autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

Prior to me getting to the actual how to and review of the product I will make this statement.

!!!DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT DURABILITY!!!

I say this because as of this moment I will be going away from tire coatings. They have their pros and cons. The biggest con is the removal.

Product Link:

CarPro BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

Product Description:

CQUARTZ BlackOut utilizes polysiloxane technology merged with a solvent-based acrylic resin to create an incredibly durable and stunning satin-like appearance for tyres, rubber, and unpainted resin materials. The coating is far more durable than traditional tire dressings while its weak solvent base allows it to be very gentle on tyres with no sticky side effects of silicone based products. This unique formula also inhibits the deterioration of rubber and protects from UV rays. BlackOut even restores the depth, and luster of unpainted resin parts that have deteriorated over time.

Features& Benefits:
    • Self-cleaning, hydrophobic, salt & chemical resistance.
    • UV resistance.
    • Preserves black matte/satin appearance.
    • No VOC.
    • CARPRO states an expected durability of 6 months.

Applications:

• Tires.
    • Rubber.
    • Plastic.

How To Use:

1. Wash tires thoroughly with MultiX.
    2. Dry very well!
    3. Pour a line of BlackOut on the tire applicator sponge.
    4. Work in the coat over the tire walls surface. (Add product as needed)
    5. Let the coating dry for a bare minimum of 30 minutes.
    6. To apply a second layer, repeat the steps above.

Precautions:

• Allow to dry 12 hours minimally before exposure to nasty weather.
    • Avoid soaps and chemicals during first 3 days.
    • Recommended application temperature: 58°F ~ 90°F.
    • Avoid use on motorcycle tires

I was sent this product for review and testing by CarPro. Since I am moving away from tire coatings, I had to find a set of tires to use it on. A friend of mine left his car with me for a paint enhancement and ceramic coating. So this was a perfect opportunity to try it out and he can test it out in the real world.

The most important step prior to using a tire coating is the prep. This will allow the coating to bond to the rubber surface and have the maximum performance.

Ideally it would be recommended to clean the tires weekly for a few weeks if one is coming from a tire dressing to a tire coating. Tire dressings are absorbed into the tire and cleaning weekly without adding any additional dressing will allow the absorbed product to leach out from driving.

This will give a fresh canvas to start with and allow the coating to not be impacted by any dressing that is leaching out.

Unfortunately I did not have that luxury as this car came in with some solvent or silicone tire goop that had to be removed. I achieved this by using the Americana Global Breakdown Wheel & Tire Cleaner which had a big impact on whatever was on the tire. This removed a majority of it. I followed it with a couple rounds of Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner just to ensure the tire was super clean which was indicated by the white suds.

The BlackOut kit includes a 50ml bottle of coating, instruction manual and a foam tire applicator. My advice would be to not bother using the included tire applicator and use a microfiber applicator or the CarPro microfiber mitt applicator.

I ended up using an Autofiber coating saver applicator which applies a more even layer and spreads the product out better.

Two layers are recommend. It is also recommend to not touch or wipe the coating once it is applied to the tire as it will affect the appearance and performance of the coating once it dries.

Here are the results after two layers on the tires.

Final Thoughts:

Overall the application is straight forward. The prep is what will take a majority of time. More work up front for less work in the long term in regards of having the product last months rather than weeks.

I used about 20-25ml’s of product from the 50ml bottle. That is applying two layers on these 20 inch tires.

I can not comment on longevity or durability but this is not the cheapest product in terms of cost.

Full application video.

2. Thanks bob m, fly07sti, Paul A. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

As I said on the other site, it does leave the tires gorgeously dressed. I’m also mulling over whether to continue using a tire coating or going back to dressings. Thanks The Guz!

4. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    As I said on the other site, it does leave the tires gorgeously dressed. I’m also mulling over whether to continue using a tire coating or going back to dressings. Thanks The Guz!
    Agree, nice level of sheen. But like (most everything) so much is in the prep. I learned that lesson when I applied a tire coating a few months ago. The tires were scrubbed and wiped with a rubber cleaner. I still had a feeling it might not have been enough, so I took a chance anyhow, applied the coating and of course after a few days, that brown color emerged under the coating. So I will wait a while and use a stronger tire cleaner - probably Tuff Shine and recoat. I haven't found a regular tire dressing that holds up for more than a month, less if there is considerable rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. On aggressive off road tires, that would be a nightmare to apply. But product look`s like it will stand up to abuse. Due to the price point, i would only use this on new, like new tires. Interesting product.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

7. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your buddy owns a widebody hellcat or scatpack don't they? lol.

I am intrigued by this. I am using Gtechniq T1 and T2 currently. I am curious if this would solve an issue I am having with my new Michelin PS4S tires (T2 is applied a-okay, but T1 doesn't not get absorbed fully) and if any that gets on the tread will impact traction.

Looking at your install vs directions, was multi-x subbed with Tuff and Shine tire cleaner?

9. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow89 View Post

I am intrigued by this. I am using Gtechniq T1 and T2 currently. I am curious if this would solve an issue I am having with my new Michelin PS4S tires (T2 is applied a-okay, but T1 doesn't not get absorbed fully) and if any that gets on the tread will impact traction.

Looking at your install vs directions, was multi-x subbed with Tuff and Shine tire cleaner?
    I'm also having problems with my new Michelin PS4S. Can't seem to get the browning out. Scrubbed with a drill brush and Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner 4 times (different times) and still browning.

The Tuf Shine coating is not even looking, some splotchy areas.

My last set of Michelin PS4S had no problems with Tuf Shine. I also did a set of Bridgestones with no problems.

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I like your tire stand..put a motor on it and you can spin dry the tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, how is the durability of this?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow89 View Post

He has a 2017 Charger Daytona 392. Pre-widebody.

I used the Americana Global and Tuf Shine to clean the tires. Multix at 1:1 did not do anything to the the tire goop that was on the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

14. Likes PaulMys, dgage, SNP209, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yeah...I was wondering the same thingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

...on serious note Mike, one of the cons you mentioned was removal of the tire coating and my question is "why would you worry about removal?" I mean wouldn't you just "wait it out" if you didn't like it or just top it with your other favorite(s)Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Yeah...I was wondering the same thingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

...on serious note Mike, one of the cons you mentioned was removal of the tire coating and my question is "why would you worry about removal?" I mean wouldn't you just "wait it out" if you didn't like it or just top it with your other favorite(s)Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Sometimes it can wear too quickly in parts of the tire or let’s say the drive kisses the curb with one part of a tire and you want to do it again. Removing the remaining coating of that tire to start over is a PITA.

I’ve done 3 sets of tires with a coating, thankfully not my own car. Hated how it takes so much prep and it didn’t last that long at all. I’ll stick with Perl every wash.
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast