autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Review: Griots Garage Foaming Surface wash and Foaming Poly Gloss

Been a while since I have done a review. Since I have little bit of time with everything going on I decided to try out the Griots Garage Foaming Surface Wash and Foaming Poly Gloss.

First up the Foaming surface wash.

Quick description from the Autogeek store

Griot's Garage Surface Wash will loosen and lift existing contaminants off your paint. The Ph-neutral formula of Griot's Garage Surface Wash will make sure that your existing protection product is not chemically stripped from the paint during the washing process. Griot's Garage Surface Wash uses a dual-layer foaming formula that will increase dwell time and give the product more time to clean the surface. The primary foam layer cling to the surface, working to loosen road film and organic contaminants. While the secondary foam lifts the abrasives and contaminants from the paint and gently carries them to the ground.

There are a couple different ways to apply this product. I used 2oz of product and the rest water in a standard foam cannon hooked up to my 2000psi pressure washer.

The test subject is my 2017 F250 Lariat. This vehicle has been fully coated and does get frequent washes so for this test I wanted to see how clean it truly got the paint without doing a physical hand wash to it.

The passenger side I pre rinsed the paint and wheel liners with my pressure washer and the driver side I applied the product without pre rinsing first. I wanted to see if it made a difference.

Before pics.

Truck all foamed

The directions say to let it dwell 5-10 minutes and not let it dry on the surface. I went about 8min and this is what i looked like

After the 8min dwell I pressure wash rinsed it very thoroughly. And just like it stated it didn't effect the coating or hydrophobic properties at all. At first glance the surface to appeared to be perfectly clean. But I had to check. So I took a clean microfiber towel and dried a couple of the lower panels to check for grime. And to my surprise there was virtually none!

There was a little bit of grime on the very bottom of the fender flare. If the vehicle was a bit more dirty I would suggest a quick hand wash to remove a remaining grime.

Next up was the Foaming Poly Gloss.

Griot’s Garage Foaming Poly Gloss is a foaming paint protection formula designed to be used with the Griot’s Garage The BOSS Foam Cannon. Using hydrophobic polymers that enhance gloss, surface slickness, and protection on your existing wax, sealant, or coating, the Griot’s Garage Foaming Poly Gloss can be used on all exterior surfaces, including paint, glass, trim, chrome, wheels, and more! Help keep your ride clean longer with a quick layer of Griot’s Garage Foaming Poly Gloss!

So for this step I cleaned out my foam cannon and loaded up 2oz of the product and the rest water. I would say having a 2nd foam cannon would be helpful for this process.

With the paint still wet from the previous step I went ahead and foamed it down again. This product only has a 2-3 minute dwell time.

After rinsing I was treated to nice beading and it definitely added some nice beading on the glass as it hadn't been coated yet.

Once rinsed I dried it with a large glacier drying towel and boy did dry with a ease! Then After about 10-15min you could feel the soft slickness on the surface.

Overall I am pretty impressed with the results considering I only touched the paint during the final drying process. And no surface marring was present afterwards. The products also smell really good!

Don't mind the wheels. I got lazy lol!!!

I used the same process on my GTO and my wife's Mazda. The GTO has some coatings and sealants on different panels and it played well with them. My wife's car has Xpel PPF on the nose and has been coated too. No problem with either. Her car needed to be hand washed as it had been a couple months since it's last wash. Whoops lol.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griots Garage Foaming Surface wash and Foaming Poly Gloss

That is awesome, Justin!

I need to finally jump the gun and give this a try....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    That is awesome, Justin!

I need to finally jump the gun and give this a try....
    Yeah it definitely seems to have a place in my lineup.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to chime in,

We used this system when it was first introduced at Griot's in Tacoma, Washington at one of my Roadshow Classes, in fact a couple of forum members attended this class including Firehouse Mike and Thomkirby.

Jeff Brown did the full demo.

Pictures & Comments - Griot's Garage Roadshow Class - 2018

The system is both effective and thorough.

I think properly used you would never have to touch a wash mitt to paint.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a foolproof way to avoid wash induced marring!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to chime in,

We used this system when it was first introduced at Griot's in Tacoma, Washington at one of my Roadshow Classes, in fact a couple of forum members attended this class including Firehouse Mike and Thomkirby.

Jeff Brown did the full demo.

Pictures & Comments - Griot's Garage Roadshow Class - 2018

The system is both effective and thorough.

I think properly used you would never have to touch a wash mitt to paint.

I remember that article well, Mike.

Like I said above, I need to get my butt in gear and grab some.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally love GG foaming wash. It cleans amazingly well and rinses very well.

FWIW, I have a few customers with matte paint G63’s and a couple others that are vinyl wrapped and this soap cleans all of them with ease and never causes any discoloring or staining.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post