autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Thanks DMiglo, i was actually referring to polishing. Are you using a finishing polish or cleaner polish etc? I actually have cosmic V2 but its expensive to use 2x per year. Great looks.

See how things go this year. Last winter i found PNS and colly 845 held up pretty well. Some say sealants and even lite coating will not last a 3-5mth winter. I don't drive my car that much because i work on ships 6mths a year. So i will have to see how V2 holds up. If i can get a year i might stick with it.

Everytime i plan to apply a full blown ceramic i get turned off after reading all the problems you can have. And i'm a drive way detailer.
    Ahh gotcha, in that case it’ll generally be a finishing polish(Megs 205 or Ultimate Polish), polishing pad or finishing pad, panel prep/wipe down and then coating. Hope that answers your question!

Never tried Polish Angel products myself but I remember a few years ago there was a thread on here about their products. Every vehicle posted in that thread had phenomenal paint and high praise from members.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

well it rained this afternoon so when it stopped I went down and wiped the hood off....what I can see there were no water spots...will check again when the sun is out...thanks for your reply

3. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterman View Post
    Hello,

This may have already been discussed in another thread. Would it be possible to use the coating toppers more frequently in place of the actual coating? I have wolfgang coating on one of my cars that I installed two years ago. I top this with wolfgang sio2 spray(I’ve also used blackfire coating booster which I really like)

Instead of putting on another coating can I continue to use the sio2 spray? If I used it after every other wash would I get the same protection?
    You can use a spray sealant to your hearts content. It is better than not having anything on the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post
    Mike The Guz....as you know I ceramic coated my car....which is a daily driver....I live in Fl. and we been having rain almost every afternoon lately....this morning went for a walk and checked my hood and sure as crap I seen water spots...is Gyeon a better protection then ceramic for water spots ...I will try rinseless wash to see if the spots come off....
    Water spots are a potential risk on a coating.

well it rained this afternoon so when it stopped I went down and wiped the hood off....what I can see there were no water spots...will check again when the sun is out...thanks for your reply
    Rain water is not the cause but rather the dirt on the surface. It is also possible the water spots were never removed. Ammo NYC speaks about the phenomenon of water spots reappearing after compounding due to heat cycling the paint. Just something to keep in mind. If you go with a water spot remover it could degrade the hydrophobic behavior of the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the water spots were removed for sure....before I started my coating process I clearly seen them...after I use compound there were no spots....it could be the car was dirty...when it rained..since it stays outside....

Post Thanks / Like

I know the water spots were removed for sure....before I started my coating process I clearly seen them...after I use compound there were no spots....it could be the car was dirty...when it rained..since it stays outside....
    The problem when you correct water spots is that it compounding generates heat. Heat swells the clear coat and can make the spots disappear. Then later you wonder how they came back. Most of the times it’s fine, the compound really leveled the paint and now it’s gone but it can happen that it disappears but it’s not really gone and you’re in for a surprise later as the paint goes through heat cycles.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

After using a couple light-siO2 products and other sealants for the past several years, I went with Cquartz UK 3.0 and Gliss on my daily vehicle...mainly to stay calm about it getting overly dirty and feeling the need to wash it ASAP.

When I do wash my car, dirt rinses off like no other product I have ever used. True, I never fully polished and then applied a sealant to get the most out of it, but I also did not know proper detailing techniques in the past. I have three cars to experiment with, and they all ended up with some form of SiO2 protection on them (Two have a light-coating).

In theory, if your ceramic coated vehicle gets covered in water spots one time early in its life by sprinklers, and you choose not to do anything about them other than wash your car as normal. As that coating fades out over time, those water spots should also fade because they are etched into the coating, not the clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    After using a couple light-siO2 products and other sealants for the past several years, I went with Cquartz UK 3.0 and Gliss on my daily vehicle...mainly to stay calm about it getting overly dirty and feeling the need to wash it ASAP.

When I do wash my car, dirt rinses off like no other product I have ever used. True, I never fully polished and then applied a sealant to get the most out of it, but I also did not know proper detailing techniques in the past. I have three cars to experiment with, and they all ended up with some form of SiO2 protection on them (Two have a light-coating).

In theory, if your ceramic coated vehicle gets covered in water spots one time early in its life by sprinklers, and you choose not to do anything about them other than wash your car as normal. As that coating fades out over time, those water spots should also fade because they are etched into the coating, not the clear coat?
    The ceramic coating is so thin that basically anything that etched into it, also etched the clear coat. Probably to a lesser extent but it will likely need to be polished out again.
    Bruno Soares

9. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    I'd guess it depends on the severity and 'aggressiveness' of the water spots. My singular bad incident w water spots on ceramics (due to my own negligence) occurred at
    the beginning of Summer 2018. My black coated Honda Accord was sitting in our garage while we were filling the pool. The copper water supply line for the pool runs across our garage ceiling and has been accumulating dust and dirt on it since I ran the line back in 2004 or so. It was about 90 degrees that day and dirty condensation that formed as the cooler water ran through the overhead pipe in the hot garage dripped onto the hood. I pulled it out into the driveway to wash but had to leave in a hurry, not returning until late the next day. The 2 days it sat outside were full sun, 95 degrees and the spots became permanent, surface temperature of the hood was likely around 180-190 degrees while it was outside.

Water spot remover did nothing to help so I just let it ride until Summer of 2019 when I polished off the coating on the car for something new. I distinctly remember thinking I was gonna need to compound that area a bit to lessen the water spot but took a shot and it went away completely with Sonax PF and a yellow Rupes pad, disappearing in 1-2 light, quick passes....it was quite the surprise. Was the spot in the coating? I dunno but since 'easy remediation' like that is not something that occurs often in my garage, it was memorable. Dunno.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678