autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I feel the same way.....although that new Dr Beasleys Coating looks interesting too
    there's more of us than you think. coatings are new so they get a lot of attention. But I bet if you really had an accurate poll of hobbyists it'd still be heavy on sealants. And of course turtlewax still probably sells more than anyone at autozone haha.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

2. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    there's more of us than you think. coatings are new so they get a lot of attention. But I bet if you really had an accurate poll of hobbyists it'd still be heavy on sealants. And of course turtlewax still probably sells more than anyone at autozone haha.
    I expect you may be correct. After having used the WG SIO2 sealant, I'm pretty impressed by its ease of use and results. If it holds up like I expect it to, it will be a fixture on my shelf until something better comes along.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. Do you use this instead of their Uber Ceramic?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaemish View Post
    I'm confused. Do you use this instead of their Uber Ceramic?
    Welcome to AGO! I assume you are responding to Briarpatch post 22 above. He’s using the WG SiO2 Paint Sealant, like the title of the thread. It is like a traditional liquid sealant but with SiO2 included in the formula.

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant

WG Uber Ceramic Spray Sealant is also new, came out around the same time, and is a spray on product.

Wolfgang ber Ceramic Spray Coating

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcome.

My cheap Harbor Freight rotary finally died and I bought myself a nice Mikita. I figure, why not look into some new products and bam! Overwhelmed with the options.

I ordered some Wolfgang up, I think I've used some of their stuff years past. I'm not sure that I'm sold on the coatings yet. But I am hoping this stuff is better than the Collinite 845 that has been my go-to for a few years. It has some pretty undesirable drawbacks, so I welcome something new. Think it can offer similar protection?

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered some Wolfgang up, I think I've used some of their stuff years past. I'm not sure that I'm sold on the coatings yet. But I am hoping this stuff is better than the Collinite 845 that has been my go-to for a few years. It has some pretty undesirable drawbacks, so I welcome something new. Think it can offer similar protection?
    What are your drawbacks with 845? WG SiO2 seems to provide good protection but it’s a short sample time and smaller sample size (partial panels) for me so far. So it’s hard to say, but it has nice water behavior, no etching so far, and doesn’t hold on to dirt.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    What are your drawbacks with 845? WG SiO2 seems to provide good protection but it’s a short sample time and smaller sample size (partial panels) for me so far. So it’s hard to say, but it has nice water behavior, no etching so far, and doesn’t hold on to dirt.
    I've only ever stumbled upon a few people that had this same problem. All my cars are dark, that may be part of it. I've done a lot of experiments and learned that it has to be applied very thin like most other products. However, if you go thick you'll think that you are OK, and bump into the problem a week down the road.

Basically, it can show witness lines. Almost like it sweats them. Like I said, if you go thick, they will start showing up a week down the road. Also, if memory serves... if you have anything under it (even a coat of the 845 that was applied a week+ prior, it will show these lines. The only way that I put it down is after my final pass with the rotary. If I don't polish before applying, you'll eventually run into issues where you see witness lines rising up.

Obviously, I don't want to always do a light polish before freshening up. It does protect well and it does hold up for a while though. I'm tempted to try a coating but I am suspicious and think that there may be a little too much marketing with all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever stumbled upon a few people that had this same problem. All my cars are dark, that may be part of it. I've done a lot of experiments and learned that it has to be applied very thin like most other products. However, if you go thick you'll think that you are OK, and bump into the problem a week down the road.

Basically, it can show witness lines. Almost like it sweats them. Like I said, if you go thick, they will start showing up a week down the road. Also, if memory serves... if you have anything under it (even a coat of the 845 that was applied a week+ prior, it will show these lines. The only way that I put it down is after my final pass with the rotary. If I don't polish before applying, you'll eventually run into issues where you see witness lines rising up.

Obviously, I don't want to always do a light polish before freshening up. It does protect well and it does hold up for a while though. I'm tempted to try a coating but I am suspicious and think that there may be a little too much marketing with all of them.
    I have heard of that issue with 845....on some cases, even when applied thin. I've even heard of people warming it up to thin it out so they could spray it on.

Post Thanks / Like

I've noted that with the older formula Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant you can apply a wax over it, such as Fusion Estate Wax, etc. However, there is no such mention with the Si02 Sealant. Can you add a carnauba wax on top, or is it not advisable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenR View Post
    I've noted that with the older formula Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant you can apply a wax over it, such as Fusion Estate Wax, etc. However, there is no such mention with the Si02 Sealant. Can you add a carnauba wax on top, or is it not advisable?
    You can, it should work fine, but it’s likely not recommended because it will mask the ceramic traits of the sealant. But if you want the carnauba for looks, it’ll lay on top just fine I think.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast