autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liquid Glass Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    But, it's bonding to paint..does that make a difference?
    Nope, PTFE does not become usable in the sense of bonding to anything till a very high temperature of bonding. Also PTFE is not clear, it is a opaque and if used as a sealant it would not give a good shine or clairty. DuPont has said it is pointless in car wax and does nothing to help in durability or cleaning ability once it is applied. If PTFE could bond to paint and look clear someone would of put it on from the factory at some high price as paint is baked on and could be done after painting after the car and re-backing it. Pure marketing and DuPont has even started marketing some of there "own" wax's with ptfe...like they said if you cant beat them join em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agpatel View Post
    Nope, PTFE does not become usable in the sense of bonding to anything till a very high temperature of bonding. Also PTFE is not clear, it is a opaque and if used as a sealant it would not give a good shine or clairty. DuPont has said it is pointless in car wax and does nothing to help in durability or cleaning ability once it is applied. If PTFE could bond to paint and look clear someone would of put it on from the factory at some high price as paint is baked on and could be done after painting after the car and re-backing it. Pure marketing and DuPont has even started marketing some of there "own" wax's with ptfe...like they said if you cant beat them join em.
    Well said Egg. I dont know why people keep hyping Teflon. I was shocked when DuPont did it after debunking thee hype.

Post Thanks / Like

What if you have PTFE suspended in solvents of a typical sealant? It would not necessarily need to adhere to a paint surface but rather be contained within the layer of polymers and chemicals left behind as the protective property of sealant. Since PTFE particles possess the anti-stick properties and would be suspended within this layer, that would provide a medium for their non stick property to resist water, bugs and contaminants potentially.

While I am just throwing out ideas, I do not believe their claims.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    What if you have PTFE suspended in solvents of a typical sealant? It would not necessarily need to adhere to a paint surface but rather be contained within the layer of polymers and chemicals left behind as the protective property of sealant. Since PTFE particles possess the anti-stick properties and would be suspended within this layer, that would provide a medium for their non stick property to resist water, bugs and contaminants potentially.

While I am just throwing out ideas, I do not believe their claims.
    I though the same thing. PTFE is suspended in a solvent, and is held together by the wax or polymer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123