autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

MOTHERS Fender well brush.

Mothers Fender Well Brush cleans wheel wells beneath the car's fenders. Fender Well Brush has a long handle to scrub behind wheels and tires. (autogeek.net)

I have the fabric well liners. Usually i spray them down with APC and give them a strong rinse. Figure i would add this brush to my ever growing collection. Did the usual with the APC then agitated with the Mothers brush, then rinsed. Yes, it did make a difference. Brush is easy to use and gets into area's that are difficult. For $8 you can't go wrong.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MOTHERS Fender well brush.

It's a lot of brush for the money. I picked one up when AG was doing 25% off which knocked it down to $6. Looking forward to using it soon on the first real wash of the year.

Mike Phillips

I use it to reach the back of the hood, (on the inside), when doing an engine detail.

From this how-to article,

Review: Pinnacle Engine Cleaner & Degreaser and SONAX Plastic Care

Step 3 - Wash the underside of the hood FIRST

Yep... most people don't think about this part and I rarely see this shown in an article or video. The reason you START up high and then go low is because by starting up high after you rinse the underneath all you'll have dripping on the engine will be CLEAN WATER. If you start with the engine first, you know, scrub it, get it clean and then rinse it off and then wash the underneath of the hood... you'll have dirty, oily water now dripping on your just washed and rinsed engine.

Now you have to re-rinse the engine and this is called repeating steps, or wasting time. Not a huge deal but I always hear people repeating the old phrase,

Work smarter not harder

But I rarely see them show you how or what they mean. So start at the top and the go to the engine. This also wets the engine down and depending upon the product you're using could help to avoid any staining to deleicate surfaces as the water on the engine will dilute to some degree the engine degreaser you're going to spray on it.

Safety Tip
    Wear protective eye glasses, goggles or a face shield. It's also a good idea to were gloves. The Pinnacle Engine Cleaner and Degreaser doesn't contain any solvents or harsh chemicals so skipped the gloves. Also, be aware of anyone around you, make sure they know you're cleaning an engine and stay up-wind if it's windy outside.

Here's some examples of one-handed photography work where you time pressing the shutter button when you're squeezing the spray trigger to capture the spray coming out of the nozzle.

After spraying the underneath of the hood and allowing the product to dwell for a few minutes this is where you need an assortment of different types of brushes and different sizes of brushes. I find the Mothers Fenderwell Brush works GREAT for engine detailing, see the pictures below.

HERE - This is me scrubbing the far back portion of the hood on the inside of the hood

Wouldn't be without it.

4. Likes PA DETAILER, dgage, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is going on 8-years now... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know why, but after today's wash, the felt fender wells never looked better! This brush & APC.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out to be a tight fit for my wheel wells so it would either need the bristles cut down or it'll get repurposed.

Post Thanks / Like

One option if you have a car jack is to lift the car and it will open up your wheel wells. I do that periodically to get a better cleaning of the wheel wells.

9. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post