autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

3" Mini Polisher- Gen II - Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

3" Mini Polisher- 2nd Generation Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

The new 2nd Generation Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher just arrived and I've been waiting for this little puppy to get here so I could take it for a test drive. I'm happy to say that it matches Griot's description of being *New & Improved* with the primary improvement being that it now has more power.

Like its big brother the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher, the new and improved Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher , (or 3MP), offers enough power to keep a 3" foam cutting pad rotating under pressure as long as you hold the pad flat and even if you get a little edgy with it.

I loved the "idea" of the first generation 3MP but it just didn't have enough umph to make a top shelf tool, this new Gen II version fixed that problem by increasing the power enough to enable this new version to keep their 3" foam polishing pad rotating under medium pressure on flat surface with no problem.

I did some experimenting with both firm to extreme pressure and on a flat surface it will keep the 3" pad rotating but slower than with just medium pressure but it will keep it rotating. I couldn't stop the pad when working on a flat surface even with a ridiculous amount of pressure.

Here's the point, when working on thin panels to remove swirls you need to keep the pad rotating but you don't want it rotating so fast under pressure that you generate too much heat or you turn the polishing process into a grinding process. In most situations you will be using light to medium pressure and changing your chemical to increase or decrease cutting ability.

It appears to me that Griot's has found the balance between too little and too much and tweaked this new version to work in that sweet spot for good correction ability.

Besides the increase in power there's also

• 240 Watt Motor
    • 3,500 to 10,000 OPM's - You'll mostly use the 4.6 speed range
    • An improved on/off switch
    • Soft start, constant speed feature
    • An ergonomic built-in grip at the head of the unit
    • 10' heavy duty cord
    • Steel bevel gear drive for smoother operation
    • A standard style backing plate with a 5/16" shaft instead of the previous backing plate that was held on with a Phillips Machine Screw

I'll need to use on some complete buff-outs to get a real-world feel for it before passing final judgment so this is just a primer to share with everyone interested in the new Gen II model.

Without further ado, here's some pictures...

As it comes packaged...

What's in the box...

The top model if Gen I and the bottom model is the new Gen II version

Then new Gen II version uses a normal style backing plate like larger dual action polishers instead of a backing plate held on with a Phillips machine screw.

It includes a set of extra brushes...

Testing rotating ability using some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0

On the 6.0 setting working on an A-Pillar

The thin panel surround a window on a Tahoe...

For more information:
    Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher
    Griot's Garage 3 Inch Orange Polishing Foam Pad 3 Pack
    Griot's Garage 3 Inch Mini Red Wax Pad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3" Mini Polisher- Gen II - Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

Is it a large improvement over Gen 1? With the current sale it seems like a nice deal...hmm but what could I use it for to justify buying it hmm..?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by agpatel View Post
    Is it a large improvement over Gen 1?
    In my first post I tried hard to explain that there's a balance between too much power and too little when working with reduced size pads and still being safe, as in no harming the paint during the process.

The first model was lacking in power for effective correction work because it didn't have enough power to keep the pad rotating, this new version does have the power so if that's fits your idea of what the word large means when you say large improvement then yes, it's a large improvement.

One thing for sure, buffing out thin panels is a pain when trying to use a full size DA Polisher or even a rotary buffer, the smaller size of the tool itself with the extra power is definitely to features working for the tool.

Again... I'll have to use it on a couple of "Completes" before I pass any kind of final judgment but from what I've used it for so far it has the power to keep the pad rotating and this will enable it to remove swirls. Afterwards you can slow it down and do any kind of finish polishing or apply a wax or paint sealant if you like.

Post Thanks / Like

If the gen. 2 stays running for more than 20 minutes it is an improvement over the first gen. polisher. I tried with 3 different ones and neither of the 3 even worked period. I honestly thought that it was just laughable that a store with such a great reputation and the most excellence in service such as AutoGeek would even handle such a tool. I have a real bad taste in my mouth about Griot's Garage because of this first gen. polisher. I am an optomistic type of person so I intend to follow this thread and others about this second Gen. polisher. I really want a 3 inch polisher in my arsonal of tools but haven't even been able to spread a single coat of wax with any of three first Gen. models

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    In my first post I tried hard to explain that there's a balance between too much power and too little when working with reduced size pads and still being safe, as in no harming the paint during the process.

The first model was lacking in power for effective correction work because it didn't have enough power to keep the pad rotating, this new version does have the power so if that's fits your idea of what the word large means when you say large improvement then yes, it's a large improvement.

One thing for sure, buffing out thin panels is a pain when trying to use a full size DA Polisher or even a rotary buffer, the smaller size of the tool itself with the extra power is definitely to features working for the tool.

Again... I'll have to use it on a couple of "Completes" before I pass any kind of final judgment but from what I've used it for so far it has the power to keep the pad rotating and this will enable it to remove swirls. Afterwards you can slow it down and do any kind of finish polishing or apply a wax or paint sealant if you like.

Hmm good paint Mike on my use of large. Going by some past reviews on Gen 1 the polisher didnt have much power at all, my use of large would be, can this be used to remove paint defects like a regular full size DA on smaller panels such as A-pillars and mirrors. I will look forward to see what you think after you put it through the ringer in future details!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wondering if this would be a good addition to the arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Would there be a huge advantage using this instead a PCxp with 3" pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    If the gen. 2 stays running for more than 20 minutes it is an improvement over the first gen. polisher. I tried with 3 different ones and neither of the 3 even worked period. I honestly thought that it was just laughable that a store with such a great reputation and the most excellence in service such as AutoGeek would even handle such a tool. I have a real bad taste in my mouth about Griot's Garage because of this first gen. polisher. I am an optomistic type of person so I intend to follow this thread and others about this second Gen. polisher. I really want a 3 inch polisher in my arsonal of tools but haven't even been able to spread a single coat of wax with any of three first Gen. models
    Did you get your money back?

Post Thanks / Like

What a big disappointment for me, to have the old version (Gen 1)and I haven't even used it yet... and now, this better one comes out.

That really sucks!

Especially when it sounds like the old one is a Dog.
    Last edited by 2003 GMC Denali; 11-19-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Did you get your money back?
    I want to clarify something about the customer service at autogeek before I answer this question, Dwayne at autogeek was very attentive to my needs as a customer and in my oppinion had gone way above the call of duty in taking care of this issue for me.
    He had even pulled the new one that he sent out of the box, inspected it, gave it a test drive and returned my calls immediately. He has made a life long customer out of me as I was very impressed with the level of service that AG supplies to the customer..

However I was the one who had tired of the returns and waiting for the new polishers to arrive just to find that it is still of the same quality. I just figured to chalk it up as a loss. For $78 it just wasn't worth my time as a very busy person(the height of my detailing season combined with my regular job) so I was the one who dropped the ball as far as getting my money back for this machine. So the answer is no I did'nt get my money back.

I just wanted to clarify that The service was exceptional and that I do not hold AG responsible for this failure. I am not complaining in this thread but giving my oppinion of the first GEN. polisher. The comfort in knowing that there is a place out there to shop at that holds such high standards of customer service was worth the $78 so I don't really see it as a loss at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast