autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When Mike said PNS darkens paint...

Had a bit of an impromptu opportunity to compare my vehicle to the exact same vehicle in a parking lot.

Mine on the right was corrected with Blackfire AIO topped with PNS, applied over the summer. I’ll assume the other vehicle is a swirl-o-matic member instead of AGO ��

Was a cool thing to see how much darker my vehicle looked and comes a day after a buddy I hadn’t seen in a while asked if I got a new vehicle because it looked ‘brand new’ to him. Forget it has been washed in a month ��

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When Mike said PNS darkens paint...-3f207f46-ed03-4c8f-84e9-b457f3d70989-jpg  

2. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When Mike said PNS darkens paint...

PNS may darken the paint, but your polishing does much more to create the difference you see. Heavy swirling will make the paint look lighter, hazy, and cloudy. When you refined the surface with the Blackfire AIO, you probably did more to bring out the nice blue color than the PNS. PNS is really just the "icing" on the cake.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes PaulMys, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    PNS may darken the paint, but your polishing does much more to create the difference you see. Heavy swirling will make the paint look lighter, hazy, and cloudy. When you refined the surface with the Blackfire AIO, you probably did more to bring out the nice blue color than the PNS. PNS is really just the "icing" on the cake.
    Just giving a example of this....

Example below is "gray" black, hazy & damaged.

After is 100% bare with no wax, sealant, coating.

95% of the look you get is done prior to protection.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

6. Likes PaulMys, Rsurfer, luckydawg liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post

Had a bit of an impromptu opportunity to compare my vehicle to the exact same vehicle in a parking lot.

Mine on the right was corrected with Blackfire AIO topped with PNS, applied over the summer. I’ll assume the other vehicle is a swirl-o-matic member instead of AGO ��

Was a cool thing to see how much darker my vehicle looked and comes a day after a buddy I hadn’t seen in a while asked if I got a new vehicle because it looked ‘brand new’ to him. Forget it has been washed in a month ��

Here's a quote from Barry Meguiar

A surface won't go clear until it comes clean

By this he meant, car paint won't look it's best, show the truest richness of color until the surface is free from all defects, including above surface and below surfaces.

So the darkening effect I talk about has to do with removing anything that will cloud or block your eyes from seeing the true color of the paint.

Clearcoats
    This means removing any swirls and scratches because when you scratch something clear the scratch (or swirls), make the clear layer OPAQUE and this has the effect of dulling or greying the true color of paint. By removing the swirls and scratches, (also water spots and oxidation), you darken the paint by making the surface clear.

Single stage paints
    When you polish or correct single stage paint you simply expose a pure, clean base of pigmented base and this tends to appear darker than when you started however, you don't change the paint you simply restore it to the original richness of color.

After paint correct - it is true that some products can have a darkening effect or a enriching effect.

But the majority of the magic happens, like stated above by Desertnate and 98CayenneTA, when you first remove any and all defects on the surface and in the surface.

A surface won't go clear until it comes clean - Barry Meguiar.

8. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Still new at this and love learning the WHY behind WHAT I am doing and the results I am seeing.

You guys rock!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Still new at this and love learning the WHY behind WHAT I am doing and the results I am seeing.

You guys rock!
    What time of summer was PNS applied? I assume it’s holding up well in mid-November based on your pic. The trees look like you are in the northern part of the country?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Eastern PA and it was applied in July. Vehicle is usually garage kept but set outside for 3 months out of state. It is still holding up well when it rains - only noticeable dirt on the lower horizontal surfaces.

I prob won't use it again just due to how grabby it was to remove. I was inspired by your 303 Graphene review so will doing a Dr Beasley Z1 / 303 Graphene combo on my other vehicle, which is metallic black.

Post Thanks / Like

way to may acronyms for me to get them all
    So what is pns?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    way to may acronyms for me to get them all
    So what is pns?
    Sonax Polymer Net Shield 75 ml.
    Bruno Soares

14. Likes luckydawg liked this post