autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor Boys Wheel Sealant- On paint!

I decided that, since I love the slickness and durability of PBs wheel sealant, why not use it on paint?

So I tested it out on a spare hood (black) that I had laying around. I had it perfectly polished, IPA wipedown and ready to apply the sealant. It made the flake pop, and left a very impressive shine (similar to Collinite 915). So I applied one coat, buffed off and left the hood out for 3 months...

Today, I grabbed the hood and washed it off. Water was beading very well and after I dried it off, felt almost as slick as when I first applied it! I know its not specifically used for car paint, but why shouldnt we use it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor Boys Wheel Sealant- On paint!

Dunno why, but leaving a sealant on a hood without washing weekly would likely last longer than on a car that's washed weekly. That's a dozen washes vrs. no wash.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the next product to add to my want list.................

Post Thanks / Like

Rsurfer: Thats why I prefer working on cars that are rarely washed... Oxidization is better than swirls in my opinion. Your point is well taken, but 3 months of pollen, hard rain and mud (splashed up) that I allowed to build up is asking alot out one layer of any wax/sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    Rsurfer: Thats why I prefer working on cars that are rarely washed... Oxidization is better than swirls in my opinion. Your point is well taken, but 3 months of pollen, hard rain and mud (splashed up) that I allowed to build up is asking alot out one layer of any wax/sealant.
    It is a lot to ask, but a DD parked outside would have the same exposer plus the washings.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be rather interchangable, some use regular sealants on wheels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How about asking Poorboy's about using it on body paint? Maybe there is a long-term problem with using it there. I dunno

I would ask them, but I don't want to step on your toes. I love their EX-P and really want to know their response to the question about using the wheel wax on bodywork.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the paint on wheels is the same as paint on the car so I dont see any problems... Anyways, I really just wanted to see what it would look like since I love it on wheels so much. Im not planning on using it on paint, so no worries

If I were to compare it in looks, its similar to WG DPS in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it. Wheel sealant/wax products typically have heavy cleaners in them. OEM wheels have much more durable paint.

Look at it this way; you don't use wheel cleaner to wash your car, so don't use a wheel wax to wax your vehicle. Perhaps there are no effects after one application, but after repeated use there may be some damage done to the vehicle paint job.

If I were you and wanted to simplify my detailing shelf, I would just use one of my paint sealants on the wheels. Sealants typically have no trouble bonding to the wheels. But I have said this before and I'll say it again; sealed wheels should be cleaned with soap and water as a strong wheel cleaner will strip the sealant.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Im not trying to simplify my supplies, this was purely a durability test. It was a "I want to see what happens" kind of thing.

I already stated that I dont plan to use it on paint, hence my use of a scrap panel to apply it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast