autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguairs D170 Hyper Dressing

This review is for the D170 on exterior trim. I need to play with this product some more before I try using it on the interiors. Bare with me as some of the review covers the boring tune-up.

I had high hopes of doing an all purpose service on my wife's Infiniti FX35: changing the oil & air filter, rotating the tires, washing, claying and finally using my new Flex to fix some major water spots and swirl marks.

I started with a wash, did a half dry job, since I planned on claying. When I pulled it into the garage and got the front end lifted I remembered the dreaded belly pan that is held in place by 12 bolts. I'm not sure if the belly pan is for aero dynamics, noise control, or off roading/snow, but it's a serious PITA to get off. I drained the oil and while I was waiting for the dripping to finish I went after the air filter. The air filter is buried among hard plastic pipes and elbows. You have to loosen several bolts, and one hose clamp to get at the filter box. Since I had most of this stuff loose I decided to pull out all this plastic and give it a proper rub down. I sprayed it with some APC+, agitated it with a fender soft bristle brush, and rinsed with my pressure washer. What a great job the APC+ does on killing all the fine dust that lives inside the air intake pipes, and all the grease and road grime that's caked on the outside! As a dressing I sprayed some D170, let is sit for a few minutes and as I reassembled I would wipe with a cotton towel. It looked great! I reinstalled the belly pan and cleaned up and went inside for dinner. Sorry, I didn't think to take pictures of the nice clean engine detail, or the belly pan.

After pizza I came back out I had lost all my motivation for detailing. I was even too lazy to rotate the tires. But since the car was up on jacks I figured it was a good time to detail all the black plastic that makes up the bottom of the bumpers, and the bottom of the side skirts. Luckily this product is thin enough to be soaked up by a sponge and is water soluble. The stuff I was working with was diluted 3:1. I used the scrubby side of a kitchen sponge and scrubbed/coated all of the plastic trim, including opening the doors to get access to the toe kicks. Then I went around and used a towel to wipe all the excess off. For the wheel wells I gave 3 or 4 mists into the finders to give a light coat to all the plastic and suspension bits.

For the tires I sprayed it directly onto the tires and used a tire scrub brush to work it in. I didn't get the tires totally clean to start with, since I had planned on detailing the wheels individually as I took them off. I let the solution soak into the tire as I wiped the wheels down with D155 Last Touch Detailer. I used a cotton cloth to wipe the excess off the tires.

Verdict (Review in Summary)
    D170 works great on hard plastic and soft rubber door gaskets. It works great on engine bits. It's light enough to become a fine mist for misting the underside of fenders with out dripping or running. On tires you need to start with clean tires, then you might need two coats to finish the job.

Here's some progress pics of the tires:

Tires before, messy wheels, dirty tires.

After being sprayed and scrubbed. I think I used a little too much, but no big deal.-

After single wipe down with cotton towel.-

after wheel was quick detailed and tire wiped down once more. Notice wheel well and plastic fender trim looks great, not too shiny or too matte.-

When I get some time this week I'll do a write up on cleaning/waxing this beast. I'll report on how the D170 holds up after a wash.

Last edited by santov; 06-08-2009 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguairs D170 Hyper Dressing

interested to know how shiny it is after a couple of days, right now for me, that is just to much shine...
    Matt Ferguson
    Needed Touch Detailing
    Making the city shine, one car at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hyperdressing is great, does not last to long by itself in my opinion. I love it on engines though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGolfRider View Post
    interested to know how shiny it is after a couple of days, right now for me, that is just to much shine...
    It can be diluted 1:1 to 4:1 depending on how shiney you like it to be

Post Thanks / Like

so what CAN you put on tires that wont just come off on a few days? I mean when you first buy tires they stay pretty well lubed up and shiny for a few months, then they get dry and its an endless battle of applying everything under the sun. I have quit using Megs Hot shine and Black magic because they just dry out the rubber and leave your tires brown....

So what CAN you use that isnt silicone based (bad for tires) and will last more than a few days?
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 360_detail View Post
    so what CAN you put on tires that wont just come off on a few days? I mean when you first buy tires they stay pretty well lubed up and shiny for a few months, then they get dry and its an endless battle of applying everything under the sun. I have quit using Megs Hot shine and Black magic because they just dry out the rubber and leave your tires brown....

So what CAN you use that isnt silicone based (bad for tires) and will last more than a few days?
    Well, there are good and bad types of silicone. Not sure if the Hot Shine caused your tires to turn brown, sounds like blooming to me.

Meguiars Silicone free dressing?