autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Mohs Evo and The Curse of the White Perl

First off to set everyone's mind at ease, I have only good things to say about Mohs.

TLDR summary: Mohs Evo is an amazing coating.

Now for those that stuck around...

Late last November just as used car prices were falling and just a week or two before interest rates shot up, we scooped up a CPO 2019 Acura MDX. At the time the weather was getting cold and it wasn't a good time to do a full detail, so I slapped a layer of Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant on it and waited for Spring. My original intent was to do a fully documented detail on the vehicle with lots of pictures. However, once I got started I remembered how it is nearly impossible to get any good pictures while detailing a white car, so this will now just be a quick overview of the work and a review of the coating. The curse of white colored cars: It's really hard to see your work and when you're done any real improvements are REALLY hard to see.

Detailing summary: The paint on the vehicle was in pretty rough shape. When I put it under the lights and got a good look I felt like I just brought home a neglected pet from a rescue shelter. Despite a good interior and being mechanically sound, the white paint was hiding a lot of automatic car wash abuse. In it's previous life the dealership used it as a service loaner, so it probably saw the wash bay at least a couple times a week. I polished it out with an assortment of cutting and polishing pads and used Blackfire Compound on most areas. Wolfgang Uber Compound was used on really bad areas, mostly the middle door areas on both sides. My original intent was to use Griots Correcting Cream, but the product in my bottle separated since I last used it. Fortunately I had samples of the other products still lying around. To Griots credit, I've got a new bottle on the way, no questions asked. Lesson learned: Check you inventory before taking off work and starting the job!

Now to the good stuff: Gyeon Mohs Evo

Before applying the coating I watched a couple video's to make sure I knew what I was getting into. One thing that stood out while watching Esoteric's video was Todd going on about how easy Mohs Evo is to apply. At the time, I thought it couldn't be as good as easy as he said...nope, he was right. There are two reasons why I felt the coating was so easy to apply.

1. It flashes fairly quickly and the "seating action" is really easy to spot. Even on white paint if you get the lighting right. As soon as the little sweat beads show up, it's ready to go. In the mild/humid conditions of my garage, this was around 15~20 seconds. Just enough time to do a 2x2 section, put down the coating bottle and grab your buffing towel.

2. Wipe off was effortless. With CQUK 3.0 or even Pure EVO, even if you wait out the longer flash time, there is always the potential for light smearing or streaking when buffing it out. With those coatings you also need to have both a short nap towel and a longer nap towel to do a good two step buff off. With Mohs EVO you need none of that. The minute you see the sweat beads the buff off with a low nap towel is an effortless swipe and there is no danger of smearing or streaking which often leads to ugly high spots. The easiest coating to buff out by a very wide margin.

Those two factors meant I was able to work really rapidly and move right around the vehicle one section at a time. With longer flashing coatings I frequently find myself standing around with multiple panels covered just waiting for the coating to flash. Lots of lost time. Not so with the Mohs EVO. I did the whole application in record time for me on a vehicle this size.

Mohs Evo is also slicker feeling than CQUK or Pure Evo, if that is your thing. I could actually feel the surface change while I was buffing it out. Never noticed that outside a couple sealants before. It's not a big deal to me, but I know it is for many.

Despite the difficulties with white, the end result is a nice look which is crisper, and brighter, and the coating adds a nice layer of gloss.

If Mohs Evo stands up to its claims in durability and water behavior, it will replace CQUK as my go-to coating and the one I'll recommend to others as well. The ease of application is a huge win. In a world when most coatings look pretty good and last several years, ease of application is a great way to stand out from the rest.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes SNP209, Bruno Soares, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Mohs Evo and The Curse of the White Perl

I also liked Mohs EVO. I do think it gets clogged easier than CQ UK 3.0. But the single layer and speed to apply makes it worth it. I think if time is not an issue, I’d pick UK 3.0 + Gliss or + SiC due to how good that coating is. More work, more time, but I think it looks better and lasts longer, at least as far as having water behavior masked by contaminants which do come off with a decontamination wash.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Another MOHS EVO fan here. I watched the Esoterica video, as well as a couple of others, and thought the same thing....it can not possibly be that easy. It was my first coating, and it absolutely is as easy as the videos show. It's been on my truck for 6 months, and I do have a tendency to agree with Bruno Soares....it does seem to clog easily....but it also 'unclogs' just as easily (quick touchless wash with BH Touchless). Status Detail has a good video on it, and he seems to like it, which was probably the last bit I needed to get me to take the plunge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Another MOHS EVO fan here. I watched the Esoterica video, as well as a coupe of others, and thought the same thing....it can not possibly be that easy. It was my first coating, and it absolutely is as easy as the videos show. It's been on my truck for 6 months, and I do have a tendency to agree with Bruno Soares....it does seem to clog easily....but it also 'unclogs' just as easily (quick touchless wash with BH Touchless). Status Detail has a good video on it, and he seems to like it, which was probably the last bit I needed to get me to take the plunge.
    Touch less does work pretty well. I plan on using that followed by CarPro Descale soon. That should bring the nice tight beads back. Just waiting for this pollen to settle down a bit.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Vehicles looks nice!

Agreed mohs evo is the easiest coating to apply that i have used thus far. Nice and slick. Ive use it twice, only had it on the buick for just over a month now, no clogging issues yet.

Wondering is there a need to do a followup hand wash if using descale in a bucket wash? Asking because if this coating does clog easier... then it does worry me about using it on other ppls vehicles. Cuz its not easy to get it back from them all the time to decon it. Would be nice to just give them some descale and do it themselves

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The comments about the coating clogging up is curious. Are you just saying the water behavior goes flat if it gets dirty and then return quickly after a wash, or does it slowly lose it's water properties and then needs to be "shocked" back to life with something like Reset?

One thing I do like about CQUK 2.0 and 3.0 is it doesn't seem to clog up very easily. Both of my daughters cars have worn CQUK when they went off to college. Those vehicles would sit in a dorm parking lot outdoors 24/7. They would only get washed about 4~5 times a year, but the coating always seemed to be visible until the cars were at their filthiest, or just totally entombed in pollen.

This will be a good test of the product as this MDX will see plenty of miles in all weather conditions. Right now my car with Pure Evo is doing great after a year. It was seriously filthy after bein in lots of rain and sitting at the airport for several days. Water beading/sheeting was still going strong and after a quick monsoon rain we got yesterday, it's almost totally clean. Good stuff... We'll see how this Mohs Evo does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The comments about the coating clogging up is curious. Are you just saying the water behavior goes flat if it gets dirty and then return quickly after a wash, or does it slowly lose it's water properties and then needs to be "shocked" back to life with something like Reset?

One thing I do like about CQUK 2.0 and 3.0 is it doesn't seem to clog up very easily. Both of my daughters cars have worn CQUK when they went off to college. Those vehicles would sit in a dorm parking lot outdoors 24/7. They would only get washed about 4~5 times a year, but the coating always seemed to be visible until the cars were at their filthiest, or just totally entombed in pollen.

This will be a good test of the product as this MDX will see plenty of miles in all weather conditions. Right now my car with Pure Evo is doing great after a year. It was seriously filthy after bein in lots of rain and sitting at the airport for several days. Water beading/sheeting was still going strong and after a quick monsoon rain we got yesterday, it's almost totally clean. Good stuff... We'll see how this Mohs Evo does.
    For me, the hood went relatively flat, and all it took was a quick dwell of Touchless and a rinse and it bounced right back. It sits outside 24/7, and had not been washed in quite a while. Check out the Status Detail video....his experience was a little different (better) than mine....which I chalk up to user error on my part.

Post Thanks / Like

Mohs Evo did just fine for me and didn’t clog up. Most coatings will clog up with lack of washing.

10. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I bet it’s related to the car being outside all the time and not washed regularly. Water beading from rain starts to look pretty bad but then with a wash it returns.
    When I had a car that stayed outside 24x7 and was coated with UK3.0 that didn’t happen, beading was always pretty strong.
    Bruno Soares

12. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Yeah, I bet it’s related to the car being outside all the time and not washed regularly. Water beading from rain starts to look pretty bad but then with a wash it returns.
    When I had a car that stayed outside 24x7 and was coated with UK3.0 that didn’t happen, beading was always pretty strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Mohs Evo did just fine for me and didn’t clog up. Most coatings will clog up with lack of washing.
    Good to know, thanks! If a simple wash is all it takes, I'm not worried at all. This vehicle will be garage kept yet still see long distance travel.

14. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast