autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: DP Need for Bead

New product from DP, I would like to think I’m one of the first to review, so here we go.

DP Need For Bead

Description:
    DP Need for Bead is the perfect tool for an extremely slick and hydrophobic surface. DP Need for Bead is safe to use on wet or dry vehicles and on a variety of surfaces. Easy-to-use, DP Need for Bead can even be used as topper on top of existing waxes, sealants, and coatings. Amazing water beading protection doesn't have to be expensive or difficult now that you can have DP Need for Bead in your detailing arsenal!

What you can expect:
    • SLICKNESS: Hydrophobicity awaits your surface with intense water beading action.
    • SAFE: Feel free to use on virtually all your exterior surfaces!
    • EASY: Just spray away and await the beading.

Directions:
    *Only use on cool surfaces and out of direct sunlight*
    - For best results, wash vehicle to remove large pieces of debris before application.
    - Spray DP Need For Bead directly onto the surface.
    -Using a clean, microfiber buffing towel, spread the product evenly over the surface.
    -Flip to a new side on your towel and buff excess product away.
    -DP Need For Bead can be used as often as you’d like!

Initial impression:
    - Very affordable ($9.99 for 16oz)
    - Marine blue color
    - Smells like blue Gatorade.

Application:
    I picked an 80degF afternoon to apply to the Q5. The car currently wears BF Paint Sealant alone on the passenger side and BF Fire Over Ice combo (BF PS topped with Midnight Sun) on the driver’s side. Underneath all of this may be some 7 month old Cancoat if it survived BF pre-wax cleaner (I think it did).

Q5 was washed with BF Car Wash prior. The paint remained out of the sun but still warm during wash and now application. First I applied to everywhere except the hood while the car was still wet.

As a drying aid, a few sprays on the drying towel and one spray per panel easily allowed the towel to absorb the water. Droplets that were sprayed immediately started sheeting downward. One pass to dry, another quick pass to clean up any remaining moisture and remaining product. I experienced pretty much zero streaking with the two passes. In a few tight areas I saw some minor streaking which came out with an additional pass of the towel.

Then on glass, with exact same results:

Afterwards, I dried the hood to do some dry application. The hood of the Q5 is very black, it will streak at any chance possible, especially in warmth.

I got out some friends that seemed were comparable just to have a measuring stick:
    - Bead Maker
    - M37 Trademark Extender Spray Wax

I tried all three of these sparingly on 3 different parts of the front hood, then I tried each heavy on the back hood.

Action shots below, using Need for Bead:

What I found is that DP Need for Bead applies as easily as BM. I almost wanted to say it applies less streaky during heavy application... but it’s hard to pick a winner of two products that spray on and wipe off on the hood of the Q5 in 80degF and leave zero streaking.
    M37 didn’t have the same success, leaving heavy streaks on both the sparing and heavy applications. Here’s a pic to show how treacherous this hood can be to most products, even though pics don’t do any justice:

As far as slickness, Need for Bead felt on par with BM, maybe slightly less slick, but it took me a long time to decide that. The 3rd Spray is pretty slick but not as much as the two.

As for gloss, you can be the judge based on final pictures (passenger side hood and rest of body have Need for Bead).

Final Thoughts:
    This applies as easily as any spray I’ve ever used, both wet and dry. That goes hand in hand with BM. If you forced me to pick, Need for Bead was slightly easier to wipe off from the hood.

The slickness is amazing, almost as good as BM. On par with the new age spray sealants. A step ahead of the older generation of spray sealants.

The smell is lovely if you like fruity, arctic blue Gatorade. I enjoyed it.

And to me, the gloss left behind by Need for Bead surpasses that of BM. We all know this is subjective, but I had my days with BM on this paint and while it was good, I didn’t rave about it as much as others. Need for Bead appeared to have a little more candy on this particular black paint. It looked fantastic afterwards.

Definitely worth the money and this is something you can hand to anyone off the street and I think they would enjoy the ease of use slickness and shine. No special skillz required.

2. Thanks Diner, PaulMys, SNP209, oneheadlite, fly07sti and 1 others thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: DP Need for Bead

Great review...! I’ll be curious to see if it attracts dust like BM and Crystal Mist does.

Please keep us posted if you don’t mind.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

4. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As always another killer review acuRAS82!! That black paint looks flawless as well!

Every DP product I’ve tried has performed admirably and coming from PBMG it’s has the right “pedigree.”
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

6. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: DP Need for Bead

I reapplied today as drying aid (original application from first post was on Friday 7/31).

Some beauty shots just now.

8. Thanks Meghan thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some products that streak will clear up over a day or so, not sure about the McKees.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review !!!! I got my bottle sitting here waiting for a tropical storm to blow through so I can try it
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Great review...! I’ll be curious to see if it attracts dust like BM and Crystal Mist does.

Jay
    I didn’t notice any dust accumulation over the weekend, but it was rainy and the air was pretty “clean”.

Since then I added another coat on 8/3 and applied Need for Bead over the whole hood, so I’m unable to compare to BM or Trademark. Today there is a light layer of dust. The same or barely more than the X5 which has ceramic toppings. So as of now, I would say there is no significant dust attraction, however, slightly more than ceramic spray would yield. I’ll keep an eye out as this next week will be dry after tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    I just asked the same question of another reviewer (Pats300ZX) in another thread....as far as attracting dust. I've not really had that experience with BeadMaker, but it seems to be one of the more prevalent negatives about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I did notice some dust accumulation over the course of my wife driving 40 miles a day to work. The car otherwise sat outside for the few days. Dust accumulation was more plentiful than my X5 that has ceramic toppers on it. However, it was not an amount extra that made me go “wow”.

I also never noticed a huge amount of dust accumulation with BM, but to me these attract dust like normal sealants would. Ceramic sealants seem to be pretty good with dust not “sticking” as heavily. Need for Bead accumulated a bit more than this. Nothing scary or eye-popping though.

Hope this helps.

14. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Ok, so I did notice some dust accumulation over the course of my wife driving 40 miles a day to work. The car otherwise sat outside for the few days. Dust accumulation was more plentiful than my X5 that has ceramic toppers on it. However, it was not an amount extra that made me go “wow”.

I also never noticed a huge amount of dust accumulation with BM, but to me these attract dust like normal sealants would. Ceramic sealants seem to be pretty good with dust not “sticking” as heavily. Need for Bead accumulated a bit more than this. Nothing scary or eye-popping though.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you. I'm looking at the price of this vs BeadMaker, and trying to find a way to justify the difference....with Need for Bead at 49.00 per gallon (currently on sale for 44.95) and BeadMaker coming in at 32.00 per gallon. To me, longevity would be the only criteria left, with ease of use, slickness and gloss coming in pretty close to each other. Maybe I'll try an 16oz bottle first and make my own comparison before I splurge on the gallon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast