autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buff and Shine Dark blue uro-tec

So I have bun using these pads rather often now. These were definitely a needed addition to the line.
    It’s my go to AIO pad. It cuts well and finishes really nice on MOST paint systems. In the past I have found for AIO work that the maroon were too aggressive while the yellow were a bit shy on cut.
    If you use uro-tec pads and haven’t tried these yet, I suggest you pick a few up. I love them on the CBEAST. They also work really nice on a long stroke polisher.
    Jim

2. Thanks dwaleke, TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buff and Shine Dark blue uro-tec

Thanks for posting. I was just looking at these for my cbeast.

I've used the yellow uro-tech on a few cars already and I have (but haven't used yet) the maroon pads for AIO jobs on medium to harder paints.

I'll be picking up the dark blue during the next sale.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Buff and Shine Dark blue uro-tec

It’s my go to AIO pad. It cuts well and finishes really nice on MOST paint systems.

In the past I have found for AIO work that the maroon were too aggressive while the yellow were a bit shy on cut.

I agree. The maroon pad tends to be to sharp for doing one-steps and can leave pad haze behind. The yellow tends to be to soft and doesn't offer enough correction ability. The blue pad fits in-between these two pads perfectly.

Do order plenty of pads though as I've noticed if you get them too hot, (use hard and long), the foam will tend to bowel-in.

I show the complete selection of Uro-Tech pads in my detailing classes when I teach entry level polishers, 8mm and now 9mm free spinning tools.

They are also a good match for the CBEAST when using the 5" backing plate.

Nice post Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

okay....color me a bit confused here. When I look at these on the B&S website, the blue pad looks to be heavier cut than the maroon ones......am I missing something? Perhaps looking at the wrong ones?

Post Thanks / Like

They have a blue cutting pad and a newer dark blue heavy polishing pad.

The dark blue are being discussed here. It fits between the yellow and maroon pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Do order plenty of pads though as I've noticed if you get them too hot, (use hard and long), the foam will tend to bowel-in.

Good tip! Personally I have learned: The more pads the better. I have no problem purchasing A LOT of pads. While initial investment is more there are a lot of Benefits:

1: fresh pads simply work better
    2: less caked up pads clean up much easier
    3: pads can last a long long time when you are not saturating and abusing them.
    4: efficiency. Less time cleaning pads and more time buffing.

I recommend to future readers to order as many pads as you can afford. I just finished up a large SUV yesterday and used a total of 14 of these specific pads on an AIO job. Pads cleaned up easy and are still brand new feeling.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    okay....color me a bit confused here. When I look at these on the B&S website, the blue pad looks to be heavier cut than the maroon ones......am I missing something? Perhaps looking at the wrong ones?
    The AutoGeek site has then listed if you look there. You will see a description. I think only available in 3, 5 and 6 inch.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

The AutoGeek site has then listed if you look there. You will see a description. I think only available in 3, 5 and 6 inch.
    Problem solved. I was looking at the 'Coarse blue' and not the 'Dark blue'. These would give me an option in between the Griots BOSS polishing pad and orange cutting pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip! Personally I have learned: The more pads the better. I have no problem purchasing A LOT of pads. While initial investment is more there are a lot of Benefits:

1: fresh pads simply work better
    2: less caked up pads clean up much easier
    3: pads can last a long long time when you are not saturating and abusing them.
    4: efficiency. Less time cleaning pads and more time buffing.

I recommend to future readers to order as many pads as you can afford. I just finished up a large SUV yesterday and used a total of 14 of these specific pads on an AIO job. Pads cleaned up easy and are still brand new feeling.
    Jim,

I only use a few per car. I have my favourites. What I do is clean them in the sink and spin them dry at 3000 rpm on my rotary. The HUGE benefit I find from doing that (I even dampen them and spin them before I first use them on the car) is that they behave MUCH better that way too. I find they get dirtier faster that way, but it's worth it due to how well they work that way. Just my $.02. Those blue pads soften up (most do) beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Jim,

I only use a few per car. I have my favourites. What I do is clean them in the sink and spin them dry at 3000 rpm on my rotary. The HUGE benefit I find from doing that (I even dampen them and spin them before I first use them on the car) is that they behave MUCH better that way too. I find they get dirtier faster that way, but it's worth it due to how well they work that way. Just my $.02. Those blue pads soften up (most do) beautifully.
    Hey buddy!! Thanks for sharing your technique!!

I’m not a fan of damp pads personally. If I want my pad softer, I will just choose a softer pad. I like to just keep buffing and worry about pad cleaning later. I try not to clean much on the fly but just grab a new pad. I also tend to find that damp pads won’t last as long for me. I can see where dampening a pad can have a benefit in some situations for some tho. I have amassed a collection of pads where I find myself not needing to do this currently.

I credit this from trying to preserve HT pads in the past. Changing them out often and not using them wet made them last much longer. I like the HT pads but if ever so slightly abused, the durability fades fast.

Many way to skin a cat and what matters is the final product no matter how you get there.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast