autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3" Mini Polisher- Gen II - Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

I would have a seriously hard time buying another one of these poorly designed units whether it is 1st or 2nd generation. Griots Garage has made enough money from people continously buying another and another unit over and over again as if it was some disposable "BIC" lighter. $80 everytime something goes wrong with these pieces of junk starts to add up pretty quick. I'm a small mobile business who isn't willing to invest in risky adventures after I've already played guinea pig to these people. Mine is still under warranty but do you think I could get my money back - no way! Instead what a manufacturer will do is replace an exsisting problem with newer parts so the problem is only prolonged until your warranty runs out! I say save your money and instead buy a serious unit such as this The Metabo Heavy Duty SXE 400 Random orbital. It's a little more expensive as it is German made built to out last it's warranty rather than break down. I trusted Gariots Garage once... fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, so the saying goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrubs147 View Post
    I would have a seriously hard time buying another one of these poorly designed units whether it is 1st or 2nd generation. Griots Garage has made enough money from people continously buying another and another unit over and over again as if it was some disposable "BIC" lighter. $80 everytime something goes wrong with these pieces of junk starts to add up pretty quick. I'm a small mobile business who isn't willing to invest in risky adventures after I've already played guinea pig to these people. Mine is still under warranty but do you think I could get my money back - no way! Instead what a manufacturer will do is replace an exsisting problem with newer parts so the problem is only prolonged until your warranty runs out! I say save your money and instead buy a serious unit such as this The Metabo Heavy Duty SXE 400 Random orbital. It's a little more expensive as it is German made built to out last it's warranty rather than break down. I trusted Gariots Garage once... fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, so the saying goes.
    Sounds like you're one of those that has had repeated problems with the Griot's polisher... the Gen 1, I presume. There's a lot of posts on Forums by those that are real unhappy. The Gen 2 3" is my first Griot's purchaser and so far, so good. The machine corrects well and I've had no problems in the few limited times I've used it.

I can tell you the Metabo SXE400 isn't the answer, at least if you have any correction in mind. It's a nice machine for spreading wax or sealent or a very light polish or cleaner. But the least bit of pressure and the pad stops rotating. It just doesn't have the horsepower of the Griot's Gen 2. Works real well for polishing small bits though.

Your mileage may vary... TL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    By the words,

enough power

Do you mean spread out a coating of wax? Then yes, it can probably do that.

If you mean remove swirls, which is a nice way of saying remove some good paint off your car, then the answer is no and if it is possible it would be faster with the right tool for the job or remove the swirls by hand with Ultimate Compound.

4" pads are too much real estate to expect the 3" Mimi Polisher to ROTATE under pressure to remove paint. (remove swirls).

I recently got some of the Griot's 3" pads to use with my 3" polisher and I was amazed how much smaller they are than the 4" LC pads. Obviously they're an inch smaller in diameter but also the Griot's pads are much lower profile (a/k/a thinner). So I can certainly understand the machine being able to motivate the smaller pad much easier than the 4" pads.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like

I have used my Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher 2nd Gen for removing haze on plastic headlights. After 2500 grit wet sanding, (using combos of the 4" pads, Meg Ult Comp, and Meg SwirlX) and before applying a rejeX coating. I have never used another DA polisher, so I don't know how it compares with others. However, I have gotten great results and satisfied customers (though few, they are quite pleased ) with what I feel is a quality machine. It is amazing what a difference fogged headlights or hazed headlights vs clear headlights makes at night. Very noticeable difference in brighter headlights.

Now if only there was a market for this service where I am, I wouldn't have to sell my polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    Ditto on that comment about "Dwayne" (and everyone at AG period) for their Customer Service. I am impressed at their patience and willingness to help a novice like me on the phone, but also their knowledge base is outstanding and they give you an HONEST opinion along with an HONEST answer. Dwayne, Matt, John, Penny, Nicole have ALL been GREAT!! I am only looking forward to more pleasant experiences with them all down the road. Now if I could only get Mike's personal help line......

Post Thanks / Like

The 2nd gen 3" is a great tool for doing bumpers, pillars, winshield polishing, and headlight restoration. The only thing I have noticed is that it does run HOT. It does not effect the performance but it gets uncomfortable to the touch after not too long.

Post Thanks / Like

tell me please for europe have mini polishing machines on 220V not 110V like this Griot's 3" ?

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought one a few weeks ago! Love it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123