autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: SON1C Protowax 38 vs. CG Pete 53

This is my second review of the SON1C Protowax. I do hope you enjoy it

Here is a link to my first.

REVIEW: SON1C Protowax 36 vs. CG Pete 53

This "Test and Report", was conducted in the same manner as my first comparative test. The testing process chosen was a side by side evaluation, and comparative study (and longevity test) with my current "go to", which is CG Pete 53. I did get permission from the owner to use her car as a test subject (with the promise of a FREE wax upgrade to her detail), and asked if she would be so kind as to report her "non-professional" opinions (ie. dust attraction, beading, shedding, sheeting, feel etc..). She was given a little lesson as to what to look for, and was kept "blind" as to which side of the hood received which wax. The reason why this vehicle was chosen also took into consideration that I will be the only one maintaining the vehicle. This will eliminate a lot of possible mishandling, which would affect the longevity results.

Test Subject: 2011 Mercedes E550 Convertible
    Detail Requested: Full exterior wash, clay, paint sealant and basic interior, w/ leather cleaning and conditioning. FREE wax upgrade.
    Supplies used (paint only): Dawn soap in foam cannon and in 2 BM to wash and strip
    - Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitt Nanoskin
    - Mr Pink wash solution as lubricant
    - CG Blacklight machine applied on a white LC flat pad
    - CG Pete 53 applied with a Pinnacle yellow foam applicator
    - SON1C Protowax 36 (which the owner selected at random)

P.S. The rest of the car received the same attention to detail, with the highest quality products, tools and techniques (the description of is outside the scope of this review)

Inspection: Minor light scratches and swirls through out. Typical daily driver rock chips and skips. A few RIDS and a bad attempt at a debadge (which was not corrected)

The Process: Again (as with the first review), it was a straight forward stripping, claying process. Blacklight was machine applied to the whole car in a cross hatch pattern using a white LC pad, medium pressure, speed 4, x 4 passes. The product was allowed to cure 20 minutes and was removed using a Cobra 530. The whole Mercedes was treated to Pete 53, except for the hood which was left for testing purposes. It was split in the middle and each side received one of the product. For the sake of continuity (with my prior review) the passenger side received the Protowax and the driver side received Pete 53. The wax was allowed to haze and was removed with their respective microfiber to prevent cross contamination. The center tape line was carefully blended using Pete 53. The whole hand waxing process was done by me to provide a uniform technique throughout. My son (my business partner) helped me, and was on hand to provide his comments and impression.

Impressions: Same as my first impression of PW 36, the smell that Drew selected for his wax can only be described as intoxicating. The best description was provided by my son the first time which is that it reminded him of Hubba Bubba gum!! Similar to the PW36, PW38 is a hard wax (very similar to those fancy European hard waxes). My attempts to load the Pinnacle applicator were again met with a little frustration, but it was a net improvement over the PW36. I finally was able to load the applicator and found the application ease to be superior to PW36, but still not as smooth and easy as Pete 53. I did attempt to do a hand/finger application, but gave up on the technique, as with PW 36. As it was previously reported, once you break through the top hardened layer, the process of loading the applicator was a lot easier.... but not as much as Pete 53. Once again, a major positive of this Protowax is that you use very little of the product (in comparison with Pete 53) to accomplish full coverage of the hood.

One MAJOR difference with this PW38 is that it is more "luxurious", and for lack of better word, more "oily" that its predecessor, and even Pete 53. As you can see from the pictures (comparing the two), the PW38 makes the paint look a lot more "wet", even after allowing the product to cure. It is of note that the product did not look hazy, but it did pass the swipe test.

The application itself did (once again) feel more "grabby" then Pete 53, which feels like you are applying butter. The lack of "silkyness" was also noticed upon removal of the product.

As with the previous test, once both products were removed a new MF was used to evaluate the slickness while transitioning from one side to the other, and the increase surface tension was definitely noticeable (same as the previous PW).

Once again, at first glance, the optical qualities were almost identical between the 2 waxes, although the PW "seemed" to be a tiny more "wet" looking. The difference however was so small that one may argue that I was biased.... or simply under the influence of the lingering intoxicating Bubble Gum scent.

The car was pulled into the evening sun and reevaluated. Again, nothing but love for the results!!... and no real appreciable difference in appearance from one side to the other.

A beading and shedding test was performed, and the results replicated the results we achieved with the PW36. Sorry, no video this time. As you can see we had some thundercloud overhead and we were rushing to bring the car back into the shop. Similarly to our previous test, it was felt that the PW side offered a better bead and shedding effect.

So on to the scoring!!

The Score:
    Smell:
    - CG Pete 53: 7/10
    - Protowax 38: 9/10 WIN!!
    Ease of removal (out of the jar)
    - CG Pete 53: 9/10 WIN!!
    - Protowax 38: 5/10 (better than PW36)
    Ease of application:
    - CG Pete 53: 9/10 WIN!!
    - Protowax 38: 7/10 (better than PW36)
    Amount of product used/required
    - CG Pete 53: 7/10
    - Protowax 38: 9/10 WIN!!
    Ease of removal/buffing
    - CG Pete 53: 8/10 WIN!!
    - Protowax 38: 7/10 (a little more effort to remove)
    Reflection/optical qualities
    - CG Pete 53: 8/10 TIE!
    - Protowax 38: 8/10 TIE!
    Beading
    - CG Pete 53: 8/10
    - Protowax 38: 8.5/10 WIN!
    Shedding
    - CG Pete 53: 8/10
    - Protowax 38: 9.8/10 WIN!!
    Longevity:...... I will use this thread to update on the longevity/torture test.

Conclusion:
    Overall, I am definitely happy with the opportunity to test Protowax 38. I do find a net improvements over its predecessor, in terms of ease of removal of the product from the tin and luxurious look. Although some attempts were made to soften the wax through exposure to some 100 degree weather, we are still dealing with a HARD wax, which does need to get use to (if you're like me and like to apply buttery soft waxes). I did mention, in my previous review, that because it is a harder application that this wax was not ready for production work, and that I would reserve the Protowax for a "Love" application, well, I am happy to say that I valued this sample so much that I CHOSE to use is as my final topper on this..... the dreaded Black Porsche Paint (BPP). In my opinion, it is safe enough and luxurious enough that I decided to give the "Love" to this car. It is a customer car but not production work. This car received a full makeover. Unfortunately I only got the owner's approval to put his car as a "Featured car" on my FB page, so won't be able to do an elaborate "Show and Shine" .

ENJOY!!!

P.S. Feel free to comment, ask questions etc...

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: SON1C Protowax 38 vs. CG Pete 53

Great review! I always appreciate when people take the time to put one of these together.

That GT3 is gorgeous.
    Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jayshut11 View Post
    Great review! I always appreciate when people take the time to put one of these together.

That GT3 is gorgeous.
    Thanks! Can't wait the newest wax developments from SON1C. I think he has a few more batches on top of the ones I reviewed including a synthetic blend

That GT3 was absolutely SICK! It can to me pretty molested (for a weekend driver) but we made it look the way it should (Thanks to a little know how and some quality product, and THE "Master Detailer" who gifted me the knowledge and skills!. I'll be honest in saying that the best part was the pick up and delivery. My son was in the passenger seat when we delivered it..... and I think he's still smiling.

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Great review mate , Drew sent the same ProtoWax to me also , did buff it off with some Sonax BSD , much easier to buff off this way . I found it hard to apply also , maybe if I had it heated in a with water into a sauce pan , it will soften the wax , it was suggested by someone a little while ago .

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for taking the time again claude, seriously superb work on restoring the vehicle you are talented and blessed!
    As we've talked, I have been trying to soften the wax while still having it packed with carnauba, I have gotten it a lot softer in comparison, it hasn't clumped any applicators in my testing yet (whereas 36 always did for me, and 38 did sometimes)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    Thank you for taking the time again claude, seriously superb work on restoring the vehicle you are talented and blessed!
    As we've talked, I have been trying to soften the wax while still having it packed with carnauba, I have gotten it a lot softer in comparison, it hasn't clumped any applicators in my testing yet (whereas 36 always did for me, and 38 did sometimes)
    Thank you Drew for the tireless efforts in perfecting your product. I am thrilled at being able to "Test and Report". I know it is a frustrating, and somewhat a daunting task, to create a product that the mass will be able to instantly love. I do praise you for being able to take the constructive criticism in stride, and try to address all our complaints, while never compromising the product you are trying to create.

Now, despite my frustrations with dealing with a harder wax, I am looking forward to the "longevity test".

Each of the vehicle I used are "maintenance" customers. What that means is I am the only one to touch the LSP and will be able to test the beading and shedding, and optical qualities bi-monthly or monthly (depending on the account).

I am sure that if either of the PW outlast Pete 53 by a large enough margin that it will become a valued upgrade to my arsenal, despite the fact that it is a little more tedious in application. I will just have to market and charge accordingly (same as what we do with coatings).