autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

$75 here, $80 there.

In the thread about some pads, I brought up an issue with my Force pads I bought in 2016.
    LC orange pads losing stiffness?

Some of orange and whites were softer than others respectively.

I used them but was irked every time I used them. When the above thread happened I was prompted to email LC.
    I have sent the 6 white and 6 orange back and as of now, waiting for a response.

In the meantime I ordered 4 white 5.5 Force(now smartpads,I guess) and 4 orange from TRC.
    The other PBMG site was having a sale so I ordered another 6 of each. I just got them today.

*******Guess what, TRCs white pads are more firm and by a unquestionable margin. I am about to really lose it. Which is the right firmness??
    I know the softer one will get mushier sooner, which really sucks. It will work, yes, but what the heck.
    If I had a way to compression test I would post pictures so everyone doesn't think I am looney.

The orange pads feel similar, but really are they?
    I really should pack up the softer new 6 and send them back but I am coating my brothers car tomorrow.

End of rant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $75 here, $80 there.

Is it possible that not just firmness determines the aggressiveness of different pads, but also the exact material, thickness and coarseness of the surface?

I don’t know the answer, but Ive definitely noticed different brands and types being slightly different firmness... but when I do my polishing and I intermix, results seem pretty consistent for me.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Is it possible that not just firmness determines the aggressiveness of different pads, but also the exact material, thickness and coarseness of the surface?

I don’t know the answer, but Ive definitely noticed different brands and types being slightly different firmness... but when I do my polishing and I intermix, results seem pretty consistent for me.
    For sure.
    When they are supposed to be exactly the same product but come from 2 different distributors something is off.
    If I knew there was a choice of soft or firm for the same cut pad that would be a different thing altogether.
    I had my brother test them just to confirm when I debagged them and compared

Like I said, they will work,no question there. As evidence, I have been using my old ones with the same discrepancy for 4 years.

The feel will be different with an adjustment depending on sellers pad.
    Easy enough to see from the velcro since TRCs is branded.

I emailed LC again so if I have to send them one of each pad color from the 2 stores,I will.
    I never had this problem with the old 5" inch Hybrid Power Finish pads.

Gotta go, I am going to cry myself to sleep.

Post Thanks / Like

The firmness of the pad or ILD or IFD has nothing to do with density. It is just the softness or firmness of the pad. I believe the different colors have to do with density and the density is what gets more or less cut.

It getting saturated quicker i think would have to do more with the pad being an open or closed cell foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The supposedly same white Force pad from 2 different vendors has a different firmness, both received in the last week or so and never used.
    You would think there should be more of a zero tolerance for the same dang pad color of set style.
    Someone is sleeping in the foam dome.

When you polish with a soft pad that smashes down with not much pressure the foam will be compacted and I believe it would get warm quicker(not really a good thing)

Post Thanks / Like

Done dangit

I ordered 6 more whites from TRC. Hopefully the same lot number as my others.
    Ill send the other mushies back unless LC wants to compare the difference in lot numbers.

Words of wisdom, order what you need from 1 vendor and hope you get the same lot numbers.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.