autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE One Step - I'm a Believer!

Hi everyone!

So I've had this quart of Blackfire One Step for a while now and have put it through its paces on several different cars and motorcycles, and it really continues to impress me with its performance. As a part-time detailer this stuff has really enabled me to work quickly, effectively, and really deliver the quality of finish that I want to finish with on most paint systems I've tried. I've polished three black Harley-Davidsons with it so far using 3" Griot's orange pads on my old cheapo DA, and on the soft black HD paint it really finishes to an incredible gloss. This is one I did a couple days ago.

Yesterday, I had a chance to really, REALLY put this product to the test. I had a one-step polishing detail to do on a 2013 Charger in metallic black that was just... hammered. The paint looked like the clear was getting close to failure. Before beginning on the vehicle I had discussed with the owner the possibility of me not being able to correct the damage that was present on the paint. There was what looked like acid etching, staining, and heavy oxidation on parts of it that I was afraid I would not be able to bring back with just a one-step AIO job.

Here's what the roof looked like (and notice the difference between the roof and the upper door edges that looked the same but are already polished):

I was working under the sun in an arid SoCal desert valley location on a 85-90 degree day, and worked the One Step with 5" Buff and Shine green flat pads (which btw are EXCELLENT AIO pads) on my G9. Since I was working in the sun, I applied the product particularly heavy onto my pads, working in smaller sections with a lot of product to keep it from drying out. The panels were very hot to the touch but One Step never dried out or became sticky. I would polish half the car, let it sit in the sun, and when I went to wipe it off it was SO EASY, even baked on to the paint. That alone blew me away.

But the results, and the ability of this product to cut through some seriously messed up paint, was absolutely mind-blowing. I was able to achieve almost a flawless finish on portions where there was no deep scratching. Admittedly, I'm an awful photographer and forgot to take a lot of after pictures, but take a look what it did to the trunk of this car:

The owner of the vehicle was absolutely thrilled and astonished at the difference the results made. Got a great tip, which made me happy too!

Now, I typically like to top Blackfire One Step with their Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant for a little extra shine and longevity, and I attempted to with this car as well. But that was an absolute NO GO in the sun. The product simply flashed too quickly in the heat for me to be able to buff it off cleanly. So I'm looking at Blackfire's line up of sealants and trying to figure out which would be best to follow it up with that would be quick and easy to use in the sun.

Does anyone have any input on the Synthetic Spray Sealant, and its performance? Or perhaps the Blackfire Instant Detailer with wet diamond polymers? My priority in this area is a quick sealant that goes on easily in hot sunny weather, and works well to repel dust. I've used spray carnaubas and sealants like Beadmaker and the like but they attract dust like no other in this dry climate, which is why I like the SiO2 sealant but it just won't work for me when detailing in the sun.

I would appreciate some input, and thanks for reading!

2. Likes fly07sti, PaulMys, JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: BLACKFIRE One Step - I'm a Believer!

Nice before and after pictures.

Besides working great - how about that wipe-off?

4. Thanks crg001, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the blackfire SIO2 spray sealant, it goes on silky smooth, you can see where you’ve been, it dries to a very faint haze and wipes off very easily, great gloss. A bit expensive, but very effective
    Glen -

6. Likes crg001 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nice before and after pictures.

Besides working great - how about that wipe-off?

Man, that wipe off is a cinch. SO easy. I feel like I could have easily done the whole car before wiping off, even after baking in the sun. I'll pick this for my one step any time just because it makes it that much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I like the blackfire SIO2 spray sealant, it goes on silky smooth, you can see where you’ve been, it dries to a very faint haze and wipes off very easily, great gloss. A bit expensive, but very effective
    This is what I currently and normally use, and I agree it gives great gloss and is very easy to use, UNLESS it's in the direct sun. Then, it has basically zero working time and flashes to a hard finish before I can even wipe it off. I use Mike's "two towel" method and never spray directly on to the panel, but it just is too finicky to use in the sun. Not the fault of the sealant, almost every SiO2 product I've used behaves the same way. I'm looking for an alternative topper for it to amp up the gloss and protection a bit more that is sun-friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    This is what I currently and normally use, and I agree it gives great gloss and is very easy to use, UNLESS it's in the direct sun. Then, it has basically zero working time and flashes to a hard finish before I can even wipe it off. I use Mike's "two towel" method and never spray directly on to the panel, but it just is too finicky to use in the sun. Not the fault of the sealant, almost every SiO2 product I've used behaves the same way. I'm looking for an alternative topper for it to amp up the gloss and protection a bit more that is sun-friendly.
    Would you ever consider a product like Blackfire Hydro seal or CarPro Hydro2? You would apply this while the car is wet after a wash. Do one panel at a time going from top to bottom.

303 graphene spray is also sun friendly..

Post Thanks / Like

Great save and I agree how good BF is. I’ve recently started using Meg’s M799 (Bead Booster) as a quick topper and it’s just as easy to use as D156 but with better performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    Would you ever consider a product like Blackfire Hydro seal or CarPro Hydro2? You would apply this while the car is wet after a wash. Do one panel at a time going from top to bottom.

303 graphene spray is also sun friendly..
    Most of the time I use the SiO2 sealant, it's going on a car freshly polished with One Step. I use it to maintain my coated daily every now and then but that's easy in the garage. So not much need for a spray and rinse type. I will look into 303G though, I know Mike has mentioned topping One Step with it before as well. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Great save and I agree how good BF is. I’ve recently started using Meg’s M799 (Bead Booster) as a quick topper and it’s just as easy to use as D156 but with better performance.
    Thank you! Have you used M799 in direct sun? I do really like the OTC Megs Ceramic Detailer, I'm assuming this is a more concentrated version of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    Most of the time I use the SiO2 sealant, it's going on a car freshly polished with One Step. I use it to maintain my coated daily every now and then but that's easy in the garage. So not much need for a spray and rinse type. I will look into 303G though, I know Mike has mentioned topping One Step with it before as well. Thanks!
    303 is part of my package now after a one step. I have it on my DD as well and it been almost 4 months since I had it on. Still going strong and my DD sits outside 24/7.

14. Thanks crg001 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast