autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant comparison test

I find this test fascinating actually. Some of these products were ones I had researched then passed up basically for one reason or the other.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

2. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update 08/25/2020 (2.5 months):
    The car has been sitting in my driveway for a week due to a piece of metal stuck in a front tire and lack of availability to get it checked out and now new fronts put on.

But I was at least able to get some pics after a brief, heavy rain today. The car hasn’t been washed in a week.

Back Roof:

Now the front roof, which I accidentally screwed up. A week ago I mistakenly put PBL Waterless Wash on the drivers side front during drying aid. This is where VS1 is applied. VS1 was still looking really good during the wash before that. But here it appears there may be WW polymers masking the VS1 behavior. I’ll keep an eye on this. It’s harder to not touch certain panels than you’d think!

Front Roof

Since I haven’t been keeping tabs on this roof in the last few weeks, I’m going to pass on attempting performance rankings. Let the pictures do the speaking. All I’ll say is that, as expected, the back row of the back roof has degraded the most. And the area with VS1 clearly got masked a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

So is WG CSC still in the lead ? I'm following because I bought a bottle during the 50% off sale and have yet to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    So is WG CSC still in the lead ? I'm following because I bought a bottle during the 50% off sale and have yet to use it.
    WG CSC is as good as any now. It’s hard to compare front roof versus back in my experience. Front doesn’t have a perpendicular angle towards the sky/sun. Back doesn’t get the brunt of road grime.

But the way CSC rejects water is very impressive still and I still have it tied in my lead. Premier, Wowo’s are still top notch too, and Feynlab seems to have caught up with them. It’s between these 4 but if I were to NOT take roof sections into account, CSC would be the standalone leader... but I do take sections into account and being on a slight angle gives CSC a bit of advantage.

Sorry if I’ve confused you. It’s not easy picking these things.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Man oh man I really appreciate all the hard work you put into this test! Great work man.

7. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick check in, pics taken after a day of heavy rain. This shows some weakness compared to the picks two posts above which were after only one quick downpour. I forgot the front roof with WG CSC and VS1, unfortunately.

Granted the car has not been cleaned in some time, clearly the back (lower) row of lighter maintenance sprays are showing more degradation than the front (upper) row of more substantial sprays. It is what it is though. The car has been outside for the last 7-10 days and in the shop briefly to have new front tires put on.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I’m doing another, more recent SiO2 spray sealant test on my Acura over on Autopia.

SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant test on Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Update from Saturday 09/05/2020 (5 days short of 3 months):
    The X5 has continued to live outside as I have spent more than a week letting the Q5 have the garage to piecemeal correction/prep, etc.

In preparation for a vacation I gave a wash with DP Coating Maintenance Wash and afterwards took some water pics:

Back Roof:

First, I apologize about the angle as it’s hard to see the driver’s side results. And the side-angle spray impacts the sheeting of these and this is the only angle I took pics (was in a rush getting ready for my trip). Regardless here is my rankings of the middle roof coating lite wannabes as far as remaining performance at the near-three-month mark:

Coating lite wannabes:
    1) Wowo’s CS
    2) Feynlab
    3) IGL
    4) TW Hybrid Solutions CSC

Wowo’s is some stout stuff. More of a standalone than a topper from what I gather. For a dirt cheap option it’s a beast.

Feynlab co to yes it’s comeback tour, surpassing IGL. I respect the Feynlab Spray now especially when price is factored.

IGL showing signs of fading from the 2.5-3 month mark but certainly not dead.

TW is odd, some days it looks ok and other days it looks like it’s on its last leg. Today it looked pretty ok, on par with IGL.

The back row of maintenance sprays were looking in pretty rough shape so I took another round of water shots for just them:

I was happy enough that I can call a winner and a loser of this row and move on from it:
    1) Britemax Remax
    2) BF SiO2 Spray Sealant
    3) Mckees 365
    4) Jescar Bead-It

Britemax was a nice surprise as far as longevity and performance vs price.

BF SiO2 is solid which many people are aware of.

M37 365 is marketed as a 1 year spray coating but I’ve tested it 3 times now and it doesn’t perform top notch and lasts on the lower end of maintenance sprays.

I do want to shout out that despite Bead-It looking the most weathered/ dead the soonest, I actually like price and the application due to bring very simple and non-finicky. It’s the easiest of these 4 to use. Don’t deter from buying it if you like to apply things somewhat regularly (every 4-6 or 8 weeks).

Anyways, I then applied PA Gold Zirkon over the maintenance spray row as I didn’t feel confident in my back roof being protected from whatever vacation may throw at it during the next week. Back roof maintenance spray test is done.

Now the front roof.

Front Roof

Sorry, in my rush I forgot to take pics again. But WG CSC still looks very good. Beading and sheeting great.

VS1 looked hurt enough (not dead but not making me feel good about being on vacation with it) that I decided to also end its run and apply PA Gold Zirkon over it.

1) WG CSC looking great
    2) VS1 looked meh, it’s not removed from test

On a side note, here’s some beauty shots of the X5 with its new coat of Gold Zircon on top of 1.5 month old Infinity Wax, just because I’m flexing:

11. Likes PaulMys, Zenny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great test. Thanks for posting.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

13. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Great test. Thanks for posting.
    Coming from you, RippyD, I’m honored. You’re the man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast