autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Review: DP Hydro Wet Seal

I was recently given a bottle of DP Hydro Wet Seal by our generous hosts here at AG to try out review. Originally it was supposed to be part of a larger project 2-car project. However, the first vehicle in that effort unexpectedly got it's wheels powder coated just before I worked on it and a back ordered product means the second vehicle hasn't been completed. I didn't want to sit around and not provide a review, so I tried it out on your own car.

What is it?

DP Hydro Wet Seal is part of PBMG's newly revived DP product line and it is their spray-on, rinse off protectant. I've never used this type of product before, but after using it I can't imagine any protectant product which would be easier to apply than those which fall into this category. Sorry I don't have one of those cool packing pictures. The one I took rotated itself sideways once uploaded here into my gallery. If you really want to see the bottle, you can find it here along with the full product details.

Application

Hydro Wet Seal application is as simple as it gets. I applied it to my wheels, but I can't imagine it being any more difficult to apply to a regular painted body panel on a vehicle. The Hydro Wet Seal was applied outdoors in the setting sun around 7:00pm on a sunny day. Temperatures were in the upper 70's and the humidity was fairly moderate for my area. I purposely did this to test it out in conditions which most average home users would encounter.

The wheels were cleaned with a wheel cleaner prior to application and per the directions I made sure the surface was wet before application. The Hydro Wet Seal was applied, rinsed off, and then left as I dried off the rest of the car. I dried the wheels last.

Spraying it on is simple. The bottle is a good size which fits well in your hand. The spray head is good quality and puts out nice even mist of product.

Rinsing off? Well, if you can handle a hose, you can rinse it off. Again very easy.

Despite the wheel sitting for a little bit before being dried, there were no issues with drying the wheel.

Results

As you can see the water is beading up nicely even before it's totally dried off. The surface wasn't noticeably slicker, but there was a bit more gloss. These wheels were "naked" prior to application, so any improvement is totally the work of the Hyrdo Wet Seal.

One thing I was worried about when trying out this product was whether it would leave some form of streaks or spotting because I didn't apply it correctly or the environment was ideal. Fortunately, I had nothing to worry about. There were no noticeable issues, and the beading is evidence it is working.

Final Thoughts

My vehicles are all daily drivers in a climate that isn't suited to "lighter" protection products. I typically go for coatings or high durability sealants. One place I didn't think of using this type of product until talking to Andre at Autogeek was my wheels. Now that I've tried it out, it makes perfect sense. The spray allows you to quickly and easily get into every corner of the wheel surface. Rinsing it off ensures the the process stays easy.

From what I can tell so far, Hydro Wet Seal does protect the surface and should hold up for at least a little while. The beauty of it is, even if it doesn't last more than a few weeks, adding more protection is only a few minutes away. It is really that easy. I only used this on my wheels to make them easier to clean in the future, but for anyone with no real time time do a full-scale sealant application to their vehicle, or has a vehicle which only needs basic protection and not a huge investment in time, this is the first place you should turn.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Thanks Bruno Soares, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, PA DETAILER liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: DP Hydro Wet Seal

Awesome review, Nate.

I have to try this!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!

Post Thanks / Like

That is the beauty of a quality spray and rinse product. For WHEELS. It gets EVERYWHERE in intricate wheel designs that no glaze or coating can reach. It's really all I use now for my wheels. And as stated above, when more protection is needed it's super easy to reapply. I call that working smarter not harder.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

So very true. I'm not sure why I've never tried something like this before.

My winter wheels are coated with CQuartz UK, but for my summer wheels which I'm able to wash frequently I see this as my go-to solution. I'm looking forward to them being easier to clean now that they have a little protection on them.

Last night my daughter and I washed her car and I used this again on her wheels. We were both blown away by how easy it was to apply and the immediate beading action you get
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post