autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: SYN 1 (SUPER CUT / SUPER FINISH)

Alright here are pictures of the pads (now dry). Using my method of cleansing the Syn 1 stains were very minimal. I did get some stain from the paint on some of the pads though.

:dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Thank you for your comments!
    To answer your question I was getting an average of probably 7 or 8 passes.
    That's interesting, sounds almost like the type of working time a product like XMT360 has. Does it start disappearing towards the end? I am definately interested in this stuff if it offers good cutting ability matched with a reasonable finish.

Any word on the types of abrasives used?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    That's interesting, sounds almost like the type of working time a product like XMT360 has. Does it start disappearing towards the end? I am definately interested in this stuff if it offers good cutting ability matched with a reasonable finish.

Any word on the types of abrasives used?
    Yes

Sorry, it was after the pictures. "Non-diminishing synthetic abrasives as well as diminishing abrasives"

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Syn 1 update

I used some SYN 1 again today during the preperation of new product review I was doing. I witnessed completely different behavior then last time I used. I was outside this time with higher temperatures and the humidity at 85%. It seems like the humidity and temperature has a huge effect on the SYN 1. Anyway under todays conditions it started dusting immediately and after 4 passes the polish was all gone. After going a couple cycles with it I switched to M105 to see what was what. On the panel I was working the 105 left a better finish then the SYN 1. I believe that differed from my first test in which they were extremely close but I thought SYN 1 had a better finish. This time arounf the 105 definetly had a better finish.
    Heres a couple pics.

SYN 1 FIRST PASS

SYN 1 FIRST PASS

SYN 2ND PASS

SYN 1 AFTER IPA
    (LOUSY PHOTO) SORRY

M105 AFTER IPA

M105 AFTER IPA

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Syn 1 update

I used some SYN 1 again today during the preperation of new product review I was doing. I witnessed completely different behavior then last time I used. I was outside this time with higher temperatures and the humidity at 85%. It seems like the humidity and temperature has a huge effect on the SYN 1. Anyway under todays conditions it started dusting immediately and after 4 passes the polish was all gone. After going a couple cycles with it I switched to M105 to see what was what. On the panel I was working the 105 left a better finish then the SYN 1. I believe that differed from my first test in which they were extremely close but I thought SYN 1 had a better finish. This time arounf the 105 definetly had a better finish.
    Heres a couple pics.

SYN 1 FIRST PASS

SYN 1 FIRST PASS

SYN 2ND PASS

SYN 1 AFTER IPA
    (LOUSY PHOTO) SORRY

M105 AFTER IPA

M105 AFTER IPA
    Holy Cow Corey, night and day difference between M105 and SYN 1. I originally thought M105 looked better than SYN1. That's very cool that PB's is doing beta testing so they can correct problems like this. Thanks for the update!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got around to trying out my Syn-1. I put just the main points of this reply in bold, so you can skip through all my bs if you'd like.

My friend Chris has his car in the shop and his girl friends step-dad let him use his "extra car" for the time being. The car is an Acura Integra, '94-'96? not sure, but it's green paint is in horrible condition. Over the last three day's, the car was washed 4 times and clayed twice... Yeah, it was dirty and contaminated.

So, the intention here is, Chris wants to clean up the vehicle in appreciation for being let to use it, after just a quick wash the owner thought it looked great. I can imagine what he will think when he gets it back. Also, I am MORE than willing to provide any and all assistance that I can offer as Chris and his girlfriend got me the FLEX L3403 VRG Lightweight Circular Polisher Special Edition for my birthday a couple day's ago!!! It will be here the 30th!!!. Anyway, that's a different thread...

I figured this car would be the perfect test subject to see what SYN-1 is capable of.

We did the first and only test spot on the drivers side trunk lid, with a 6.5" Orange LC CCS pad on the Flex 3401 working at speed 5-6. First pass was done with about 8 pea sized drops of polish on the pad, prepped with a light mist of Pinnacle Pad Conditioner. The polish had a nice long working time, spreading easily, breaking down fairly quick but still having a film of polish that continued to provide some cut. It did begin to dust a bit, at which point the directions on the bottle advise it is time to check the results. As you'll be able to tell from the pics below, the vast majority of the light swirls were completely removed, but the deeper scratches remained.

I felt that a second pass would be beneficial and went for it with about triple the amount of polish as the first time. during this "heavy" pass I stopped half way through to see what the paint surface looked like. When I stopped, there was still a good film build of polish on the surface, obviously not fully broken-down. As I expected, the paint was left with quite a haze, very reminiscent of a heavy compound like 3M Super Duty. A quick mist with Pinnacle Pad Conditioner to revitalize the polish and several full section passes later and ending with a couple no-pressure passes, Syn-1 provided an excellent finish that impressed me for doing so much and being just one product.

Still, many deeper scratches were present, but for the intentions of this project the results were more than satisfactory. At this point Chris took over with the Syn-1 on the 6.5" Orange LC CCS and his Flex 3401 and I followed, one panel behind, with Poorboys World Polish with Sealant on a 6.5" White LC Flat on my Flex 3401. Man, Poorboy's Polish with Sealant (and Pinnacle XMT 360 just the same) is a great product. I LOVE How you just polish until it's gone leaving a beautiful, smooth, glossy surface. Perfect for finishing up after Syn-1 (FYI, None of the pictures were taken after using Polish with Sealant. The pics are strictly Syn-1 results). The dusting of Syn-1 was a bit of a problem for this "following" technique so I just had to take lots of breaks so he could get further ahead of me. .

I was able to control the dust a little bit by doing "extra" cleaning on the fly and giving a light spritz with Pinnacle Pad Conditioner once the dust starts, which also increases the working time. I feel like you have to quickly spread the polish and evenly work the initial "heavy cutting" period, it breaks down quick. Then, with a little spray of lube you can polish away till your happy. Cleaning on the fly was pretty easy, Syn-1 did not get "gummy" at all, more chalky. The spent polish was easily softened and removed with Pad Lube and a MF.

We only got half of the car done and plan to finish it out tomorrow. My impression of the polish so far is pretty good. The overall cutting power is fairly high, but it seems to break down in distinctive steps. First cutting strong, but quickly breaking down (and starting to dust), then slowly refining it's own compounding marks as you continue to work the polish, which lasts quite a while especially if given a little lube and eventually leaving a fairly LSP-ready finish. Surly I'll have some new insight and opinions after finishing the rest of the car.

OK, as if you read all that... Here's the pics.

Before: A very clean and very abused surface.

After one session, vast improvement.

After Second "heavy" polishing session, more big improvements.

By no means is the finish in the above pic defect-free, but the difference is huge, I'm impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for posting the great review Dave! Your demonstration really showed what this stuff can do.

That paint was SMASHED!

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the fact that he used the product, experienced some side effects he did not like, and took actions to address them. I think some would just dismiss the product. I think the better detailers can adapt better to these variables.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for posting the great review Dave! Your demonstration really showed what this stuff can do.

That paint was SMASHED!
    For sure, Syn-1 handled the majority of defects with out a problem. Did anyone else who has used this stuff feel that the dust from the polish was exceptionally fine/soft? I wasn't afraid that dry buffing would terribly mar the finish at all. Not that I did a lot of dry buffing, but the more I worked it the better...

We finished the rest of the car yesterday and Chris and I both ended up with a pretty good impression of Syn-1. Besides the dusting, it is pretty user friendly providing both Super Cut and Super Finish in one step. Following up with Poorboy's PWS really was necessary to get the finish up to par though.

While We were working I recalled a piece of advice from Jon at Metropolitan Detail (AG user name "Detailjon"), he said that he uses compressed air to clean his pads on the fly. I decided to try it out, first (in my normal routine) saturating the spent polish with Pinnacle Pad Conditioner, removing the bulk by running a MF wrapped around two fingers over pad, then I used the compressed air (~90 psi) on the pad running at various speeds. WOW! The pad comes out cleaner and easier than any method to date. Thanks Jon! Also having the pad so clean cut down on the dusting significantly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I liked the fact that he used the product, experienced some side effects he did not like, and took actions to address them. I think some would just dismiss the product. I think the better detailers can adapt better to these variables.
    Thanks Bunky!

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a bit of time with Syn 1 and my Flex L3403 Rotary last night and thought I'd share. The defects to be corrected were some light swirls and fine straight line sanding marks left over from a previous late-night detail session on a friends car.

As in my previous experiences with Syn 1 on my Flex 3401, I found the polish to do it's cutting and breakdown quickly. If you stop there you will have a corrected but "polish induced" marred finish, as if you just used a compound. Continuing to polish (while there is still a wet-film of product to provide lubrication) will refine the marring significantly. The defects were corrected quickly with just a white LC Flat Pad and left the paint in condition that 3M Ultrafine on a Blue LC Flat Pad had no problem with... which means Syn 1 finished quite well.

For a test I tried doing a section pass then moving to a new section of un-polished paint to see if the rest of the polish in the pad would provide the cut needed to remove the swirls *AFTER* the initial breakdown of abrasives. It did not. The area finished nicely, but the majority of swirls were still intact. This was just a test, confirming to me that there are some good aggressive diminishing abrasives in there, but it was not necessarily good technique

Over all I really like Syn 1, but I have two problems:
    1- The dusting, I can deal with it by cleaning the pad often and being careful, but it's pretty bad.
    2- Pad staining! I want to say horrible, horrible things! I just want my pad to be clean, please fix this before release Poorboy's, anything so the color is able to be easily rinsed out please!

For sure one bottle of Syn 1 can be considered sold upon release, if my two concerns are addressed before then it would be a bonus. Thanks Poorboy's and keep up the good work!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast