autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Car Wax ( OCW ) First Impressions

I washed my Vette yesterday afternoon, used OID while drying and then followed with a coat of OCW. I drive this car only once ever 2-3 weeks, and wash it every 2nd or 3rd drive. Its garage kept.

My initial impressions are that its very difficult in the conditions of yesterday ( low 90's, moderate humidity ) to avoid streaks. It took a good 5-7 minutes of buffing and spraying OID on the hood to get the streaks out after applying OCW and waiting a few minutes.

Previously I had been using Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax after washes, and Ultimate Detailier when drying. Ive got to say, in similar conditions, the Meguiars product is easier to apply. It also seems to be less 'slick' feeling than I am used to. Its like it felt slicker after the OID dry than after I applied the OCW.

As far as durability, the shine on the Meguiars seems to vanish after about 4 weeks, even with a basecoat of NxT 2.0. Hopefully the OCW will last the entire length between washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Car Wax ( OCW ) First Impressions

One other thing I noticed, the OCW after moving it around a bit with the Cobra Miracle towel, felt like it had a 'pull' on it like when removing a paste wax or sealant.

Typically with the Meguiars, I dont get this sensation.

My guess is that, the OCW is laying down a much thicker coat of wax, causing more resistance. This is likely providing a better, longer lasting protection, but simultaneously a bit streakier finish in the conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

So far I've had great results with Optimum Car Wax.

Optimum Car Wax has a milky appearance and sprays on very easily. The best part is that Optimum Car Wax is incredibly easy to apply! Spray it onto your vehicle and spread it over the paint with a microfiber towel. No buffing is required to get a gorgeous beautiful shine! Optimum Car Wax doesn't stain vinyl trim and or plastic moldings. Just spray and wipe! It only takes 25 minutes to wax your whole vehicle and it lasts for up to 5 months.

Now while it states no buffing I still like to give the finish a final going over with a soft Microfiber towel but I have to say when I was applying the wax it dried crystal clear. Using this product was so easy and the results so impressive I could and will use it after each wash or in place of detail spray.

I gave my Corvette a once over before heading to a car show yesterday and it looked like a mirror.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I find it hard to use on hot panels. Try working small areas at a time to help reduce streaking. I have run into this when using some quick detailers also.

I also felt the 'pull' you are talking about. I think it might be nuba wax in OCW that is causing this. After a light buff with a dry MF, the surface sure is slick.

Post Thanks / Like

IME OID is more streaky than OCW. Neither product requires a lot of effort as long as you adjust your technique a little. Meg's UQW and really UQD are a like in that they're super easy but not as slick or durable as the Optimum.

Post Thanks / Like

I find its best to use/buff off outside of direct sunlight. Its pretty durable for a spray product.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Problems with OCW are usually due to surface temp and quantity applied. Usually the culprit is too much product...as we are used to applying paste or liquids that need a flash time. If you will prime your MF, spread OCW quickly over the panel, then flip the towel and lightly buff till gone - it will not streak. If you spray it directly on the panel, or don't move quick enough on a hot panel, that's your trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dublifecrisis View Post
    IME OID is more streaky than OCW. Neither product requires a lot of effort as long as you adjust your technique a little. Meg's UQW and really UQD are a like in that they're super easy but not as slick or durable as the Optimum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    I washed my Vette yesterday afternoon, used OID while drying and then followed with a coat of OCW. I drive this car only once ever 2-3 weeks, and wash it every 2nd or 3rd drive. Its garage kept.

My initial impressions are that its very difficult in the conditions of yesterday ( low 90's, moderate humidity ) to avoid streaks. It took a good 5-7 minutes of buffing and spraying OID on the hood to get the streaks out after applying OCW and waiting a few minutes.

Previously I had been using Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax after washes, and Ultimate Detailier when drying. Ive got to say, in similar conditions, the Meguiars product is easier to apply. It also seems to be less 'slick' feeling than I am used to. Its like it felt slicker after the OID dry than after I applied the OCW.

As far as durability, the shine on the Meguiars seems to vanish after about 4 weeks, even with a basecoat of NxT 2.0. Hopefully the OCW will last the entire length between washes.
    From my experience the OCW will last much longer then that on it's own without fail.

Also, no issue with it streaking unless you abuse it by putting put it on a hot panel in the sun. I did this on a car once recently. The whole car had gotten hot and was in the sun by the time I got to it (Long Story...) Anyway, I did the best I could and there were still streaks. I walked away and the thunderstorm rolled in shortly thereafter. Streaks were gone and car looked nice and shiny the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by dublifecrisis View Post
    IME OID is more streaky than OCW. Neither product requires a lot of effort as long as you adjust your technique a little.
    X2
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if its a combination of using the OID to dry, then putting the OCW on top?

The car was washed in the shade, and moved into the garage after drying to apply the OCW. I had driven the car 3 hours prior, but it wasnt hot to the touch, maybe slightly warmer than if it had sat overnight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast