autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Post PR: Wolfgang Swirl Remover Combo

Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo
    Wolfgang 16 oz. Swirl Remover Combo

I am reviewing the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 (WG TSR) and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 (WG FG).

From my understanding, these two products are meant to be used in conjunction with one another in order to achieve a swirl free high gloss finish.

This product was tested on a 1987 (seemingly) Original Single Stage Black Paint Jeep Cherokee. Yes, its paint looks as bad as you'd expect. This is a Christmas present for a friend's son (first car). For this test, I used the hood of the vehicle, since this is one of the easiest spots to work on (and the most banged up).

Product details and method of application:
    8oz. WG TSR - White in color, no noticeable scent. Normal polish consistency. I like the bottles that it comes in. I really like this smaller bottle size, and usually transfer all my products over into smaller 8oz bottles. So, this is a very handy size to pick up, then just order refills for. (Hint to Autogeek: I would like to see those bottles here).

Applied with PCXP and Orange 6.5" LC CCS Pad, speed 6. Removed using Supreme 530 Microfiber.

Product worked very nicely in a garage at ~60°. My work area was about 12x16 (worked best for the shape of the hood). I applied 4 pea sized drops to my pad upon initial usage, then just 2 pea size drops afterward. This seemed to be a good amount of product, as it spread nicely, didn't dry out to quickly, and remained effective in doing its job the entire buff cycle.

The directions state to use product until it starts to dry. It was a little hard to tell when it was dry, so I buffed until I wore through the paint...wait, no, that's bad.

I worked the product until it was visibly dry and no longer spreading across the surface of the paint. It was not at all finicky or hard to work. Used slow arm speed and moderate pressure. Wipe off was easy.

The TSR definitely removed the oxidation on this 22 year old paint job. After a Mineral Spirits wipe down and inspection with a Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light (BSFL) it had gotten rid of all the swirls. However, this is indeed a 22 year old paint job, so instead of Random Isolated Deeper Scratches, it was just covered in RDS. And LOTS of deep etching (birds, sap, mineral deposits, you name it).

So, with that in mind, the paints major defects were as clear as it was getting with this method of application without more serious correction (Read: Wet-Sanding). Remember, this is going to be a first vehicle, so removing more paint isn't as ideal as leaving some for him to play around on.

That said, I wasn't sure if I was going to be overly impressed with the FG, because the major defects were gone, and there was a shine back. I was wrong.

Product details and method of application:
    8oz. WG FG - Purple in color, no noticeable scent. Normal polish consistency.

Applied with PCXP and White 6.5" LC CCS Pad, speed 5, light pressure. Removed using Supreme 530 Microfiber.

About everything the same as with the TSR with exception to speed, and pressure applied. Buffing cycle on this polish seemed to be a little longer than the TSR (same instructions).

After using this product on my first work area the difference was pretty clear. I didn't expect it, but it was simply the black was more black. The areas surrounding my work area were just a shade more of gray. So it was nice to see the paint "pop". Again, a very easy product to apply and remove. Nothing to note about it being finicky, etc. I had no dusting issues out of either product, and the two pea sized drops were easily covering my work area.

I cleaned my pads via brush and air in between each work on the TSR, and every other with the FG. Since this is single stage paint, the color coming off and getting in the pad makes it pretty easy to see how gunked up your pad is. I normally would have stretched the cleaning out a little more, but wanted to be sure I gave this product a totally clear shot at doing it's job, no mistakes on my part that I could help.

I am not a pro by any means, but I am confident with my ability to work with these materials. I would say that these two products are very user friendly, and with just a little bit of testing, anyone could get a method down that would work for them on these products.

Bottom line: I like them and look forward to using them on some more vehicles. I plan to use them next on a black/clear coat vehicle.

General befores of the condition of the hood:

Afters and 50/50:

Left side not polished, Right side polished (TSR and FG) and MS wiped. Note the clarity.

Unpolished side:

Polished Side:

50/50:

Clarity:

Thanks. Hope you enjoyed the book of a review.

DLB
    Last edited by DLB; 02-03-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PR: Wolfgang Swirl Remover Combo

Thanks Dalton, Great review as always!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, thought I would see more of a dramatic difference in the before and after...especially on black paint. Do you think the Meg's 105/205 combo would give you better results? I know it's hard to judge by pictures and maybe it's more dramatic in person...Dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Sorry, thought I would see more of a dramatic difference in the before and after...especially on black paint. Do you think the Meg's 105/205 combo would give you better results? I know it's hard to judge by pictures and maybe it's more dramatic in person...Dunno.
    This vehicle is in need of major correction to really look good.
    That said, I do feel that on this application the Meg's Twins would be better. That is probably what I am going to finish out with.

Your judgment of the pictures is probably correct.

In defense of the WG Combo though - it is very easy to work with, and given the right circumstances I think you can achieve perfect results with it.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post
    This vehicle is in need of major correction to really look good.
    That said, I do feel that on this application the Meg's Twins would be better. That is probably what I am going to finish out with.

Your judgment of the pictures is probably correct.

In defense of the WG Combo though - it is very easy to work with, and given the right circumstances I think you can achieve perfect results with it.

DLB
    I just got the Wolfgang Twins from AG. Haven't used it yet, but have used Megs 105/205 and that combo is going to be hard to beat. I know Wolfgang is using Menzerna's abrasives and has a much longer working time than Meg's, but with the non-diminishing abrasives it cuts even better than Menz Power Gloss. Have you used the Meg's 105/205?

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review and write up!!!! Thanks for doing it!

For those that are saying the 105 could do better, well I should hope so. The 105 has a MUCH more aggressive abrasive makeup then does TSR. I think the before and after is right on par with what this particular polish should do. Although, one can easily see that to make this into a show car finish, would take some aggressive compounding to achieve.

Post Thanks / Like

To me there is not that big of a difference in the 50/50. It might be that the car need a major correction or the quality of the pictures.

Good Write Up
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net