autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Muc-Off Performance Wheel Cleaner Impresses

Muc-Off showed off a host of new car care products at SEMA this year and some of them are already making their way to our shelves. The first of which is an all-new wheel cleaner. Muc-Off's new Performance Wheel Cleaner fills the void in the Muc-Off line for a wheel cleaner more suitable for delicate finishes.

Muc-Off Performance Wheel Cleaner was specifically formulated to safely break down accumulated brake dust and road grime without compromising the wheels' clear coat finish. It's a fast-working cleaner but is still delicate enough for plastic wheels (think hubcaps). Performance Wheel Cleaner is made of natural and renewable sources and is fully biodegradable.

I never get tired of testing the latest and greatest product from each manufacturer and Muc-Off's new Performance Wheel Cleaner was no exception. The wheels on my daily driver had not been cleaned in nearly a month so I deemed this the perfect opportunity to put Performance Wheel Cleaner to the test.

Before using any car care product that's new to you, take a minute and familiarize yourself with the instructions.

Muc-Off recommends that you give the wheel a good thorough rinsing before using Performance Wheel Cleaner. They also note that the wheel should be cool to the touch. The last tidbit of information pertains to all wheel cleaners.

Muc-Off Performance Wheel Cleaner features a widely adjustable sprayer that also produces a thick foam that allows the cleaner to cling to the surface.

Muc-Off recommends letting the cleaner well for up to 30 seconds for maximum performance. While the wheel cleaner was dwelling on the wheel I cleaned the tires using Optimum Power Clean. I use Optimum Power Clean for everything from cleaning tires to cleaning leather because when diluted properly, it's a safe, effective cleaner for virtually any surface.

To provide the necessary agitation to ensure a squeaky clean tire I used a Cobra Flex Foam Tire Scrubber Pad. These are great for cleaning smaller tires such as the ones on my Accord. They feature a cut-out groove on both sides to provide a sure grip and the pad is 5 inches long by 2 inches wide so it's easy to hold.

By the time I had finished cleaning the tire the wheel cleaner was ready to be agitated. To provide the necessary agitation I used an assortment of brushes including an 8 inch Montana Boar's Hair Wheel Brush along with a Clean Wheel Lug Nut Brush. These two brushes feature natural boar's hair bristles with feathered tips to ensure safe agitation for any wheel finish.

After cleaning the wheel I gave it a good rinsing. Always rinse your wheels thoroughly to ensure no cleaner is left dwelling in any unwanted spots.

Squeaky clean!

Muc-Off Performance Wheel Cleaner safely cleans clear coated and plastic wheels with minimal agitation required. It doesn't feature any harsh chemicals that are harmful to you or the environment and what I like most is the lack of a chemical smell.

Muc-Off Performance Wheel Cleaner is a viable alternative to other wheel cleaners with its friendly price of $11.99 for 1 Liter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Muc-Off Performance Wheel Cleaner Impresses

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Muc-Off's new Performance Wheel Cleaner fills the void in the Muc-Off line for a wheel cleaner more suitable for delicate finishes.
    I am new with this stuff,especially with cleaning wheels. I always just used a sponge and regular car wash. How can we tell if we have a delicate finish on our wheels? Is a factory clear coat considered delicate or more along the lines of a polished aftermarket wheel? Does the inside lip have the same sort of coating so we could do a test spot there vs ruining the face of the rim?
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering Nick, do you really need to use two products, the muc off for the wheels, and power clean for the tires? Or will the muc off clean thm both? I really like it when I don't have to use 2 different products to clean wheels + tires. It makes things much easier for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_10 View Post
    I am new with this stuff,especially with cleaning wheels. I always just used a sponge and regular car wash. How can we tell if we have a delicate finish on our wheels? Is a factory clear coat considered delicate or more along the lines of a polished aftermarket wheel? Does the inside lip have the same sort of coating so we could do a test spot there vs ruining the face of the rim?
    99.9% of factory wheels on new cars feature a clear coat whether it's over aluminum or paint. The wheels on my Honda are clear coated aluminum.

Most common types of wheels:

Polished Aluminum: The name implies it all. Bare aluminum polished to a high shine. Avoid acidic wheel cleaners with this type of finish because they will react negatively with the metal causing a "frosting" on the surface.

Clear Coated Polished Aluminum: Essentially a polished aluminum wheel with clear coat for added protection. This is the most common wheel type found on most new cars from the factory. Avoid acidic wheel cleaners that will cause clear coat failure over time, resulting in a damaged wheel that will inevitably need to be refinished.

Clear Coated Painted: This finish is another popular type for factory wheels. It's a painted steel or aluminum wheel with a clear coat. Just like the other wheel types, avoid acidic wheel cleaners that will eat through the clear coat and cause damage to the painted finish.

Powder Coated: More popular in Europe than in the states, powder coating is applied electro statically and the use of heat allows it to cure. This is the most durable finish for a wheel and only requires a mild wheel cleaner or just soap and water to clean.

Chrome: If you've ever seen a brilliant shine on a wheel with a mirror like finish, you were looking at chrome. Although chrome wheels look great when clean, they are very hard to maintain and keep looking new. Chrome is easily damaged by brake dust and road debris. Acidic wheel cleaners can be used on REAL chrome (not: "chrome tech", which is plastic).

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Just wondering Nick, do you really need to use two products, the muc off for the wheels, and power clean for the tires? Or will the muc off clean thm both? I really like it when I don't have to use 2 different products to clean wheels + tires. It makes things much easier for me.

I used the wheel cleaner prior to this review and found that it didn't clean tires too well. Some wheel cleaners do a great job of cleaning both tires and wheels. Detailer's Pro Series Wheel Cleaner is an excellent example. This particular wheel cleaner is safe on ALL wheel finishes and also cleans tires exceptionally well. It kills two birds with one stone because you can use one product for two uses.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, great review! Your wheels didn't seem all that dirty. I am curious how it would do on a german car, like a BMW, or just a car that has absolutely filthy wheels
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like
    For not being cleaned for a month, your wheels were in amazing shape! I guess I'm just used to the brake dust of my 5000K a month driving. I might have to put this on my next order. I've been looking for a good wheel cleaner to fill the middle void between my harsh Meguiar's Wheel Brightener and my awesome yet expensive P21S and Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. It seems like I go through more wheel cleaner then any other product! Great review thanks Nick!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    Nick, great review! Your wheels didn't seem all that dirty. I am curious how it would do on a german car, like a BMW, or just a car that has absolutely filthy wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    For not being cleaned for a month, your wheels were in amazing shape! I guess I'm just used to the brake dust of my 5000K a month driving. I might have to put this on my next order. I've been looking for a good wheel cleaner to fill the middle void between my harsh Meguiar's Wheel Brightener and my awesome yet expensive P21S and Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. It seems like I go through more wheel cleaner then any other product! Great review thanks Nick!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    The OEM brake pads for my car were horrible with brake dust so I upgraded to a set of ceramic pads and haven't looked back. They produce much less brake dust and last far longer than their OEM counterparts.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Nick, looks good.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, I like that lug nut brush as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    you read my mind. On BMW's I find myself washing the wheels 2X.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast