autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant comparison test

I figured “why not?” after correcting the X5 M. Roof was coated, polished with WG Finishing Glaze, then wiped with Kleen-Strip Prep-All a few times for prep, then CarPro Essence with Gloss Pads.

The two coats of applications for each product occurred on 6/10/20 and 6/11/20.

Front Roof - The Easy Applicators:

Middle Roof - The Coating Lite Wannabes

Near-Rear Roof - The Maintenance Sprays

NOTE: The far back roof/spoiler is wearing KK Infinite Wax like the rest of the vehicle... not part of this spray sealant test.

Fast forward 3 weeks to 7/1/20, after being a garage queen with occasional travel, the car had its first bath with CarPro Reset. The short videos after washing don’t show much to takeaway besides strong properties from all products. No rough weather yet.

Front:
    YouTube

Middle-Back:
    YouTube

I plan to add my application experiences soon, despite being applied to very small areas.

I’ll also add occasional updates. I may add a larger field onto another roof as part of a separate, parallel test since there were some I wasn’t able to fit on here (GG 3-in-1, DPC Armor, Overcoat, some Polish Angel).

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by acuRAS82; 07-03-2020 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added CarPro Essence applied before Spray Sealants

2. Thanks oneheadlite, Kneel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant comparison test

Mmmm. BMW time. lol

From the first video it looked like WG had a slight edge over 22PLE. You really have a test going with various products.

Thanks for putting together and sharing Robert. Will be following along.

BTW, I have a pair of E9X's. E90 335i and E91 328i Touring. Both jet black.

4. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Mmmm. BMW time. lol

From the first video it looked like WG had a slight edge over 22PLE. You really have a test going with various products.

Thanks for putting together and sharing Robert. Will be following along.

BTW, I have a pair of E9X's. E90 335i and E91 328i Touring. Both jet black.
    I would agree that WG is tossing water aside faster than VS1 in the early going. Go figure, previous tests had WG as not a great beader/sheeter for me. Although I’m beginning to wonder if temperature plays a huge role in how well these things cure and or how just water beads and sheets during testing. Everything I do gets noticeably better results when I apply in hot weather and water test in hot weather.

I’m jealous of your jet black E9X’s! My only gripe with my beast is that it isn’t dark, dark, Jet. So I do my best to make it look dark but next to the brilliant black Q5, I usually like the Q5 paint more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I would agree that WG is tossing water aside faster than VS1 in the early going. Go figure, previous tests had WG as not a great beader/sheeter for me. Although I’m beginning to wonder if temperature plays a huge role in how well these things cure and or how just water beads and sheets during testing. Everything I do gets noticeably better results when I apply in hot weather and water test in hot weather.

I’m jealous of your jet black E9X’s! My only gripe with my beast is that it isn’t dark, dark, Jet. So I do my best to make it look dark but next to the brilliant black Q5, I usually like the Q5 paint more.
    Interesting that you are noting better performance in hot weather. Wonder if it is flashing and curing better with the warmer temps. I imagine that could be the case. After all, the same thing goes when painting. Paint flows on the material when warm and cures better rather than in cooler temperatures.

Man, jet black paint is a love/hate relationship! Takes so much time to looking proper but when you do simply no other color looks as great as jet black. Is yours Carbon Schwartz Metallic? That's my favorite color on M products as you cant get jet black paint on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Man, jet black paint is a love/hate relationship! Takes so much time to looking proper but when you do simply no other color looks as great as jet black. Is yours Carbon Schwartz Metallic? That's my favorite color on M products as you cant get jet black paint on them.
    Mine is black sapphire metallic. Looking up the difference between your fave M color and my paint, from a BMW forum:

Black Sapphire transitions from a very deep black in the shade/overcast light, to a very strong metallic in direct sunlight. Carbon Black also has the very strong metallic in direct sunlight, probably more than BSM, however in shade/overcast light it looks like a muted blue colour. There's definitely more variance in Carbon Black, however having owned both in a short period of time, i'd say the Black Sapphire is significantly more stealth like. Carbon Black looks more premium/luxurious though.
    Google pictures of Carbon Metallic:

Google of my paint:

8. Likes Mike@DedicatedPerfection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI, I forgot that I applied these on Essence, initial post is updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on this! Sub'd for updates!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Update 7/9/20 (1 month):

Only about 1 week of not being a garage queen, but it was a week of low to mid-90s highs, so that counts for something. No further washes besides the one posted above.

Reference:

Below is video of the first rain the vehicle has endured, after a week+ of drought.
    YouTube

Since videos don’t always come out great, below are some pictures all taken within a ~20 second time period:

And then one pic once the rain stopped:

Only a few takeaways for me:

1) Feynlab isn’t looking as good as the other 3 heavy hitters, particularly compared to IGL which some have wondered how they compare. I’m still rooting for Feynlab due to price, maybe it will age well.

2) Although the front roof can’t be assessed in these pics, WG CSC, as seen on the strip on the right side of the moonroof seems to still be a little better behavior than VS1. Nothing major, but a slight lead especially when viewed in person.

Everything else seems like good performing, fairly new spray sealant performance to me.

12. Likes Zenny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update 07/18/2020 (5+ weeks):

Reference:

Back Roof
    X5 M Back Roof 07/18/20 - YouTube

Front Roof
    X5 M Front Roof 07/18/2020 - YouTube

Continued Observations:
    - Feynlab still a bit behind but not looking any worse; closing gap??
    - WG CSC still looking great, better than VS1, though they both are behaving great.

New Observations:
    - M37 now looks to be the weakest of the back maintenance sprays. Interesting because M37 claims longevity similar to the “Coating Lite Wannabes” in the row above. I had made a decision to leave M37 out of the big boys row and now it has surpassed Feynlab as the least hydrophobic at 5 weeks.
    - Bead-It has lost a little bit of performance but not bad.
    - TW looks like it has fallen a step behind IGL and Wowo’s. Hard to see being the furthest in the video but I get to see from everywhere.

If I had to put together a list of best performing at week 5:
    T-1) WG CSC
    T-1) Wowo’s CS
    T-1) IGL Premier
    4) VS1
    T-5) BF SiO2 Spray
    T-5) Britemax Remax
    T-5) TW
    8) Feynlab
    9) Jescar Bead-It
    10) M37 365

14. Thanks Kneel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=acuRAS82;2176254]Mini-Update 07/27/2020 (~7 weeks):

Reference:

Quick pic after a rain yesterday:

Quick observations:
    - IGL looks best.
    - Feynlab looks like it’s improving

- Britemax leading maintenance sprays in row 2
    - Blackfire begins to show some degrading
    - Mckees and Bead-It are the most degraded

Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the front roof, but WG CSC and VS1 are still looking good.

16. Likes Zenny, Thomkirby liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast