autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Snow Mover Personal Snow Plow

We finally got the snow I've been waiting for! I don't have as much as some have, but that's because I live in the valley. Along the benches are absolutely dumped on. My co-worker has at least two feet of new snow in his back yard over the last 24 hours. I'm going to give him this device to review as soon as he digs his way out of his driveway and makes it down the mountain.

edit: Check out this video! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxs0ELG0mA]CLICK HERE[/video] That is how you DON'T get snow off your car. This post is here to offer you a better choice that A) doesn't take 90 minutes, and B) isn't a rusty dust pan. lol

Here is our test subject today:

So anyway, I am reviewing the Snow Mover Personal Snow Plow. I wanted to give this a really extreme test, so as I was shoveling the powder off my driveway, I decided to toss it up on my car to give it a little more depth. This amount of snow is not unrealistic though. I've actually had more snow than this on my car after a storm before.

I'll let the pictures and video do the talking from here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cxZv4XhLcw]Snow Mover Video[/video]

One other tool I'd like to review is the OXO snow brush. This is an awesome tool to keep in your car. The Snow Mover is for extreme "I left my car outside during the storm of the year" type snow. For more of the "It snowed really hard while I was at the mall" type snow you will need one of these.

These are great because of the handle which extends quite a way. The big plus for the Snow Mover is that you don't have to get right up against your snow covered vehicle to get the snow off it. The problem with brushes is that you end up getting covered with snow during the process of getting it off your car. Having an extendable handle like this one has will help reduce that problem. You still may get some snow on your shoes, but at least it won't fill your pockets.

As you can see, the brush bristles are pretty tall and that allows for easy clearing of the trunk if you have a spoiler.

It should snow the rest of the week, so I hope to pass these tools around the office and let other people give them a try so I can gather their reviews. I did this last year with my Ice Master and it was hard to get it back from people because they loved it so much, so we'll see if I'm able to retain ownership of my tools better this year. lol
    Last edited by OCDetails; 01-26-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snow Mover Personal Snow Plow

WOW I need one of those, oh wait it's 85 outside....no I don't sorry!

Mike Phillips

Awesome write-up, pictures and video!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    What kind of Christmas do you guys dream about down there? It has been a really long time since I've had a winter that didn't look like this. A white Christmas isn't such a bad thing though. I just wish I didn't have a total intolerance for cold. lol
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    You are a cruel individual!

That was a great video haha, entertaining commentary. Do you ever worry about the brush or the snow plow scratching the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

That was one of the reasons for the test. I was concerned that might happen, but it seems to be very safe. There are rubber bristles on the bottom of the brush that keep the paint and everything else safe.

This way if you catch your wiper nozzles or something you don't have to worry about damaging either the car or the brush. I've tried those styrofoam snow broom things before and they are crap. They never last me longer than one winter and then I'm out looking for another alternative. This seems to be the best solution I've found to date. Nice and compact, yet extends to a perfect length to keep the snow off your feet and out of your pockets.

Like any detailing tool, I'm sure if you wanted to hurt the paint then you could, but someone being careful shouldn't have anything to worry about. However, come spring if I find a bunch of marks on my paint because of this, then you can be sure I'll be back here to post about it. I tried using it 'as directed' and it worked out well. It didn't "feel" like it was hurting my paint any, but I'll be taking a close look at the end of winter to make sure. So far I can say it is very effective at getting the snow off the car and that is what I need it for.
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

My guess with a tool like this, how safe it is on your paint depends on how clean they paint was before the snow. If the paint had salt and other garbage all over it, pushing the snow over that grit could very easily marr the paint. Whereas if you have been keeping up with your winter washes (ONR or whatever) you would probably be pretty safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCDetails View Post
    What kind of Christmas do you guys dream about down there?
    We dream of a white Christmas down here too. White sandy beaches, just have a heck of a time getting all of the sand out of the carpets...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert31 View Post
    My guess with a tool like this, how safe it is on your paint depends on how clean they paint was before the snow. If the paint had salt and other garbage all over it, pushing the snow over that grit could very easily marr the paint. Whereas if you have been keeping up with your winter washes (ONR or whatever) you would probably be pretty safe.
    I live in a city with so much salt that they actually named the town after salt. lol (Salt Lake City) In the decade or so that I've lived here, I can't say that I've ever had salt on my car above the fenders. Typically it just plasters the sides of your car and doesn't go so far as to get on the hood, roof, or trunk. Since those are the areas you would be using this on, I think it is pretty safe.

Case in point, here is what my car typically looks like during a Utah winter.

It is so dirty that I think it is actually crying.

You can see that other than a little bit of road spray on the hood, most of the salt is confined to the sides. With winters like this, I expect to need to polish in the spring anyway, so if this creates a couple marks on the hood that I have to polish out, then fine. It will be no worse than the marks all that salt creates trying to scrub it off.
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

I generally stay away from Brushes that have a Scraper on the same end. Invariably what happens is... the Scraper contacts the Paint some-how some-way... and doesn't appear until the first Sunny-Day Car-Wash in the Spring.

I've had lots of success with the big Foam Snow Shovel, so in response to a previous Poster, there must be different qualities in Foam for these as well.
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast