autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

First impressions of coating (CQuartz light)

So as my very first coating, and after much thought carried out on the forum, I chose CQuartz lite. Thought it would be a good balance of ease of use and being close to a ‘full’ coating in application. I also chose it because if I had gone the full blown coating route I was heavily leaning toward CQUK3 and Gliss v2.

It arrived yesterday and I broke it out just now. The packaging was nice and the instructions pretty good. It was fairly easy to apply. However, their was one problem. I couldn’t get it to come out of the stopper top. Took it off, had to remove the glove and got it all over my hand. Seemed clear so I put it back on. Still no joy. So again, top off, covered in solvent. Now I had to approximate ‘drops’ on the applicator. Think I managed ok but it was a pain for a first time user. Don’t know if that had anything to do with it being a batch from last year.

Problem #2... as I was going back for my second ‘leveling pass’ with the included mf towel*, I noticed a drip that was hard as a rock. Probably a combination of user error and problem #1. Best solution to fix?

* After application to a small area, I leveled with an old but paint safe short nap mf towel. When I did 2 or 3 sections that way, depending on size, I’d go back over with the included towel to hope to get any spots I missed.

put the applicator and the towels I used in a bucket with warm water and 1.5 oz of MicroRestore to try and save the towels me applicator. We’ll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First impressions of coating (CQuartz light)

Second application put on a bit over an hour later. In between I had washed all the towels and the applicator. Didn’t notice a single hard crystal so I used them again. No problem with scratches on the second coat. Also found a little paint brush with a pointy end and cleared out the hole on the plastic dripper top and it worked this time around. Maybe it had gotten turned upside down in the mail and dried over?

Didn’t bother with the two towel buffing method this time through, just used the included towel. No problems.

I had gone over the drip with more product as soon as I noticed it. It was still noticeable. However, when I went back and applied the second coat I couldn’t find it.

My wife has an errand to run tomorrow and we have a pretty good chance of rain. I don’t have ReLoad but think I should go over it something in about an hour, or at least before bed. First Choice, some prima Hyrdo, the original stuff. It’s easy to apply and will last just long enough. Second choice would be optiseal. Thoughts?

Final result...
    First impressions of coating (CQuartz light)-74b8bdcb-260c-43b0-be7c-5aecb7ef8c44-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldn’t add anything to the CQ while it’s curing

4. Likes Texchappy, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Personally I wouldn’t add anything to the CQ while it’s curing
    That’s my Preference. What will happen if it rains on it while she is out driving tomorrow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    That’s my Preference. What will happen if it rains on it while she is out driving tomorrow?

Unless you have acid rain or park under a sprinkler, you should be fine.

7. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

‘Self Cleaning’ evokes images of little molecules with microscopic spray bottles and microfiber in my addled mind. I know this isn’t the case. Today was the first time it’s rained while we were out driving in my wife’s car - a good soaking rain. The hood was clear shortly after the rain stopped. The car is remarkably clean, just a little dirt on the bottom of the panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    ‘Self Cleaning’ evokes images of little molecules with microscopic spray bottles and microfiber in my addled mind. I know this isn’t the case. Today was the first time it’s rained while we were out driving in my wife’s car - a good soaking rain. The hood was clear shortly after the rain stopped. The car is remarkably clean, just a little dirt on the bottom of the panels.
    That's what a good coating will do for your ride. Even the side panels will clean like a breeze.

10. Likes PaulMys, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    That's what a good coating will do for your ride. Even the side panels will clean like a breeze.
    How, exactly does a breeze clean?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    How, exactly does a breeze clean?
    If you blow hard the dirt will be on the ground.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post