autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Thanks for the update!! Good to see the big names hanging in there, some of the more “boutique” options leave more to be desired.

Really good to see the performance of CQ lite and Cancoat are meeting/exceeding claims.

Is this a loss for the graphene crowd?
    Lite coatings may be the way to go. Decon and reapply a few months down the road.

I am going to call it for graphene unless it revives from the dead over the next few months. This is version 2 of SPS and I think there is a newer version.

Quote Originally Posted by giuseppe pepperoni View Post
    I may have missed it in there somewhere, but what type of car wash soap are you using? A ceramic or just a regular soap?
    I don't use any coating soaps. Never been a fan of coating soaps. They leave a funky film behind. I used GTechniq W4 for this particular wash.

2. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Lite coatings may be the way to go. Decon and reapply a few months down the road.
    This is another reason I’ve stuck with them. My daily drivers are out in the elements basically 24/7, they need to be polished every 6-12 month to deep clean the paint and keep the appearance in tip top shape.

A 2-5 year coating doesn’t interest me as much for that reason alone. Doesn’t hurt the man himself, Mike Phillips wrote an article pertaining to this very issue of long term coatings and daily drivers.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...l#post_1583403
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes DetailZeus, noorth, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

This is another reason I’ve stuck with them. My daily drivers are out in the elements basically 24/7, they need to be polished every 6-12 month to deep clean the paint and keep the appearance in tip top shape.

A 2-5 year coating doesn’t interest me as much for that reason alone. Doesn’t hurt the man himself, Mike Phillips wrote an article pertaining to this very issue of long term coatings and daily drivers.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...l#post_1583403
    Once you have your paint up to a level your happy with, what is the basic process you use to maintain it?

This is the approach i'm trying to adopt. I was thinking more like 12-14mths personally for a polish.

6. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Noorth, I know my polishing schedule seems a tick in the “too often” side, but I lived in Chicago, Illinois at the time. I recently move to Florida, so I’m hoping to be able to adjust that closer to 12 months.

Problem was winter and all the junk on the roads, I swear the roads were dirty at least 6 months out of the year. There was always filth coming up from the road with any level of rain.

General maintenance procedure for me is:

-Weekly or bi-weekly washes.
    -One bucket method using multiple towels or mitts and foam gun when I choose to or maybe have to.
    -Soap is either P&S Pearl or Carpro Reset, planning to try Megs Hyper Wash as some point.(Clean rinsing, strong cleaners and leaves nothing behind)
    -Toppers and drying aids usually suited to my LSP ex. Carpro Echo2 with Cure or Reload(Merlin’s Elixir) for coatings, P&S Beadmaker, Megs Xpress Spray Wax and Duragloss Aquawax for typical sealants or waxes.

Depending on climate, local environment and the life your car lives, with proper washing methods there’s no reason you can’t get 12-14 months. I only did mine more often as I felt my car became contaminated due to weather and roads and being outdoors 24/7.

I’d recommend using a tested and proven coating Lite product and their soaps/toppers.

Can’t go wrong with Gyeon or Carpro in this respect!

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind this thread is not gospel on me telling everyone which is the "best" coating to use. It is more capturing how they are holding up in my particular environment. It will come down to each person to make the decision on which coating to go with. If you have something you want to try then go for it. Only you can determine if that product will perform well for you. We can see the big names are holding up pretty well which is why they are recommended.

It also does not matter that much with everybody topping their coating.

10. Likes DMiglio, noorth, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

This may have already been discussed in another thread. Would it be possible to use the coating toppers more frequently in place of the actual coating? I have wolfgang coating on one of my cars that I installed two years ago. I top this with wolfgang sio2 spray(I’ve also used blackfire coating booster which I really like)

Instead of putting on another coating can I continue to use the sio2 spray? If I used it after every other wash would I get the same protection?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7 month update on the coatings. There has been a dramatic decrease in hydrophobic behavior on some of the coatings.

These coatings were heavily beat up during the 4th of july. The car sat outside with the illegal fireworks from the neighbor landing all over it. It sat on the car for a couple days before I washed it. This stained many of the coatings, although they were already water spotted.

Goes to show that lab claims are different than real world use.

Here is some text information on the coatings.

SPSGraphene – Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    Gyeon Syncro – Surprisingly this has help up better this go around. It is still beading and sheeting at a good rate. The first time I used it, Skin was about done during this time frame.
    CquartzTiO2 – This looks to be a coating application error so this has been rules out.
    Adams UV Paint Coating – Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    Jade Ice – Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    Drexler Ceramic(Base Coat + Top Coat)– This is similar to TiO2 in an application error so ruling this one out as a competitor.
    Shine Supply Beadlock Pro - This is a nice surprise. Has retained its performance rather well. Sheeting and beading nicely.
    Jade Quartz – Started to show signs of losing it's hydrophobic behavior.
    Adams Spray UV Coating - Failed within 3 months. Nothing noticeable on the surface at 7 months.
    22ple Insanity – Brand new for 2020 and hyped by 22ple as being their best coating. It is surprisingly how poor it has held up. I will probably call it done soon.
    22ple HPC - Surprised at how poorly this is also performing. I will probably call it done soon.
    Gyeon Mohs –The water behavior got better as it cured. Hanging in there towards the top of the list.
    IGL Quartz+ - Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    Cquartz Lite - Has held up nicely up to this point at 7 months.
    Gyeon CanCoat - Still hanging in at 7 month. Lost some of its hydrophobic performance.
    Cquartz UK 3.0 - Has been haning in there as well. Fast water sheeting. Not the tightest water beading.
    Drexler Ceramic Base Coat – Like Beadlock this has been a surprise in its performance.
    Keep in mind this thread is not gospel on me telling everyone which is the "best" coating to use. It is more capturing how they are holding up in my particular environment. It will come down to each person to make the decision on which coating to go with. If you have something you want to try then go for it. Only you can determine if that product will perform well for you. We can see the big names are holding up pretty well which is why they are recommended.

It also does not matter that much with everybody topping their coating.
    Guz - thank you for not only doing this thread, but for sharing the information in such a helpful way. It's a ton of work to maintain documentation of what was done where and get pictures and video of how it's behaving, but it's really awesome how you share your written observations/summary of each one. You really help shine light on the subtleties that might be missed just from watching a water behavior video/etc (not to discount those - that's still a lot of work to record and share!).

I really enjoy seeing your reviews/write ups - I count you as one of several "Human Coating Encyclopedias" that shares their wealth of knowledge to help the community (not to pad their pockets).

13. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike The Guz....as you know I ceramic coated my car....which is a daily driver....I live in Fl. and we been having rain almost every afternoon lately....this morning went for a walk and checked my hood and sure as crap I seen water spots...is Gyeon a better protection then ceramic for water spots ...I will try rinseless wash to see if the spots come off....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I’m not anywhere near as knowledgeable as Mike on this subject but I’ll try and help you.

Concerning the water spots, I’d say more than likely they will wash right off. It being rain water you’ll get spots but nothing that should etch. Idk off the top of my head if Gyeon has a product, but Carpro has one to handle tough water spots called Spotless.

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover

I’m in central Florida and can confirm we’ve had A LOT of rain for a couple weeks now. As far as any water spotting, everything I’ve had washes right off except for when I’ve been hit with sprinklers.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Noorth, I know my polishing schedule seems a tick in the “too often” side, but I lived in Chicago, Illinois at the time. I recently move to Florida, so I’m hoping to be able to adjust that closer to 12 months.

Problem was winter and all the junk on the roads, I swear the roads were dirty at least 6 months out of the year. There was always filth coming up from the road with any level of rain.

General maintenance procedure for me is:

-Weekly or bi-weekly washes.
    -One bucket method using multiple towels or mitts and foam gun when I choose to or maybe have to.
    -Soap is either P&S Pearl or Carpro Reset, planning to try Megs Hyper Wash as some point.(Clean rinsing, strong cleaners and leaves nothing behind)
    -Toppers and drying aids usually suited to my LSP ex. Carpro Echo2 with Cure or Reload(Merlin’s Elixir) for coatings, P&S Beadmaker, Megs Xpress Spray Wax and Duragloss Aquawax for typical sealants or waxes.

Depending on climate, local environment and the life your car lives, with proper washing methods there’s no reason you can’t get 12-14 months. I only did mine more often as I felt my car became contaminated due to weather and roads and being outdoors 24/7.

I’d recommend using a tested and proven coating Lite product and their soaps/toppers.

Can’t go wrong with Gyeon or Carpro in this respect!
    Thanks DMiglo, i was actually referring to polishing. Are you using a finishing polish or cleaner polish etc? I actually have cosmic V2 but its expensive to use 2x per year. Great looks.

See how things go this year. Last winter i found PNS and colly 845 held up pretty well. Some say sealants and even lite coating will not last a 3-5mth winter. I don't drive my car that much because i work on ships 6mths a year. So i will have to see how V2 holds up. If i can get a year i might stick with it.

Everytime i plan to apply a full blown ceramic i get turned off after reading all the problems you can have. And i'm a drive way detailer.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast