole Show Glaze for Dark Vehicles 128 oz.

The M66 will fill to as it is a wax and any wax or paint sealant that actually is working is filling because it's coating over and leaving itself behind.

If a wax or sealant doesn't leave itself behind on the surface... then it's not working...

I wrote an article about this on MOL...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike. You might remember me when I came by one evening a couple of years ago at Meg. to help solve the super soft paint on my black G35. Even a cotton ball would marr the surface.

So in the end I bought a gallon of M66 and have been using it ever since, I am down to 1/2 gallon.

Since this vehicle has had a respray, the paint was not left long enough to cure, so I ended up with this super soft paint. Since then I have had it repainted again and I left it untouched for 3 months. It's still soft but much better than the first job.

So, the M66 works well on the repainted area, sometimes I use the DA and sometimes I do it by hand. I had heard about the filling capabilities of Black Hole and I thought it might be less abrasive than M66.

If I keep the car much longer I am afraid the repainted area will start showing primer, which I can see in one tiny spot.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm looking for is to cover up the primer. Since I polished the blue hood, primer marks came out. What ever the car dealer ship used it was good because the marks haven't shown before the polish job. I don't know if Poorboys polish w/carnauba (blue), Pboys black hole, Pboys Natty's blue, or Dodo purple haze would cover these primer mark imperfections. Too much to choose from?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by summers View Post
    That's what I'm looking for is to cover up the primer. Since I polished the blue hood, primer marks came out. What ever the car dealer ship used it was good because the marks haven't shown before the polish job. I don't know if Poorboys polish w/carnauba (blue), Pboys black hole, Pboys Natty's blue, or Dodo purple haze would cover these primer mark imperfections. Too much to choose from?
    Primer marks?

Post Thanks / Like

White marks and look like scratches but look deep maybe from car wash's marks?

Post Thanks / Like

Black hole will only hide the finest of markings and they seem to show up again really quick. I'm not a fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch BH.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oli View Post

Thanks, Mike. You might remember me when I came by one evening a couple of years ago at Meg. to help solve the super soft paint on my black G35. Even a cotton ball would marr the surface. So in the end I bought a gallon of M66 and have been using it ever since, I am down to 1/2 gallon.
    Sounds familiar... taught a lot of classes at Meguiar's Corporate Training Center, worked on a lot of cars and met a lot of people, if it was a TNOG then there's probably pictures on the MOL forum.

It's still soft but much better than the first job. So, the M66 works well on the repainted area, sometimes I use the DA and sometimes I do it by hand.
    Wonder why this paint system is so soft? Are we talking about a basecoat/clearcoat system, single stage or tinted clear?

I had heard about the filling capabilities of Black Hole and I thought it might be less abrasive than M66.
    I'm confident it's a lot less abrasive than M66, I'll check with Steve but I'm under the impression it's non-abrasive... just cleans the surface...

If I keep the car much longer I am afraid the repainted area will start showing primer, which I can see in one tiny spot.
    Most people don't go through their car's paint using just a cleaner/wax unless the paint was whisper thin to start with, if that's the case then your painter didn't spray enough material on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I should include this is a '92 Jaguar. Looks like under the clear coat. Mostly in the garage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast