I picked up a 2015 BMW 328i. Black exterior and light tan interior. I got it from the insurance auction. Someone had evidently run off the road and across a sage brush covered field. The front end and under covers were full of sage brush. It had been sitting at the auction yard near the border with Mexico in a dirt lot for several months. The paint was looking pretty tired and the interior was a mess.

I got it home and started the cleaning process. Three wash downs with Chemical Guys Honeydew Soap. I was afraid to use one of my regular wash mitts for fear or ruining it. The first wash was with an older microfiber towel. After the third wash, it was looking much better, but the paint showed lots of little scratches and wear.

I was debating which product to use on the car. I knew that it was going to take some serious work. I decided to pull out the Rupes. After a thorough clay, I started with the Rupes Blue Course with the blue pad and my Rupes 21mm. I have been using my Flex 3401 for the most part and had forgotten how quiet the Rupes was. I had also forgotten what a pain in the tail the Rupes was on any curves or even side panels......dang. The Rupes Blue, and frankly the Green and Yellow are very dusty. That said, they worked terrifically! They really cut through the years of neglect and months of sitting in the sun at the border. The black paint regained its depth and beauty. I went through each of the color-coded pads and chemicals. Each did a better job of eliminating scratches and haze and created more and more depth. I went from Blue - Course, Green - Medium, Yellow - Fine and White - Very Fine. I did pull out my Flex and used it for some of the tighter spots where the Rupes kept bogging down. I used the Rupes pads on the Flex and it worked great.

I topped things off with a premium wax, I can't recall which one it was.......

Interior was initially cleaned with a Simple Green and water 50/50 solution, door panels, seats and carpets, especially the carpets. Some red wine or red sports drink had stained the passenger carpet. It is set in pretty good, thankfully a mat will cover most of it. Followed up with Einszett Cockpit Premium, I love the smell. I followed up with some Chemical Guys New Car Smell spray. I am not a fan of coverup sprays, but the prior owner must of been vaping some perfume smelling something, thankfully most of that smell is fading.

The car still needs some body work and a new front bumper, at the shop now being painted. The paint looks amazing, absolutely amazing. There are a couple of bird dropping stains on the hood that just won't polish out. I think that we will need to paint the hood. I will try to wet sand it before painting, mainly just to see what can been done, since at that point I will likely need to paint it anyway.

I will add some photos shortly.

Positives, the Rupes really brought back the finish. I spent the time and went slowly through the various products and pads. Like I mentioned, the Blue and Green were very, very dusty, something that I have not encountered with other products for the last couple of years (although I have mainly been using all-in-one type products, HD Speed, One Step and 360. I know that Rupes had come out with two newer versions of the 21mm machine. I have not had the opportunity of trying those out. The 1.0 model that I have worked well on larger flat surfaces, hood, top and trunk. Any variations or curves really created havoc. It would bog down immediately.

With the Covid 19 shut down, I may have more time to polish a few more cars over the next weeks, one bright spot. I hope that you all stay safe. All the best. Phil