autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Clay Mitt: Useless?

I wanted to give this product a shot. I thought being able to "clay" my vehicle more frequently while I was was a fantastic idea. However, after attempting to use the product I have to say that it was a complete waste of money.

Perhaps I was using it wrong, so here is what I did:

I tried this out on my "old beater" the last time I washed it. As directed, I first used the mitt on glass using a fresh bucket of wash soap (Meguiars Gold Class). I did all the glasswork (an SUV with tons of glass), and then proceeded to use it on the paintwork.

I used a very, very liberal amount of soap/water and as I rubbed the mitt across the paint (with very light pressure) I could hear the mitt "grabbing" the contaminants but no matter how long I worked a panel they were never removed. To make sure I wasn't crazy and didn't have some super contaminants I took a standard clay bar to an adjacent panel. After a couple minutes the standard clay bar removed all the contaminants easy peasy. I then clayed the panel I tried with the mitt, and while it took a little bit less time to do "real clay" in that area there were still a ton of contaminants pulled out by the clay.

So it obviously picked up some, but overall was ineffective. Perhaps the use case here is regular maintenance (e.g. every wash) vs. remediation?

Mike Phillips

Re: Blackfire Clay Mitt: Useless?

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTeg View Post

I used a very, very liberal amount of soap/water and as I rubbed the mitt across the paint (with very light pressure) I could hear the mitt "grabbing" the contaminants but no matter how long I worked a panel they were never removed.

To make sure I wasn't crazy and didn't have some super contaminants I took a standard clay bar to an adjacent panel.

After a couple minutes the standard clay bar removed all the contaminants easy peasy.

I then clayed the panel I tried with the mitt, and while it took a little bit less time to do "real clay" in that area there were still a ton of contaminants pulled out by the clay.

So it obviously picked up some, but overall was ineffective.

Perhaps the use case here is regular maintenance (e.g. every wash) vs. remediation?

I've used the BF Clay Mitt with no problems on most cars.

I will share this though. Here's teh link to the thread I created for the class topics and schedule for MTE this year, (back in January).

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

Here's the title of one of the classes I taught. I made the pertinent text in this discussion bold red.

4: Detailing Clay vs Detailing Clay Mitts, Towels & Pads – Differences & Benefits

Some people think clay mitts, towels and pads are the best way to remove above surface bonded contaminants like overspray paint and industrial fallout. Some people think they are the fastest way to mechanically decontaminate paint.

But that’s not always true.

Detailing clay was introduced to the U.S. market in the early 1990s and it’s still just as an effective and important tool in your detailing arsenal today as it was 30 years ago.

In this class you will learn when detailing clay is the best choice and when clay substitutes are the best choice.

You will also learn time and money saving techniques to use with each option.

The final end-results always START with a great foundation to build upon. Learn why to never skip the mechanical decontamination step and the fundamental law of car detailing – gloss comes from a smooth surface.

The above was the title of the class, a picture to tell the story and the description.

Mike Phillips

More....

Here's WHY I chose to teach this class. We had Mercedes-Benz here at Autogeek to shoot some videos. The car had some black overspray paint on it. The only thing that removed the overspray paint was an AGGRESSIVE clay bar.

Clay towels, clay mitts and not even fine grade clay worked to remove it.

After seeing this with my own eyes and thinking previously that any old product would do the job - it really changed my thinking about traditional clay and aggressive clay specifically.

So could be whatever the contaminants are you're trying to remove - cold just be they "need" clay.

Mike Phillips

And more...

If you're not happy call customer care, cite this thread and get a refund.

1-800-869-3011

Post Thanks / Like

The mitt is supposed to be medium grade I think, meaning it should be pulling most contaminants out.

Post Thanks / Like

I had great luck with it (fine version) using the matching BF lube, using GG speed shine (I think) worked well but not as good as the BF.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I had great luck with it (fine version) using the matching BF lube, using GG speed shine (I think) worked well but not as good as the BF.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    The BF mitt is fine? I couldn’t find info either way after doing a quick check. Maybe I just assumed medium grade.

Post Thanks / Like

The BF Mitt is not useless. I think it works well for most jobs. It is not the most aggressive "clay" I've used, but it's proved to be effective enough I picked up a 2nd one. Yes, now I have TWO of these mitts.

here's my original thread on this mitt: Review: BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine last year but they no longer offer the BF Mitt in Fine Grade, I chatted with AG a month or two ago and they said it was no longer available, only medium grade.

Jay

10. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 BF mitts. One for wheels, three for paint.

12. Likes JustJesus liked this post