autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Underrated/Overlooked: Meguiar’s Hybrid Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    4 months isn't very impressive. Zaino did that 20 years ago.
    I never said it only lasted 4 months. Read my post again. I said that it worked solidly for 4 months BEFORE winter hit when I couldn't hand wash any more due to freezing weather. So I could no longer record water behavior after that point.

I also said I have not yet performed a decon wash this season to see for sure how HPC is holding up, or if its even there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Boxes arrived today. Can's are tiny.....and I'm generally not the hugest fan of aerosol's in general.
    How many coats/cars have you eeked out of 1 can. Maybe 1 1/2 cars ?

I've been using Sonax BSD on my hood recently in lieu=of 3in1
    Let's see how long or *not* MHPC will last on PPF.
    Like I said in my OP, nothing seems to adhere/last on PPF so ROI is relative to cost of product to some degree..
    Bump to keep this thread alive. I'm curious about this stuff too. Grabbed it for under $30 locally and thinking of using it on my wife's daily that sits outside. It's coated with mckee's coating but probably needs a refresh after 2 years. Looking for a low effort coating/sealant this time around. What's your take on BSD vs 3in1? I've tried BSD in the past but haven't tried 3in1.

What PPF are you using? I have a car with suntek Ultra on the front/hood and it was hard to tell when the coating died on it (UK 3.0) because it was decently hydrophobic when naked. I use a topper on my coatings pretty regularly so I never bothered to recoat it and just use the spray topper on it instead. Honestly makes me wonder if it's worth the effort to use anything more than cancoat going forward as far as application process goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, I put HPC on both of my daily drivers in early February. They get washed every week or every other week with either Megs Hyper Wash or OP Eco Wash. So far so good, but will be interested to see how it holds up after our hot AZ summer.

4. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rand0m View Post
    Bump to keep this thread alive. I'm curious about this stuff too. Grabbed it for under $30 locally and thinking of using it on my wife's daily that sits outside. It's coated with mckee's coating but probably needs a refresh after 2 years. Looking for a low effort coating/sealant this time around. What's your take on BSD vs 3in1? I've tried BSD in the past but haven't tried 3in1.

What PPF are you using? I have a car with suntek Ultra on the front/hood and it was hard to tell when the coating died on it (UK 3.0) because it was decently hydrophobic when naked. I use a topper on my coatings pretty regularly so I never bothered to recoat it and just use the spray topper on it instead. Honestly makes me wonder if it's worth the effort to use anything more than cancoat going forward as far as application process goes.

BSD beads way better than 3in1. I haven't used either on paint but mainly PPF. Sure, this stuff only takes like 20 minutes to top off. Prior to full wrap PPF, cars were coated so maintenance was fairly minimal aside from a wash. IME, with PPF, once I notice a drop off on water as I rinse the car, I know it's just time to top it off again. But for me, any LSP just doesn't last like it does on paint so I top often.

I think I posted my thoughts, but yes, there are PPF/wrap -branded- coatings out there.
    Haven't tried it . Probably won't. Nothing just sticks and sticks well on PPF, so the wear-off is fast...

I can't recall if I posted this, but PPF is also very -absorbent-. So it is important to keep some sort of LSP/topcoat on it, to minimize how much it absorbs. Especially if it's a daily driver and you drive it through rain, where all sorts of oil water, etc *muck* gets thrown at it. It's a huge upsell and lots of pro detailing shops do PPF versus -paint correction- but ya gotta understand the pros/cons of PPF. Yeah, I know the irony. PPF does minimize maintenance. However, ones does need to keep on the upkeep on keeping PPF sealed imo. However, I can now wash, dry , etc and not even worry about micro marring. Or todays paint, which is just crap, and not worry about rock chips, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    BSD beads way better than 3in1. I haven't used either on paint but mainly PPF. Sure, this stuff only takes like 20 minutes to top off. Prior to full wrap PPF, cars were coated so maintenance was fairly minimal aside from a wash. IME, with PPF, once I notice a drop off on water as I rinse the car, I know it's just time to top it off again. But for me, any LSP just doesn't last like it does on paint so I top often.

I think I posted my thoughts, but yes, there are PPF/wrap -branded- coatings out there.
    Haven't tried it . Probably won't. Nothing just sticks and sticks well on PPF, so the wear-off is fast...

I can't recall if I posted this, but PPF is also very -absorbent-. So it is important to keep some sort of LSP/topcoat on it, to minimize how much it absorbs. Especially if it's a daily driver and you drive it through rain, where all sorts of oil water, etc *muck* gets thrown at it. It's a huge upsell and lots of pro detailing shops do PPF versus -paint correction- but ya gotta understand the pros/cons of PPF. Yeah, I know the irony. PPF does minimize maintenance. However, ones does need to keep on the upkeep on keeping PPF sealed imo. However, I can now wash, dry , etc and not even worry about micro marring. Or todays paint, which is just crap, and not worry about rock chips, etc.
    Suntek Ultra has some kind of topcoat that is supposed to be stain resistant and hydrophobic. I’ve had mine for almost 4 years and it’s still in great condition but I wouldn’t know how the topcoat held up because it’s always had some kind of sealant on it at the least since I use them as drying aids nearly every wash (ie: beadmaker).

Markus Kleis goes over HPC in great detail in his YT videos. He mentioned the can should be enough for “several vehicles”. In the comments he also mentions that it bonds well to ppf and has great durability on wheels (something I’m planning to put to the test). He also mentioned it being discontinued which is a bummer if it actually turns out well. I plan to try it out in the near future with a couple of panels with cancoat to see how it compares in the long term on the same car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rand0m View Post
    Markus Kleis goes over HPC in great detail in his YT videos. He mentioned the can should be enough for “several vehicles”. In the comments he also mentions that it bonds well to ppf and has great durability on wheels (something I’m planning to put to the test). He also mentioned it being discontinued which is a bummer if it actually turns out well. I plan to try it out in the near future with a couple of panels with cancoat to see how it compares in the long term on the same car.
    Had to verify this and sure enough, HPC is no longer found on Meguiar's website and found the post where MK unofficially confirmed its discontinuation.

Quote Originally Posted by MK's Details & Deep Dives

Q:Looks like they are discontinuing it. Lack of sales or something better coming?

A:Lack of sales. As a product marketer myself, I think they made a few mistakes with the size of the can being excessive (added $$), the included (2) 16x24 high quality towels (added $$) and the included M122 (added $$) compared to the other options that are in retail that are A.) Not even real coatings, and B.) Just a single spray bottle. In the end, I think the higher price PLUS the added cost of shipping aerosol small parcel ultimately doomed this item. One could also argue that the average consumer doesn't understand coatings well enough to "get it" without "ceramic" being mentioned.

At any rate, I have high hopes for a solid replacement product in a better form factor in the future to fill the void this amazing product will leave behind. /Fingers crossed!

-MK

8. Thanks MisterSnoop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems Meguiars has some top notch pro line products and can command a premium price for them but when it comes to their consumer line, price seems to have to be comparable to auto parts store brands for consumers to consider it.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems Meguiars has some top notch pro line products and can command a premium price for them but when it comes to their consumer line, price seems to have to be comparable to auto parts store brands for consumers to consider it.
    Seems like they are out of touch with their marketing nowadays.

11. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$60 is definitely Pro Line pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

$60 is definitely Pro Line pricing.
    Yeah, I wonder how much they could've decreased the cost eliminating some of the components in the kit and making it like cancoat. Looks like they tried to package the kit for an average consumer but I think they overshot there. I bet if they just sold the can and a MF towel and marketed it like other spray products but with coating durability it would've done better. At least with enthusiasts.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast