autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed Master “The Notorious Dry” towel 1st impression…

I’ll get straight to the point, because for me alot of lingering questions have just been answered. These were some of the questions I’ve had for the past few months…

1. Have my drying towels always sucked like this?

2. When did they begin to suck?

3. Did the new soap actually make a noticeable difference?

4. If the soap has actually done it’s job, does that mean that these towels weren’t as good as I once thought they were?

5. Am I living in denial?

-Enter this new towel. Speed Master The Notorious Dry Towel.

Speed Master The Notorious D.R.Y. Towel - 26" x 36"

I was at my wits end. I didn’t really care what drying towel I was going to buy, all I knew was that I was going to order 1 or some that day. This just happened to be the newest 1 and it was on super sale + the description was certainly impressive. 1400 GSM. That’s 200 more than the Big Blue Towel and that’s a beefy towel… 280 more than the edgeless PFM. Those stats weren’t the reason I bought it though, more like icing on the cake.

I just finished doing a bucket wash on my car and pulled this towel straight out of the bag, gave it a quick inspection and decided it was ready to use. Sheeting rinse post wash, no drying aids.

I began the way I usually do, starting at the front fender and begin walking the towel along the side of the car, but as I got to the end of the drivers door I stopped and witnessed something I hadn’t seen in a very long time, something I had almost forgot was even possible… Bone dry.

My normL OCD went straight out the door because I had to see if it could do what it just did on the hood, so I put the rest of the vertical panels on hold and layed the towel on my hood and dragged it across the paint which took 3 times to cover the hood and all 3 times, Bone Dry.

I went to the trunklid, same amazing results. Roof? 1 drag, Bone Dry once again. I had the 26x36” towel folded in half and the same side dried the entire car Bone Dry in a single pass from beginning to end.

My questions have finally been answered.

1. My other drying towels have diminished to the point where they’re bearly comparable to what they once were.

2. That soap didn’t completely work. At best it worked maybe 50-60% tops. I’ve used enough of the gallon and I still hadn’t been convinced it had worked… But after today I’m certain it hasn’t worked. Even after pre soaking for days. Washing in hot water.

This is how my PFM performs these days when bone dry. Leading to my next point.

3. I’ve been in denial.

… Either that or this Speed Master towel is the best towel man has ever seen? I dunno, but compared to my PFM that I’ve been trying to revive for the past 3-4 months? It just walked all over it. And that should never happen, right?

So in conclusion: Yes, this towel is great. But so is the PFM, a Brand New PFM…

Are any of you living in this same denial?

2. Thanks Desertnate, fly07sti thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed Master “The Notorious Dry” towel 1st impression…

Great perspective!

Drying towels can be a PITA. They rarely work to my satisfaction so my standard process is my dedicated leaf blower followed by a quik detailer.

And going a step further, I rarely take a hose to my truck or bikes. It's most often a waterless wash. The hose is reserved for those times I want to blast out the wheel wells and undercarriage.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. My PFM is about 2 years old and still performs very well. Must be a case of YMMV
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

5. Likes John U, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My PFM's work too and they're a couple years old, as do my Sucker towels. My big question is this though about the towels, cold or hot water. Griots says to use hot water and the Sucker towels say cold. maybe I should split the difference, LOL. I get how heat can damage the fibers but wouldn't that be more towards the drying part?
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I take it you were able to dry the entire vehicle without the towel becoming saturated or having to be wrung out?

I'm using some dying waffle weave towels I've had for years, which just don't cut it any more. For those, even when saturated you could wring them out and still get pretty good drying for the rest of the vehicle.

I'm ready to move on to better things if they will actually save me some time and effort.

Thanks for the review!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    My PFM's work too and they're a couple years old, as do my Sucker towels. My big question is this though about the towels, cold or hot water. Griots says to use hot water and the Sucker towels say cold. maybe I should split the difference, LOL. I get how heat can damage the fibers but wouldn't that be more towards the drying part?

If your hot water is hot enough to damage microfiber, it's also going to "damage" you ...

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

And ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    3. I’ve been in denial.

… Either that or this Speed Master towel is the best towel man has ever seen? I dunno, but compared to my PFM that I’ve been trying to revive for the past 3-4 months? It just walked all over it. And that should never happen, right?

So in conclusion: Yes, this towel is great. But so is the PFM, a Brand New PFM…

Are any of you living in this same denial?

My personal experience has been that my PFM's have lost a bit of their "thirstiness", but then I have always used (1) 20x28 + (1) 16x16 when drying either vehicle (CR-V or Impala). I get the bulk of drying done with the large towel and follow up with the small. And normally I have to wring the large towel a couple times over the course of drying a vehicle. As for detergents, I have not noticed any major benefits from "microfiber" soaps and have gone back to just using All Free & Clear. I do use hot water per Griots directions. And the one thing that I have noticed that does make a slight difference is the vinegar in the rinse trick.

I think this is another one of those cases of having to manage expectations.

And I don't think this is something unique to PFMs. I made the mistake of buying one of the Gyeon Silk Driers. That thing has been a POS since Day 1 and was thus relegated to drying windows. 2 yrs. on and it doesn't even do that job well anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I’ve noticed MF drying towels tend to lose their effectiveness as time goes on. I’m going to guess it’s from waxes & sealants from products we use contaminating them over time & it not being completely removed by washing. If you’ve ever tried to get a wax or sealant 100% out of an applicator it’s extremely difficult.

I now presoak mine in a small bucket with about 1/3 white vinegar before washing w/ microfiber detergent. A few ounces of any soap or detergent in many gallons of water will not remove waxes or sealants from towels effectively. Seems to make a huge difference.

12. Likes John U, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. My PFM towels as well as the my other twisted loop drying towels all work as they did on day one. I never use any type of drying aid either. And as far as the R2R wash, it hasn’t really surprised or impressed me any more than my usual a Towel Kleen.
    I will say though, while the PFM’s are great, I have some drying towels which are marginally better. Roger may know what towels I’m speaking of.

14. Likes PaulMys, Rmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Hmm. My PFM is about 2 years old and still performs very well. Must be a case of YMMV
    I'm with Bill on this one, Ric.

My original "Large PFM" is on season 4 this year, and it still works like new. Ditto for the "XL size" which is on season 2.

Could there be something to the hot water theory? I always just use warm/cold rinse for my MF's.....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast