autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Beasley NSP Z1

Short and sweet review of Dr. Beasley NSP Z1.

I have used this product a few times now and so far I'm liking it lots.
    As far as correction capabilities it works good with a da but works GREAT with a rotary !

Below are before and after pictures on the lower rear bumper of my Trans Am.
    Used the FLEX PE-150 with a Hex Logic white 5" pad and Dr. Beasley NSP Z1 only.

No my whole car is not riddled in swirls like the portion below lol. I do a lot of racing and that area collects a lot of rubber so I just leave it but figured it would be a good test area for this area and a rotary.

Before

After
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dr. Beasley NSP Z1-20200915_075621_copy_1600x900-jpg   Dr. Beasley NSP Z1-20200915_075700_copy_1600x900-jpg   Dr. Beasley NSP Z1-20200915_081625_copy_1600x900-jpg  
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Mike Phillips

Re: Dr. Beasley NSP Z1

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post

Short and sweet review of Dr. Beasley NSP Z1.

I have used this product a few times now and so far I'm liking it lots.

As far as correction capabilities it works good with a da but works GREAT with a rotary !

Looks good!

Did the product become gummy at all after using via rotary?

As in the wipe-off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Looks good!

Did the product become gummy at all after using via rotary?

As in the wipe-off?

No, I would compare the wipe off comparable to using it with the da. Probably a tit more difficult but imo a non issue.

I did give it firm pad pressue and ran it at about 900 rpms and although the pad did not glide with ease like a traditional compound/ polish, it actually had good workability and was just fine with the rotary.

I made 5 passes and while working it, it did not gum up or dry out but could see that happening as you bump up the rpms.

Post Thanks / Like

Messed around with this product a bit more this morning....

This was on the girlfriend's 2016 X5 bmw using the FLEX XFE 15 150 and a 5" green Buff & Shine pad.

Judging by the results I got I would say this product has a pretty heavy amount of fillers in it which is more than fine if you can get results like that ! BMW clear is way hard!

This whole vehicle will be getting done with this in the near future for sure. Below are before & after....

Before

After

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Judging by the results I got I would say this product has a pretty heavy amount of fillers in it which is more than fine if you can get results like that !

Just curious - why do you think the product has a heavy amount of fillers instead of simply abrading the paint and removing the swirls and scratches?

I'm in no way doubting what you see with your results but as a person that's been in this industry as long as most and longer than many - I've seen a lot of misinformation and confusion over the topic of fillers and filling.

Mike Phillips

For reference, here's the link to the product info page

One-Step Nano Surface Primer | NSP Z1

I'll share this thread with Jim Lafeber, aka Dr. Beasley and ask him for any insight he may have.

He'll also be my guest at my 3-day class next week where we'll be using all his new NSP products on a variety of cars using a variety to tools.

Nothing wrong with a product that fill if that's what it's intended to do. This product is intended to do 2 things though,

1: Remove defects - in other words remove paint and thus LEVEL it.

2: Leave behind a layer of protection that includes "a genuine ceramic nanocoating, containing a blend of proprietary nanoparticles that includes SiO2 and TiO2" (from the above webpage)

And of course, as I explained in this article, ANY product that leaves behind protection means it is depositing itself onto the paint and this means it is layering over or covering over the paint surface and when we go deeper - this means if there are voids in the paint then it is layering over or covering over the voids and this is what I believe people mean when they say a product fills.

Just trying to make sure there's no confusion over what this product is and what it is supposed to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just curious - why do you think the product has a heavy amount of fillers instead of simply abrading the paint and removing the swirls and scratches?

I'm in no way doubting what you see with your results but as a person that's been in this industry as long as most and longer than many - I've seen a lot of misinformation and confusion over the topic of fillers and filling.

I should have explained my reasoning a bit instead of just firing it out there but here is my thoughts....

I absolutley do not doubt it has a good correcting ability.
    The reason I pointed my finger a bit at some type of filler capabilities is I have not done a full correction on this vehicle but have messed around with it a bit.

The main thing that made me jump to that conclusion is that this clear is pretty hard and the damage is a bit more severe than I was able to capture in the photo but was able to correct it to near perfection. I have in the past on the driver's side fender, (Dr. Beasley was on passenger) tested to see where I could get with Menzerna 400 and a white Buff & Shine pad using a 21mm da and did not come close to the results I got with Dr. Beasley. Which would jump this product ahead of many serious compounds out there and be able to finish as good or better than a lot of polishes.

The very thick consistency was another reason that led me to believe filling capabilities.

No matter which way you cut it, personally I am VERY impressed with this product and absolutley will be using this on a regular basis.

Mike Phillips

I should have explained my reasoning a bit instead of just firing it out there but here is my thoughts....
    Yeah - expressing yourself fully takes time - typing time - most people don't do it - so thank you!

tested to see where I could get with Menzerna 400 and a white Buff & Shine pad using a 21mm da and did not come close to the results I got with Dr. Beasley.

Which would jump this product ahead of many serious compounds out there and be able to finish as good or better than a lot of polishes.
    That makes sense. Menzerna FG 400, (or whatever they call it now days), is a VERY GOOD compound/polish.

In my experience - most if not all one-step products on the market, be it Meguiar's M66, 3D Speed, BLACKFIRE One Step - (all AIOs), none of these are as aggressive as true compounds because it's too much of a jump to get them to but cut GREAT and then finish out GREAT.

So MOST one-step products in order to finish out GREAT have to cut back on the cut to finish out acceptably on the widest spectrum of paint system AND when used by a wide spectrum of people of unknown skill levels.

From my limited use - I would GUESS the Z1 is similar - that is it's not going to have the cut of a compound but of a polish so it can finish out great on the widest spectrum of paint systems by the widest spectrum of end-users. BUT I could be wrong. This is brand new abrasive technology. More use will reveal it's capabilities.

The very thick consistency was another reason that led me to believe filling capabilities.
    I can see how people could think this way - but I personally would not assume because a product is thick to also mean it's heavy on filling.

I too was surprised at it's consistency and appearance - enough so that in my first use and review I took a close-up picture to share with the world.

Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

Product consistency

This is also something unique about the product, unlike most compounds, polishes and all-in-ones, the family of NSP primers, including Z1 have a somewhat textured consistency that you can see in this close-up shot.

I've used a LOT of different compounds, polishes and all-in-ones in my life and NEVER used anything like this and its texture. That's not a negative characteristic it's JUST a characteristic.

No matter which way you cut it, personally I am VERY impressed with this product and absolutely will be using this on a regular basis.

Copy that. Dr. Beasley's is on to something.

Thank you for taking the time to chime back in with your additional thoughts after using the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Why am I not finding this on the store front? And also, what is the difference between this and NSP95?

Post Thanks / Like

TACsystem Total One Essential primer polish looks similar to that, Mike. It doesn’t have fillers in it.

Competing product, so I’ll leave it at that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast