autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's G8 Polisher

I am new hobbyist and purchased a Griot's G9 and a G8. I use the G9 with mostly 5" pads from LC and Boss with minimum stalling and great results. However, the G8 using same type of pads 3" seems to stall all the time. Whenever I use it on concave, non flat surfaces or angled with very light pressure it just does not oscillate. Even on some smaller regular surfaces if it is not held exactly at the right angle it won't rotate. Frustrating because I have nothing to compare it to but the G9 and not sure if I'm expecting too much. How sensitive is this polisher? I am finding the same issues from using Fast correcting at speed 5.5 to polishing at 3.5. Anyone with experience on this? Or any tips? I have an email into Griot's but they haven't responded yet.
    Thanks.
    2011 Black F350

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's G8 Polisher

Crank it up and see if that helps. Sometimes the number doesn't correspond with the actual speed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks just tried that last night using boss MF fast cutting pads on a white Audi. Kept it on 6 (full speed) the entire time and it didn't help. Seems like it is very sensitive to being perfectly perpendicular to even the flat panels. I think I'll talk to Griot's on this one. Thanks for your help.
    2011 Black F350

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me a number of hours to get use to the G8. Concentrate on your back hand to make sure the pad is flat and i use less downward pressure on the top of the G8 compared to my first gen. G15 - I also run my G8 on speed 5 most of the time.

It does stall easier then the G15. Maybe its because the slightest outset of pressure effects a small pad/machine more then a larger one. I have to use more finesse with the G8 then the G15 but its a capable little machine IME. Body positioning also makes a big difference, get comfortable and close to the machine with your eyes so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

MF pads are more grabby and will help the tool stall more often if not flat on the surface. Increase tool speed and lighten up the pressure but other than that, just can’t do much other than using forced rotation or a smaller tool/pad to not be inside the concave area so much.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Questions to OP...

Are you finding the stalling happened more on the vertical passes or the horizontal passes ?

How big was your working area when using the G8?