autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots PFM drying towel

I got the same towel from the same store about 4-5 years ago and am just now about to retire it. Starting to get a lot of threads coming loose and catching on things. BUT! That is after hundreds of car washes and dozens of times being cleaning in the washing machine. For the price it held up well, and still works great, just snagging on corners on panels and such. I was sad to see this particular size no longer offered... The larger one is too large(imo but I don't wash SUVs or trucks, ever) and the smaller size is too small, adding time to the process.

I got a couple of the mid-size Gyeon Silk Drying towels, as they are similar is material on one side. Handling them I can tell they probably won't be as good, but they had good reviews and a few people compared them to the PFM towels. I sense I'll be settling for multiple smaller PFM towels at the end of the day. As mentioned above by someone else I find the massive towels too cumbersome and clunky for drying lower panels close to the ground. To each his own.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    I got the same towel from the same store about 4-5 years ago and am just now about to retire it. Starting to get a lot of threads coming loose and catching on things. BUT! That is after hundreds of car washes and dozens of times being cleaning in the washing machine. For the price it held up well, and still works great, just snagging on corners on panels and such. I was sad to see this particular size no longer offered... The larger one is too large(imo but I don't wash SUVs or trucks, ever) and the smaller size is too small, adding time to the process.

I got a couple of the mid-size Gyeon Silk Drying towels, as they are similar is material on one side. Handling them I can tell they probably won't be as good, but they had good reviews and a few people compared them to the PFM towels. I sense I'll be settling for multiple smaller PFM towels at the end of the day. As mentioned above by someone else I find the massive towels too cumbersome and clunky for drying lower panels close to the ground. To each his own.
    You can get these from AG and other places but griots doesn’t sell them. There smaller than the standard ones (28x20 vs 35x25).

They may not be the 1120 gsm like the black border ones but they work great and will dry a whole car or small suv.

Griot's Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel - 28 x 20 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    You can get these from AG and other places but griots doesn’t sell them. There smaller than the standard ones (28x20 vs 35x25).

They may not be the 1120 gsm like the black border ones but they work great and will dry a whole car or small suv.

Griot's Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel - 28 x 20 inches

+1 - The Griot's 55504 at 28x20 I find works perfectly on a small suv - enough to dry completely without the dragging of the big towels. Just ordered a backup -

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots PFM is still a favorite of mine but even one better is their PFM Edgeless drying towel. It picks up every drop of water on the first pass. PouncingPanzer made a good point about the threads coming loose. I have quite a few of those too. The towel keeps getting caught on the K of emblem of my wife's Buick.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    The Griots PFM is still a favorite of mine but even one better is their PFM Edgeless drying towel. It picks up every drop of water on the first pass. PouncingPanzer made a good point about the threads coming loose. I have quite a few of those too. The towel keeps getting caught on the K of emblem of my wife's Buick.
    The edgeless is nice but just too big.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post

I had some threads get caught on emblems and become loose as well. I just grab some scissors and cut off the excess. Works like a charm.

I dry my car with air and that gets the car 98% dry so 1 16x16 PFM is all I need for my little focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Because I'm cheap and not prone to getting caught up in product hype, I'm YEARS late to this party. Until last night.

I got one of the original PFM's as a gift for Christmas this year and a brief blast of warm weather gave me a chance to wash my car and give this towel a try.

My thoughts? It's pure sorcery. Amazing.

After flood rinsing my BRZ I was able to dry the entire thing with really only one side of the towel. It never felt saturated or wet and it didn't leave a single water spot. The water simply disappeared as I lightly pulled the towel over the surface. Granted my car is tiny, but I could have easily done the car twice before needing to wring it out or move to another towel. Call me impressed.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes dgage, Jayfro, PaulMys, VitreousHumor, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Better late than never
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

10. Likes Desertnate, PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Because I'm cheap and not prone to getting caught up in product hype, I'm YEARS late to this party. Until last night.

I got one of the original PFM's as a gift for Christmas this year and a brief blast of warm weather gave me a chance to wash my car and give this towel a try.

After flood rinsing my BRZ I was able to dry the entire thing with really only one side of the towel. It never felt saturated or wet and it didn't leave a single water spot. The water simply disappeared as I lightly pulled the towel over the surface. Granted my car is tiny, but I could have easily done the car twice before needing to wring it out or move to another towel. Call me impressed.
    We TOLD you!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Jim w, Coatingsarecrack, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Switching to blow drying more but the PFM’s make it hard to leave towels behind.

14. Likes Desertnate liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast