autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

I Was Schooled In Detailing

With the van build taking off and we're gaining support from several supporters and vendors, Our local Autozone offered to support the build also. But they didn't offer any products. Except they offered a personalized one to one detailing class just for me. They brought in their detailing expert to show me several products for the van. I was drawn toward the Chemical Guys products back I wanted something I can use quickly and easily on the van without a lot of work. Even with my bad back and shoulder I was able to wipe down the entire van with their Quick Detailing spray. In fact, half of the detail spray covered the entire van and what a shine. I was and still am impressed. It removed water spots from the days rain and the van actually smells lemon fresh. With the new wheels on the van I'll also purchase the wheel cleaner with a few new detailing brushes. The only thing lacking is at some point next spring, I'll need someone to buff or wax the van for me.
    Attachment 75991
    However not all products used on the van were from chemical guys.. this Cristal Product tire shine was purchased at Walmart an POW what a shine. What you're looking at is a new set of Axe CS Lite Hyper Black 19x8.5 (measures 20x9.5) wheels(Ordered From England) w/ 245/40/R19 Nokian tires. Wouldn't you know it.. once the wheels were mounted on the van, the wife tells me she would rather have red calipers instead of the blue ones.. So I'm doing some searching and contacted YellowSpeed, R1 Concepts and a couple others to see if they can create a big brake kits for the van.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Was Schooled In Detailing

Cool story. My wife wouldn't know a brake caliber from a alternator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Cool story. My wife wouldn't know a brake caliber from a alternator
    Especially since it's a caliper

4. Thanks Flash Gordon thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Especially since it's a caliper

Post Thanks / Like

The 19s look awesome, did they already come with the correct lug pattern or was some sort of modification required?

Its great to hear you're gathering a number of sponsors and even your local auto zone is supporting you, however I'd steer clear of Chemical Guy's products for the most part. If you're looking for a good quick detailer thats available at auto zone Griot's Best of Show detailer is head and shoulders above the Chemical Guy's product and smells amazing! Also it works great in direct sunlight. My personal favorite is Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer due to the hydrophobic characteristics it provides.

As for wheel cleaners I'd stay away from Chemical Guy's as well. Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner is a solid performer and if you're looking for a wheel & tire cleaner Meguiar's "Hot Rims" wheel & tire cleaner performs well in that capacity. Personally soap and water work for me but I did swap out my brake pads for powerstop evolution pads (lovin these pads) so I think that has a lot to do with it, also the weather around here is pretty mild for the most part.

Keep us posted, pretty sure I said this before but I dig the build.

7. Likes LostInTransit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@SNP209 these wheels are no longer available in the US or there is a very low inventory within the US. I was forced to order these from England via Performance Alloy. The wheels were ordered as blanks, then performance allow sent the blanks to their shop to have them milled to the 5x108 bolt pattern. These wheels are normally seen on the VW caddy in UK.

I was actually going to order a set of the polished alloys, but heard several horror stories about the care for those wheels. I also fear that shipping the wheels from UK to US was going to cost an arm and leg. Although Customs raped the boxes the wheels cam in, the wheels were not damaged and delivered 3 days earlier than expected without any customs fees. Also, I would highly recommend using Discount Tire to have new wheels test fitted and new tires installed by them. We drove 3 hours to the closest DT to have them do just that.
    Attachment 75999
    Don't let this picture fool you.. these wheels are big and wide.. I wasn't sure they would fit.. bit they did without scrubbing.. until this past weekend while shopping, we drove over some railroad tracks and heard something scrub in the front wheel wells. Next on tap.. 40mm lowering springs on just the rear of the van and again getting these from UK, Netherlands in fact.

As for the products, Axe themselves suggested what product I should use on the wheels and tire, but I'll keep the warring in mind about the chemical guys wheel cleaner.

#LivenTheLowLife