autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy's World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner

A rare break in the winter weather gave me a chance to wash my car and do a quick review of the Poorboy's Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner I've been using for a while. Since the product was released, I don't think I've seen a single review. Hopefully this will solve that problem and provide awareness for this really good product.

You can see the full write up here.

Happy reading!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, brianc636 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboy's World Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner

Thanks. Cleaning the baked on brake dust on the barrels is the true test. Looks like this would work well for anything that's not baked on, but so many cleaners will.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Thanks. Cleaning the baked on brake dust on the barrels is the true test. Looks like this would work well for anything that's not baked on, but so many cleaners will.
    I keep the wheels clean on all my cars, so heavily crusted barrels will never be an issue. I'm not sure this wheel cleaner would be the right tool for that type of cleaning.

The one thing I found the PoorBoys did better than other wheel cleaners I've used is the ability to cling to the surface. The only other wheel cleaner I've ever used with that characteristic was the P21S gel wheel cleaner and it is far more expensive and doesn't clean as well. I don't really need that any more, but someone might.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent, well written review. PoorBoys does not get the love it deserves for some of their products. Did you use it full strength or diluted? IF diluted, at what ratio? Are your wheels coated, and if so, did you notice and degradation of the coating after using the product?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Excellent, well written review. PoorBoys does not get the love it deserves for some of their products. Did you use it full strength or diluted? IF diluted, at what ratio? Are your wheels coated, and if so, did you notice and degradation of the coating after using the product?
    Thanks!

Great questions.

- I did not dilute the wheel cleaner. Regardless of whether I'm using a power washer or not, I always rinse off the wheel prior to spraying any wheel cleaner so it isn't being applied to a dry wheel.

- My wheels are coated with CQuartz UK 3.0. I applied it just before mounting those wheels back in early November. I credit the coating with so much of the brake dust being rinsed off by the power washer. It made the review a little less exciting, but made my life much easier. I did not notice the wheel cleaner having any effect on the water behavior of the wheels.

I've coated a set of wheels once before and used at least one other brand of wheel cleaner. Neither set seemed to suffer any ill effects from the use of a wheel cleaner. The prior set of wheels showed good beading sheeting for a solid two warm seasons (they were my summer wheels) and didn't start to degrade until the last half of a third season. Had I not sold the car I would have re-coated them before putting them on again next summer. Overall, I'm pretty happy with that considering the environment the wheels live through is much worse than the paint on the car body.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks!

Great questions.

- I did not dilute the wheel cleaner. Regardless of whether I'm using a power washer or not, I always rinse off the wheel prior to spraying any wheel cleaner so it isn't being applied to a dry wheel.

- My wheels are coated with CQuartz UK 3.0. I applied it just before mounting those wheels back in early November. I credit the coating with so much of the brake dust being rinsed off by the power washer. It made the review a little less exciting, but made my life much easier. I did not notice the wheel cleaner having any effect on the water behavior of the wheels.

I've coated a set of wheels once before and used at least one other brand of wheel cleaner. Neither set seemed to suffer any ill effects from the use of a wheel cleaner. The prior set of wheels showed good beading sheeting for a solid two warm seasons (they were my summer wheels) and didn't start to degrade until the last half of a third season. Had I not sold the car I would have re-coated them before putting them on again next summer. Overall, I'm pretty happy with that considering the environment the wheels live through is much worse than the paint on the car body.
    Thank you for your responses.