autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

IGL Premier mini-review / thoughts

I pulled out the bottle of IGL Ecocoat Premier last weekend (11/7/2020). It would serve as my winter protection on the X5 M, but no doubt I’ll be topping throughout the next few months as an obsse... I mean a precaution.

Preparation:
    I did not fully decontaminate or polish the paint. It previously had 3 month old KK Infinity Wax, and Cancoat under that on the bottom panels (knee level and below). Some light QD drying aids have been used as well in the last month or two.

So the only prep I did was a M37 Coating Prep Wash, and then a hearty wipe down with Feynlab Pure Rinseless and then Prep-All. I don’t believe all protection was gone on the lower panels, but I did not do any special checks to ensure surfaces were bare, nor did I care.

IGL Ecocoat Premier

Application:
    I applied in my garage on 11/6 at night time. Lighting is poor except on the roof. Temperature was mid-60s.

The product has no odor worth mentioning. It’s pretty neutral and negligible which shouldn’t bother anyone and certainly beats a strong solvent smell.

The liquid is the look and consistency of coconut milk. It sprays on very liberally with a full pull of the spray handle. For the first coat I applied very heavy. This was on purpose since lighting is poor and I’d rather cover too much than miss spots being stingy on the first coat. I regularly sprayed once or twice on my low nap application MF towel, and also sprayed the panel.

It spreads effortlessly. It can drip when applied heavy but since it’s spray and wipe, it’s not really an issue. Plus I’m over-applying.

Despite heavy application, a few light wipes back and forth with a medium nap MF seemingly wiped all liquid and residue away. I came back once at the end for a final buff but not sure how necessary it was. As far as I could tell in my garage, there was no streaking. I probably used 1.5oz in this heavy application.

Application #2 on 11/7 after 24 hours, I used a medium nap MF, a few sprays into the towel and then about a half spray per panel. It seemed to spread well. As I wiped it in, it appeared to melt I to the paint. I turned the towel over and did a final buff. I probably used 0.5oz on the second application. I was impressed that simply spreading it in left very little, if any, streaking from what I could see.

I pulled the car out the next morning (7-8 hours after application). I saw a few faint streaks in some spots. That had me worried, but the streaks wiped away with light to medium effort.

Summary:
    The car looks great, a nice glassy shine with a bit of candy coat look. From far away, there is some legitimate wet look.

I don’t generally write about random LSP applications but the ease of spreading / wiping away is as good or better than any other SiO2 spray I’ve used, especially considering how my heavy application buffed off so easily. Given what I know the performance will be like, it’s almost too easy and not fair. But that’s ok with me.

NOTE: Forgot to snap a final pic, will do so and add soon!

2. Thanks BudgetPlan1, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, PaulMys, Mgavin1985 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IGL Premier mini-review / thoughts

I’ve looked at this many times. You may have me sold with explaining the ease and cleanliness of wipe off. Last thing I want to do after applying something to nice paint is constant wiping of residue.

4. Likes acuRAS82, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I’ve looked at this many times. You may have me sold with explaining the ease and cleanliness of wipe off. Last thing I want to do after applying something to nice paint is constant wiping of residue.
    Most spray sealants are a little tougher to wipe off... compared to traditional spray waxes. Premier is as easy as the easiest traditional spray waxes IMO.

6. Thanks fly07sti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I apologize for not posting any pics until now. Here are pics after the car was washed once and then sat in my garage for a week:

Of course it’s hard to tell the difference between top LSPs in pictures, but it looks nice.

Easier to see in pictures is beading, and today there was a light, sometimes misty rain and the first moisture on the car since applying looked absolutely wonderful. The type of rain may have contributed but the beads are smaller and look better than the wife’s car with CQ UK 2.0 and the Acura with Cancoat... pretty impressive:

Here is a close up of beads on the back roof compared to the Audi with CQ UK...

BMW w/ Premier:

Audi w/ CQ UK 2.0:

Does my comparison mean anything? No.
    The UK paint was dirtier and was applied 3 months ago. UK will no doubt look great for a long time.
    The IGL paint is being hit with water for the first time. It’s water behavior performance will likely regress a lot over the next 2, 3, 4 months.

I show the above comparison only because I love tiny, tight beads; and Premier in the early going has excellent, top-notch beading.

8. Thanks Craig Encinitas, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I apologize for not posting any pics until now. Here are pics after the car was washed once and then sat in my garage for a week:

Of course it’s hard to tell the difference between top LSPs in pictures, but it looks nice.

Easier to see in pictures is beading, and today there was a light, sometimes misty rain and the first moisture on the car since applying looked absolutely wonderful. The type of rain may have contributed but the beads are smaller and look better than the wife’s car with CQ UK 2.0 and the Acura with Cancoat... pretty impressive:

Here is a close up of beads on the back roof compared to the Audi with CQ UK...

BMW w/ Premier:

Audi w/ CQ UK 2.0:

Does my comparison mean anything? No.
    The UK paint was dirtier and was applied 3 months ago. UK will no doubt look great for a long time.
    The IGL paint is being hit with water for the first time. It’s water behavior performance will likely regress a lot over the next 2, 3, 4 months.

I show the above comparison only because I love tiny, tight beads; and Premier in the early going has excellent, top-notch beading.
    It definitely has something to do with that type of rain. The light misty rain produces amazing beads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice pictures!

12. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice pics and product. Here's my issue with IGL Premiere: Once used, it has a shelf life of 6 months. See the MSDS page at the website.
    Un opened, it has a 12 month shelf life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Very nice pics and product. Here's my issue with IGL Premiere: Once used, it has a shelf life of 6 months. See the MSDS page at the website.
    Wow, I didn’t know that but have you seen a bottle harden/mush/fail, or product become weak after the amount of time? I don’t trust the MSDS expirations, as I understand in certain parts of the world it is a requirement to list one and may be used as a motivation to keep purchasing or as an ultra-conservative liability.

I don’t know the answer, but my fingers are crossed. I have a few bottles from sales. The coconut-water-looking sprays (which seem to be siloxane types) seem like they can last without hardening. PBL coatings as an example, Feynlab Ceramic Spray as another example.

Post Thanks / Like

The vehicle looks great !!!!

I think I found my new my screen saver... LOL

16. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IGL Premier mini-review / thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    So I had to go to the website and ask whether these expirations are functional or just ‘come buy more soon’ inspired.

They were consistent with the MSDS in their customer support response:

This doesn’t mean I believe it yet. I’ll have one bottle that will go well over 12 months unopened, so I guess I will report back when that gets opened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast