autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Zymol Atomic Graphene Shield

Long time lurker here and I thought that I'd share my experience with a relatively new product here. I couldn't find any online reviews of this product anywhere so here are some thoughts of mine.

First, I am not a detailer by profession am am a hobbyist and even then I'm more about having a simple to follow routine than going for perfection. I keep my cars clean but know that keeping a daily driver pristine in New England is a losing battle.

I have been using Prima Hydro Max and have had decent success with it. Simple to install, no issues with having to worry about surface, just install everywhere. My only complaints about it are: 1) It needs to be reapplied pretty often. 2) It attracts dust. I use the Prima Hydro wash which helps extend the life of the application but it's not my favorite soap out there. However, the application is pretty easy so keeping up with it isn't an issue except for winter where I lose the ability to hand wash.

I picked up a new vehicle this summer and for whatever reason, the Hydro Max seemed to be working "OK". It didn't feel as slick on the paint of the new car as it did on the old one. I got into detailing about the time that the ceramic coatings were coming into vogue and was looking at ceramic options but I didn't feel that my skill was up to doing an application correctly. In my research there are some new products based on graphene coming to market and there was a Zymol product that looked like it might be promising - easy to use and it didn't seem to be as daunting as a ceramic application.

So I gave it a whirl this weekend. Washed the vehicle down with some Zymol soap first through a foam gun and then a two-bucket wash. Dried the vehicle and then applied the product per the packaging - spray, wipe with an applicator, wait 90-120 seconds, spray again and then "polish" in with a clean MF. I was careful to avoid trim and other porous surfaces. Went on pretty easy. Wiped off with no issues.

It was more difficult to apply than the Hydro MAX. Easier than a standard wax. It seems to be pretty forgiving if you get a little on trim.

Is it earth-shatteringly better? No, not really. The paint is not any different than the Hydro Max that I can tell. It might rain this week so perhaps i can compare how it beads but I have a feeling that the performance will be the same.

Conclusion: It works well. Not sure that it commands the premium price out there. If I had to do it over, I'd probably consider the new Griots 3-in-1 or even the Blackfire Pro Ceramic or just keep doing what has worked in the past.

I will revisit this after it's on there for a couple of weeks. Mostly I want to see if it attracts less dust and that it lasts "longer" than the product its replacing. Hope that this helps anyone interested. Apologies for the lack of images at this point.

Mike Phillips

Re: Zymol Atomic Graphene Shield

Quote Originally Posted by jsargevt View Post

Long time lurker here and I thought that I'd share my experience with a relatively new product here. I couldn't find any online reviews of this product anywhere so here are some thoughts of mine.

Because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the personal insight. I’m definitely interested in your thoughts going forward. This is the first I’ve read on this product, so for that you are commended.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me the Adams product is a better product but more expensive.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Mike, Thanks! You have provided valuable insight over the years to me and countless others. Just trying to pay it back in some small way.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks for the personal insight. I’m definitely interested in your thoughts going forward. This is the first I’ve read on this product, so for that you are commended.
    Thanks. I am happy to share what insight I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    Seems to me the Adams product is a better product but more expensive.
    I couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two. Do you have some source for that? I admit that I gambled a little bit trying something that nobody else had taken the time to write anything else up on. I have had decent experience with Zymol in the (distant) past so I don't think that they'd put out a terrible product. With so many choices out there its overwhelming.

7. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My comment is based on the idea that the carnauba portion of a sealant tends to degrade. I'd pick a pure synthetic product over a hybrid product for durability. Adams comes in at 1 year durability for the spray and 7 years for the liquid.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    My comment is based on the idea that the carnauba portion of a sealant tends to degrade. I'd pick a pure synthetic product over a hybrid product for durability. Adams comes in at 1 year durability for the spray and 7 years for the liquid.
    Ah gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!! I wish there was a better way to compare and contrast these things.