autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Sometimes it can wear too quickly in parts of the tire or let’s say the drive kisses the curb with one part of a tire and you want to do it again. Removing the remaining coating of that tire to start over is a PITA.

I’ve done 3 sets of tires with a coating, thankfully not my own car. Hated how it takes so much prep and it didn’t last that long at all. I’ll stick with Perl every wash.
    Have you tried a good tire cleaner to knock it down a bit and redo the area? Or even a good tire cleaner to wioedown all 4 and "top" with somethingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this will be going on my summer tires over the next winter! Be a nice little project for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I think this will be going on my summer tires over the next winter! Be a nice little project for sure.
    I know I'll be getting new tires sooner than later but when they get stored this winter they'll be coated several times before going down into the basementReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

4. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Have you tried a good tire cleaner to knock it down a bit and redo the area? Or even a good tire cleaner to wioedown all 4 and "top" with somethingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

I have not as I just gave up on coatings, they don’t last near as long to be worth the effort preparing the tires. Plus some tires take them better than others and I heard Michelin aren’t the easiest to accept them. One of the sets I did was Michelin, the others Continental and Pirelli. I feel like Pirelli lasted the longest but maybe because that car was driven less.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I have not as I just gave up on coatings, they don’t last near as long to be worth the effort preparing the tires. Plus some tires take them better than others and I heard Michelin aren’t the easiest to accept them. One of the sets I did was Michelin, the others Continental and Pirelli. I feel like Pirelli lasted the longest but maybe because that car was driven less.
    Your spot on about MichelinsReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

I have 2 buddy's with Conti something or another's and one had GREAT luck with Optimum tire coating and the other HORRIBLE luck with them. Sadly the horrible luck came with ME applying it. The tires were new and had enough miles on them and it applied nicely enough but soon enough they turned this tan/goldish/brown color....horrible Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

The sad thing is I bought the big bottle because I didn't see the other size bottle. I guess I'll find out when I get my new tires but atleast I've got options:

-Optimum tire coating
    -TW Endura tire coating
    -Feynlab Black Velvet
    -CarPro BlackoutReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

7. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I'll be getting new tires sooner than later but when they get stored this winter they'll be coated several times before going down into the basementReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

I deep cleaned my summer tires last winter - 10+ hours probably and a lot of dirty rags - and applied maybe 20-30 coats of cg VRP over a few weeks lol And after about 2k miles there still not brown in appearance, the dressing is long gone. I have only pressure rinsed the tires this year.

I repeatedly used degreaser - purple power at 1:3 usually and even stronger - and drill brushes to clean the tires when i got bored. It took a lot of work to stop the browning.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...I was wondering the same thingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

...on serious note Mike, one of the cons you mentioned was removal of the tire coating and my question is "why would you worry about removal?" I mean wouldn't you just "wait it out" if you didn't like it or just top it with your other favorite(s)Review - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

I'll let Pan follow up and provide you his testing results lol. I didn't watch his video but someone on Autopia posted the link to it.

Just as Bruno mentioned it is a pain as some areas wear out differently. Also the rubber make up of the tire if the coating does not take well. And if you want to switch to a different tire coating then good luck.

Blackout hardened up on the applicator a bit. Good luck trying to remove that. I linked CarPro's video to show that it is pretty resilient to abrasion and chemical.

Whatever Nick did with the latest version of the McKee's tire coating makes it harder to remove. Probably the SiO2 added into the acrylic formula when it became part of the ceramic series. This stuff is a nightmare to remove.

Sometimes it can wear too quickly in parts of the tire or let’s say the drive kisses the curb with one part of a tire and you want to do it again. Removing the remaining coating of that tire to start over is a PITA.

I’ve done 3 sets of tires with a coating, thankfully not my own car. Hated how it takes so much prep and it didn’t last that long at all. I’ll stick with Perl every wash.
    Exactly this.

No tire cleaner is removing BlackOut and no luck when using it on the McKee's tire coating. Nothing will stick to the coating for that long. You will be "topping" every wash.

Post Thanks / Like

My initial 2 coats of Feynlab Black Velvet were applied with a microfiber applicator which I tossed away after using. My most recent application I used a foam applicator for low profile tires and it didn't harden the applicator like Optimum didReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber CoatingReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

I know you don't like Pan Mike but I'll be paying close attention to his results with BlackoutReview - CarPro CQuartz BlackOut Tire & Rubber Coating

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I'll let Pan follow up and provide you his testing results lol. I didn't watch his video but someone on Autopia posted the link to it.

Just as Bruno mentioned it is a pain as some areas wear out differently. Also the rubber make up of the tire if the coating does not take well. And if you want to switch to a different tire coating then good luck.

Blackout hardened up on the applicator a bit. Good luck trying to remove that. I linked CarPro's video to show that it is pretty resilient to abrasion and chemical.

Whatever Nick did with the latest version of the McKee's tire coating makes it harder to remove. Probably the SiO2 added into the acrylic formula when it became part of the ceramic series. This stuff is a nightmare to remove.

Exactly this.

No tire cleaner is removing BlackOut and no luck when using it on the McKee's tire coating. Nothing will stick to the coating for that long. You will be "topping" every wash.
    Mike uneven wear aside, do you think these coatings have the potential to last about 6 or 7k miles of driving during the spring/summer seasons? I really know nothing about tire coatings. But deep cleaning tires is very painstaking. Tuf shine's cleaner will be in my cart sometime this year..

Post Thanks / Like

I kissed the curb in a parking lot and have a nice swatch of coating missing. So I guess that’s the easy way to remove. Anyway, assuming work allows it, I’ll see how well it works just giving it a good cleaning and adding more coating. I hope it feathers in well and looks good but I’ll share pictures of the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast