autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 15 III vs. Gear Driven DA’s

Dr Olds...

That is good info! Thanks....

Going to have to go through a bit of a learning curve re Flex polishers. I have both CBeast and the cordless finisher. I still need to get the 7" pads for the finisher.

Hopefully between the CBeast and cordless polisher, it'll get the job done.

Then I don't need to use the Rupes 15 Mark II with all the cords.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Dr Olds...

That is good info! Thanks....

Going to have to go through a bit of a learning curve re Flex polishers. I have both CBeast and the cordless finisher. I still need to get the 7" pads for the finisher.

Hopefully between the CBeast and cordless polisher, it'll get the job done.

Then I don't need to use the Rupes 15 Mark II with all the cords.

Tom

I love the Flex cordless and use them as much as possible. No cords are amazing.

That being said, I’m power hungry and sometimes their corded cousins just can’t be beat!
    Jim

3. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have the Supa beast next on my list after getting bunch of 7" pads!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

5. Likes Dr Oldz liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post

Hummm....Gonna need to re-eval force rotation and free spinning DA.

Mike's comments above made me rethink and I am observing results carefully.

I am beginning to wonder if force rotation is NOT the best thing to use on med to med/soft and soft paints.

Leaves a slight haze---hard to see till hit see it out in the sun.

If one wants high gloss or off the charts paint "pop", Use free spinning DA on med/soft to soft paint.

Is this correct?

Tom

I shared the below in another thread today and have actually been sharing it for years now. It might be the earliest documented observation of free spinning vs gear-driven polisher results on soft paints. Not sure how someone would "search" for anything in writing or in video that dates before 2012

I actually answered this topic as to whether a gear-driven orbital polisher or a free spinning random orbital polisher will finish better back in 2012.

See post #32 in this thread,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tml#post809378

Here's the question and for those that don't know (because the Meguiar's G100 is not longer made), the Meguiar's G100 is an 8mm FREE SPINNING random orbital polisher. And the FLEX 3401 he's referring to is an 8mm gear-driven orbital polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Amos View Post

What made you decide to finish out with the Meguiar's G110 vs the Flex 3401?

Pad size selection or the non forced rotation maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Good question...

I find on softer paints like this car has that the PC style with a Fine Cut Polish finishes out nicer than with the more powerful Flex 3401.

The paint on this car was incredibly soft.

I only did my test spot using the Flex 3401 and end-results were acceptable, I did the 8mm free spinning step just to "make sure".

I also machine applied the wax using the Meguiar's G110 polisher.

Saw this car recently while working on a Maserati, still looks just like it looks in the pictures.

So I can't answer for others but since 2012 it's been my opinion that when it comes to soft paints - any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher will finish out nicer than any brand of gear-driven orbital polisher when all other factors are the same.

And just to add....

If I'm NOT working on soft paint - I go gear-driven orbital with the pedal to the metal. If I am working on soft paint - then I choose a SIMPLE 8mm random orbital polisher to do the work.

If a person reads this write-up carefully - you'll see I CORRECTED the paint on this car with a FINE cut polish, a SOFT foam finishing pad and a Griot's 8mm G6 - paint was SUPER soft an any brand of gear-drive oribtal would not have finished as nice as a simple free spinning random orbital polisher.

Original BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT paint - 1996 Porsche 993

The best thing is to have a collection of tools so you can choose and use the right tool for the paint you're working on.

That and learn how to do a Test Spot and then read the results from your testing so you can move forward.

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been in the market to buy my first polisher for some time and threads like this are very helpful but also make the decision harder. I only do this as a hobby and likely will only need to correct a handful of cars so I was planning on picking up the new Griot's G15 as it's $240 retail and Black Friday is just around the corner. I've been looking at polishers long enough where I realize that Rupes doesn't really do sales and sits at almost twice the price of the G15.

I always end up still wanting a Rupes after reading up on threads like this, but I don't know if the price difference would really pay off. The machine could likely see months or possibly years of sitting on the shelf in between uses and I likely wouldn't buy another machine.

Hate to derail the main focus but would appreciate if I could get other's 2 cents in my situation.

9. Likes Mike Hoekstra, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the tool. It's the tool using it. I have had the opportunity to use Rupes polishers alongside other brands. Rupes makes a good product, and they have a solid name and brand loyalty. However, I found them to stall out while I used them both at my fellow detailer's places who are Rupes guys, and at the Mike's boot camp. Dialing in the right product and pad will allow a detailer to finish out any kind of paint with a gear driven da polisher like the Mille or Beast. I have, and can, do it. It's not just the tool or method, it's the technique and knowledge of what a product and tool will do in its full capacity.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

11. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
    I have been in the market to buy my first polisher for some time and threads like this are very helpful but also make the decision harder. I only do this as a hobby and likely will only need to correct a handful of cars so I was planning on picking up the new Griot's G15 as it's $240 retail and Black Friday is just around the corner. I've been looking at polishers long enough where I realize that Rupes doesn't really do sales and sits at almost twice the price of the G15.

I always end up still wanting a Rupes after reading up on threads like this, but I don't know if the price difference would really pay off. The machine could likely see months or possibly years of sitting on the shelf in between uses and I likely wouldn't buy another machine.

Hate to derail the main focus but would appreciate if I could get other's 2 cents in my situation.
    After taking Mike's detailing boot camp class and using the Griot's G9 and Rupes polishers, spend the money on the G9. I tried to make it stall out and it wouldn't unless I really laid into it. It's a powerful machine that Griot's could charge double the asking price. Save yourself the money and buy the Griot's over the Rupes.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    After taking Mike's detailing boot camp class and using the Griot's G9 and Rupes polishers, spend the money on the G9.
    I was going to suggest the same. Or even "find" a new GG6 so he can get a 3" plate and pads.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After taking Mike's detailing boot camp class and using the Griot's G9 and Rupes polishers, spend the money on the G9. I tried to make it stall out and it wouldn't unless I really laid into it. It's a powerful machine that Griot's could charge double the asking price. Save yourself the money and buy the Griot's over the Rupes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I was going to suggest the same. Or even "find" a new GG6 so he can get a 3" plate and pads.
    Thanks so much for the help. I did look at the G9 too but had read longer throws are more friendly for beginners due it dissipating heat better?

There's a combo pack out there (can't remember where I saw it) with the G9 and G8 for less than $350. Are the, "minis" needed (as @JustJesus) had suggested?

Post Thanks / Like

spend the money on the G9. I tried to make it stall out and it wouldn't unless I really laid into it. It's a powerful machine that Griot's could charge double the asking price. Save yourself the money and buy the Griot's over the Rupes.
    I can second this, Mike.

I couldn't believe how much pressure it took to even make the G9 think about stalling. I was actually expecting the panel to start denting inward.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

18. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast