autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

2nd 303 Graphene experience

Just over 3 months ago, I tried out 303's Graphene Nano Spray Coating. Looking back now, I made several mistakes with it.

First, I didn't let it 'set up' for the recommended 5 minutes, I buffed it off sooner (which according to 303 will negatively affect the longevity). Too, I immediately (within the hour) applied a 2nd coat instead of waiting 12 - 24 hours. Three months later, the appearance was still mostly there - even though it went almost 2 months without any maintenance (washing / topping). The water behavior definitely took a hit with the most affected areas being the top surfaces of the car, showing the least amount of beading/sheeting.

This time, I took more care in how I applied the 303. I divided the car into 3 large sections and two smaller sections. The hood/roof/trunk lid and glass being one section. The right and left sides of the car was each a section (fender/door/quarter panel) and finally the front and rear bumper covers. The 303 applies so fast and so easily, it's easier for me to apply it to a larger section of the car, so by the time I finish application to that section, it's been roughly 5 minutes and time to start buffing it off.

So I would apply it to the top section, then buff it off. Next I would apply it to both sides of the car, then buff off each side in turn. Then I would get the front bumper cover then the rear then buff off. Doing it this way and allowing at least 5 minutes to "haze" made a big difference in removal. I thought it was easier, took less pressure on the microfiber towel and it generally removed 'cleaner' than the 1st time I used it.

I applied the "1st" coat at about 6pm, about the time it's starting to get dark here in Ohio. Then I let the car sit in the garage until about noon the next day (That's when I washed & coated the wife mobile) and I applied the 2nd coat around 1 pm, so around 19 hours between coats. The 2nd coat went a lot faster IMO, it just seemed to go quicker. Once finished with coat #2, I went to bed since I had to work that night.

When I got up the garage was dark, so I couldn't see the car to tell how it looked, but I had to stop and get gas and in the lights of the gas station - WOW...jet black, glossy as all get out and talk about a DEEP reflection...Gorgeous!!!

I'm off work Weds/Thurs and I can't wait to put a 3rd coat on the car since based on what I saw the 3 months ago and what 303 says about 3 coats (They say 3 coats is the max you need to do and that it's the bomb as far as appearance, and I agree).

In the last few days, since I work nights, the car has been heavily coated with dew when I get off work. Once I hit the highway, the dew FLIES off the car once I'm over 40 mph, and by the time I hit 65, the car is practically dry. Kind of neat to watch.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2nd 303 Graphene experience

Is it just as grabby after 3 coats?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Is it just as grabby after 3 coats?
    It still kind of feels like you're removing an old school paste wax, but when it's allowed to haze over like 303 recommends, it's not terribly bad. The surface isn't super slick like with other products, but it does feel super smooth.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are liking it. Goes to show how different people can have different opinions.

I thought it was ok for small parts, like my motorcycles, but hated it when I tried it on my truck.

On the larger panels it's just too hard to wipe off and I can't handle the non-slick surface it leaves behind. The only way to wipe it off easily is to wipe it immediately... I found that the longer it flashes the harder it is to remove.

On my truck, which is black, it took so much effort to remove that I experienced random scratching during the wipe off. The only way I could get around the random scratching was to rewet the surface and then buff it immediately without any flash time.

5. Likes Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    It still kind of feels like you're removing an old school paste wax, but when it's allowed to haze over like 303 recommends, it's not terribly bad. The surface isn't super slick like with other products, but it does feel super smooth.
    I've not used the 303 product, but I think it's important to realize the grabby-ness often is a sign of the products hydrophobic properties. Those which are a little grabby and not buttery slick tend to sheet water better than the super slick products.

For me, I try to avoid running my hands over my paint because it leaves fingerprints. Therefore, I really don't care how slick a surface feels.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've not used the 303 product, but I think it's important to realize the grabby-ness often is a sign of the products hydrophobic properties. Those which are a little grabby and not buttery slick tend to sheet water better than the super slick products.

For me, I try to avoid running my hands over my paint because it leaves fingerprints. Therefore, I really don't care how slick a surface feels.
    The problem for me with the lack of slickness is that when I clean my truck with a quick detailer or waterless wash, which I do quite often, it's hard to wipe the surface without the towel grabbing and rolling under my hand. It takes literally 2-3 times longer because I'm struggling to wipe in a clean, smooth and consistent manner.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had any grabbing from the get-go… I put on two coats of 303 and then proceeded to do touchless washes every couple weeks and occasional rinseless washes with car Pro Ech20. I did enhance the slickness a bit by wiping down the car every quarter with car Pro elixir. 11 months after the 303 went on, it still looks perfect…
    Glen -