autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin Wash Mitt; Fail

I purchased a new fine grade Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash mitt in June and used it exclusively on the paint correction project for my new Lexus

I am 2/3 of the way around the car, a panel at a time, and earlier this week the mitt failed to remove contamination from the door I was working on

I changed my lubricant twice and it made no difference

After I finished I washed everything up and did my laundry, cleaned my pads, and hung the mitt to dry and when I went to put the mitt away I found this

The mitt has become so sticky I pressed my fingers down and it stuck so hard I could pick it up and shake it and it didn’t let go

I contacted Nanoskin and started a dialogue

They wanted to know what I had used for lubrication and I told them ONR WW strength with a bit of Gold Class which worked beautifully from day one and then I told them I tried a straight shampoo solution when it stopped working

They got back to me today and told me that based on other customer feedback that the issue was PROBABLY due to my choice of lubricant, that ONR or Gold Class had PROBABLY attacked the polymer

Or

It was down to me storing it WITH OTHER DETAILING PRODUCTS which MIGHT HAVE out gassed and destroyed the polymer

The advised me if I decided to try their products again to be sure to use their proprietary chemicals for lube and to store the mitt differently

The mitt was stored in its clamshell case, after being air dried, on an open wire shelf in a garage

I don’t think out gassing is the problem

And if ONR or Gold Class destroys polymers we are all doomed

Needless to say this is my last dealing at all with Nanoskin

No “we are sorry” or “that sucks, how can we help”

Just dumped it back on me with lame theories and blame

Rant over

Sorry to be so negative about the product but I am totally underwhelmed by their “customer service”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes Bosko, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin Wash Mitt; Fail

I used a nanoskin sponge once with ONR and it turned super sticky, not sure why. Then bought Glide and a new nanoskin disc (or whatever the round one is called) and used just their lube, haven’t had an issue since. I never understood what caused it and can’t believe it’s ONR but it sure works better with their lube. I never tried to get warranty on my sponge and it was only used once.
    Bruno Soares

4. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    I used a nanoskin sponge once with ONR and it turned super sticky, not sure why. Then bought Glide and a new nanoskin disc (or whatever the round one is called) and used just their lube, haven’t had an issue since. I never understood what caused it and can’t believe it’s ONR but it sure works better with their lube. I never tried to get warranty on my sponge and it was only used once.
    I have seen several places where people just used soap and honestly that was part of the appeal

Not having to use proprietary chemicals

I can’t see ONR or Gold Class screwing this up either

I’m sticking with clay for now

6. Likes Bruno Soares, Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used one of the Nanoskin sponges twice with disastrous results. Despite being the "mild" grade pad it resulted in terrible marring on the vehicles. Far worse than a claybar would ever inflict. I used Glide, and no matter how much I put down, terrible marring was the name of the game...even on hard, black metallic VW paint. Other QD's were no better than glide.

After letting my pad dry and storing it in their "provided storage pouch" it too stuck and I ended up ripping half the rubber working surface because it had bonded with the pouch. Just a big sticky mess. This was following my second use and just prior to my third attempt. Good thing I had some clay on hand.

My whole Nanoskin experience scarred be bad enough I've used traditional clay for years ever since. I'm only now thinking about trying a claying mitt again, but there is no way it will be a Nanoskin product.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes chilly, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I used one of the Nanoskin sponges twice with disastrous results. Despite being the "mild" grade pad it resulted in terrible marring on the vehicles. Far worse than a claybar would ever inflict. I used Glide, and no matter how much I put down, terrible marring was the name of the game...even on hard, black metallic VW paint. Other QD's were no better than glide.

After letting my pad dry and storing it in their "provided storage pouch" it too stuck and I ended up ripping half the rubber working surface because it had bonded with the pouch. Just a big sticky mess. This was following my second use and just prior to my third attempt. Good thing I had some clay on hand.

My whole Nanoskin experience scarred be bad enough I've used traditional clay for years ever since. I'm only now thinking about trying a claying mitt again, but there is no way it will be a Nanoskin product.
    So, I am sensing a pattern here

3 of us with essentially the same results

Yeah, I will think long and hard about any more clay alternative purchases

Clay is a PITA but you know what you are going to get

10. Likes mbkite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh Mike, you just wore out the mitt from claying so much.

12. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Ahh Mike, you just wore out the mitt from claying so much.
    So you are saying I shouldn’t have clayed the cinder block walls in the garage?

Hmmmmm…

14. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had several with the same issue. I still have a few in stock, will use them up and look for another ‘brand’ and see how they fare…
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

16. Likes chilly, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The disc has yet to disappoint me. It’s a different material than the sponge and had worked well. I have another new sponge in the package but haven’t used it as I’m afraid it too will end up sticky.
    Bruno Soares

18. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

I thought it was just me, but I have the fine-grade Nano sponge (blue), and only use it on hard to reach areas. But yeah, the damn thing feels like fly paper when I'm done. (I use Griot's Speed Shine as lube).

I use the Griot's synthetic disc (hand-held) for the other 99.5% of the truck, and it never fails to perform.

Those Nano's (Mitts, sponges, and machine discs) are pretty damn pricy too........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

20. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast