autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire coating

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire coating

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I expected that answer and don’t disagree with it. I’ve only worked with a few tire coatings and the only way I’ve been able to get more gloss out of them is with extra coats. I really didn’t notice any real differences between the tire coatings I’ve used, they all seem to be similar products.
    Well... there are some differences The first one I used was Turtle Wax, can't remember what they called it. That stuff was awesome! It had a black dye in the coating, was really easy to apply and lasted a long time. For some reason they removed that product from the market ;(

Then I tried Optimum's Tire Coating. It was ok but working it a little made it felt like you were spreading a light glue / or tacky syrup. I really did not like the application but it did last a long time so it did it's job.

The one I settled on was McKee's 37 Tire coating and I have been happy with it so far.

Thanks to The Guz I was made aware of a new formulation. So I ordered a bottle today. Curious to see if it will be better

2. Likes The Guz, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Well... there are some differences The first one I used was Turtle Wax, can't remember what they called it. That stuff was awesome! It had a black dye in the coating, was really easy to apply and lasted a long time. For some reason they removed that product from the market ;(
    You’re talking about this.

Thanks to the generosity of this forum I still have a bottle. The good thing about it is that as long as the base layer is the tire coating, the trim coating can be used to top it off and I’ve got like 5 bottles of the trim coating. Lol.

I used to use this stuff on alot of peoples cars back then.. I wish I would’ve saved it but then again who would’ve thought Turtle Wax would be so stupid to discontinue it.

4. Likes Vegas1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You’re talking about this.

Thanks to the generosity of this forum I still have a bottle. The good thing about it is that as long as the base layer is the tire coating, the trim coating can be used to top it off and I’ve got like 5 bottles of the trim coating. Lol.

I used to use this stuff on alot of peoples cars back then.. I wish I would’ve saved it but then again who would’ve thought Turtle Wax would be so stupid to discontinue it.
    Yes exactly the stuff I was talking about! I still have the trim coating but it's nowhere as good as Solution Finish so I never use it.

Post Thanks / Like

For my customers opting for a tire coating it's clean several times with APC and a drill brush. Then 1 x OPT Tire Coating. I'm getting an average of 4 months for several customers. Some go 2-3 months and some go about 7 months.

I think it varies a bit due to rubber compond. It certainly varies with driving behavior.

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tirw coating game has seem to get stagnant and Mckee’s, TufShine and Optimum seem to be the one’s still around. Stick with the Mckee’s.

For cleaning I would use something other than BB. Whatever else you mentioned has got to be better or even an APC.

I like 303 T&R and TufShine cleaner.

And if just giving the tire one hood cleaning I would look into a drill brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    The Tirw coating game has seem to get stagnant and Mckee’s, TufShine and Optimum seem to be the one’s still around. Stick with the Mckee’s.

For cleaning I would use something other than BB. Whatever else you mentioned has got to be better or even an APC.

I like 303 T&R and TufShine cleaner.

And if just giving the tire one hood cleaning I would look into a drill brush.

Did you have bad experiences with Break Buster? I have not used it in a while because Meg's non-acid wheel cleaner is usually cheaper but my experience with BB has been awesome. I dilute it 3:1 and it pulls the browning from the tires like crazy. I have tried APCs, my default product is Super Clean but even at 2:1, it won't clean as well as BB or NAWC.

Never tried 303 T&R, might have to give that a try next time I order.

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    For my customers opting for a tire coating it's clean several times with APC and a drill brush. Then 1 x OPT Tire Coating. I'm getting an average of 4 months for several customers. Some go 2-3 months and some go about 7 months.

I think it varies a bit due to rubber compond. It certainly varies with driving behavior.
    2 months is really not a long time for a coating. You are getting in great dressing territory. Maybe you should try McKee's next time you order. I know that for me, it was a great improvement over Optimum's.

12. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Did you have bad experiences with Break Buster? I have not used it in a while because Meg's non-acid wheel cleaner is usually cheaper but my experience with BB has been awesome. I dilute it 3:1 and it pulls the browning from the tires like crazy. I have tried APCs, my default product is Super Clean but even at 2:1, it won't clean as well as BB or NAWC.

Never tried 303 T&R, might have to give that a try next time I order.
    I like BB a lot for maintenance washes but not to strip tires for coatings. I washed and scrubbed 3 times with TufShine tire brush till only white foam showed up.

Decided to follow with 303 and got a good amount of browsing to come up. Did it on another tire same conclusion.

With a drill brush I can do one good deep pass and tires are good.

Post Thanks / Like

TuffShine is the one thing I tried when i first started this detailing stuff that i never looked to 'improve'. Initial cleaning/application is a bit of a chore but very, very minimal effort after that.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    TuffShine is the one thing I tried when i first started this detailing stuff that i never looked to 'improve'. Initial cleaning/application is a bit of a chore but very, very minimal effort after that.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Been a fan of Tuff Shine until I got some new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's. No matter how well I cleaned (drill brush) or no matter what I used to clean, the tires would not take the coating evenly. And yes I ran it for a couple of months before deep cleaning and coating. Tires are like paint in many ways, some will take a product well and others just looks like crap.

16. Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast