autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I saw graphene demonstrated on Forensic Detailing's channel about 4 months ago. I made a mental note to check it out this summer but still have not done so with everything that has been going on.

Are there many companies selling a graphene coating yet or just the SPS one?

What kind of pricing are we looking at per application?

Right now I use 2 coatings : McKee's 37 for my 2 year product and Gtechniq CLS for my 5 year one. McKee's cost almost nothing to use. About 5$ per car. CLS is about 80$ per car. I think the most expensive coatings on the market were from Optimum and Ceramic Pro, might be wrong. Opti-Coat Pro+ was in the 400$ range if I remember correctly. Never asked for pricing for Ceramic-Pro cause I have no interest in their products and company.

Any of you thinking about switching to graphene?
    With SPS one has to be authorized to get them. It is as simple as contacting them. I am not allowed to divulge the price on it. There is also waxedshine that offers a self heal graphene coating. This one is also a installer only. I heard this one is rather easy to get approved for.

Then you have Art De Shine which is run by the same folks who operate SPS. One can get their hands on the Art De Shine products. Google them. You are looking at $200 for 30ml of the nano graphene coating which said to be the same as SPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    What graphene product can u get not being authorized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Google Art De Shine and look at their nano graphene coating.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post

As always Mike, great review.

Got a little bit of humor going in this one plus some sheer honesty.
    Thanks. I am glad you enjoyed the read.

2. Thanks Coatingsarecrack, Calendyr thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack, Calendyr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Graphene the next big thing for coatings?

Looks like Artdeshine is from across the pond and out of stock most places. When I googled it Migliore came up with a graphene coating.

Pretty soon all the big brands will have to follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Any of you thinking about switching to graphene?
    Nope. Cquartz and GYEON along with the occasional 22pLe is all I need. I'm not paying $200+ for a bottle of coating that thus far hasn't proven to have anything really unique about it yet.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on time I suppose. With all the coatings around, a lot of people will still use pure carnauba and ceramic coatings definitely still are proven. With graphene, who knows. If it manages to outlast my experiences with ceramic, then maybe.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another uncredible post

The car received it's first wash last weekend. This coating is super hydrophobic and to quote waxmode oleophobic. Followed up with the spray detailer after blow drying the car.

The spray detailer like the actual coating has the graphene juice in it. Definitely shake up the bottle due to it settling within the bottle. There is nothing complicated about using this. It is a quick detailer after all that is easy on and easy off. The coating is already slick so the difference is negligible. The gloss under the coating is great and the difference is in gloss is minor at this point. I can say that the spray detailer does not have the same water behavior as the actual coating from testing it earlier in the year on a test panel.

I will say that the slick feeling from this is great.

Low and behold it rained the next morning.

Can be used on multiple surfaces and on any forms of protection.

Enjoy the super hydrophobic properties after the first wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update. Unfortunately Graphene is not the miracle product we all want it to be when it comes to water spotting.

Photos and videos coming in a bit.

10. Thanks dwaleke, Loach thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As promised. If we look at the included pamphlet that comes with SPS they clearly state decreases water spot prevention but at the same time water spot prevention.

Unfortunately that is not the case. It appears that water spotting is still going to happen. My hood is peppered in water spots in various areas in various sizes. I was only able to see them under the garage lights. After I finished the video, I took some CarPro Sportless and Optimum MDR and neither of them did anything. Although they never really work that well.

I am one month in with SPS graphene on the paint and topped with the graphene dpray detailer after the first wash.

Examples of what I am referring to.

Forensic detailing also posted a video on his channel with similar results on the art de shine graphene coating covered in water spots.

12. Thanks spazzz thanked for this post
    Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. To be honest, I kind of already expected that. Temperature + mineral deposits will always win across a single micron/two micron thickness of anything.

Edit: I think that's why the label says helps decrease waterspot potential versus completely preventing it.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

If I missed it oops, were you able to remove them?

Did any of your past coatings fair better with the power line dilemma?

I would almost think a sealant or wax would handle that condensation mineral spotting better. Have you noticed that scenario in the past?
    Looks like you have a frustrating testing site there.
    My black car looks like dookie with water spots from rain and trees but surprisingly cleans up nicely with UK on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Good to know. To be honest, I kind of already expected that. Temperature + mineral deposits will always win across a single micron/two micron thickness of anything.

Edit: I think that's why the label says helps decrease waterspot potential versus completely preventing it.
    You are right. The only nit pick I have is that it contradicts each other. One says water spot prevention and the other says decreases. It is one of the other is what I should have meant.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    If I missed it oops, were you able to remove them?

Did any of your past coatings fair better with the power line dilemma?

I would almost think a sealant or wax would handle that condensation mineral spotting better. Have you noticed that scenario in the past?
    Looks like you have a frustrating testing site there.
    My black car looks like dookie with water spots from rain and trees but surprisingly cleans up nicely with UK on it.
    Nope. They are still there. Was curious to try one of the water spot removers and neither of them worked. There must be something in the air for 2020 as this is the first time I have seen this kind of etching on any coating.

I can't recall if I had issues with a sealant. I don't think so but I haven't used one in so long.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast