autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax Hybrid Spray Coating - Are the reviews misleading?

Diamond Dog how do you prep for a new application of a sealant now?

A good sealant that is just cured fully is pretty tough to remove if you where to not be happy with it. When you go with it and it's on it's last legs it's easier to remove. Still though you have the polish to clean the paint thoroughly for the next application so it gets to last as long as possible. Some use the same sealant or topper to have a little longer stretch with your protection. But the extra layer often wears down faster than if you prep with a polishing or paint cleaner.

I would look at the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution Ceramic Spray Coating as a very durable sealant. Sure it need to be polished off but that usually most sealants needs to be if they are still on the paint. If you decide to apply another product over it which I also think is fine to do when you feel like the performance from it is so degraded that it needs to be reapplyied. It's just that you don't get as long durability from it than if you apply it on a polished and preped paint. This is something common if you decide to just clean the paint with a wash and maybe a chemical decon step. If it's worn enough the chemical decon steps may be enough. Then you have the bonded contaminants that you still have to deal with.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OP, are you referring to the TW Seal N Shine? Wouldn't an IPA wipe down remove it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    OP, are you referring to the TW Seal N Shine?
    I could be wrong...but:
    From what has been posted so far,
    I’m inclined to say it’s not TW S&S.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

5. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

And back to being a word guy, when you say "you" - you're referring to Turtle Wax, not me specifically? I have not described how to do anything in this thread.

I was referring to when you wrote this:

"My guess is, the spray-on Turtle Wax Hybrid Coating can be removed with a

Foam polishing pad
    Any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher
    A polish - Medium cut or Fine cut "

I am not saying you laid out the steps. But my point was even the simple "words" you used in your description of equipment imply a more complex process which are no big deal for detailers. But for someone like me, rather intimidating.

If these tools are needed to correctly deal with this product, how do you think it would sell if TW just told the truth "This is more robust than a sealant. In the future you may need to use a polisher, the correct polish, and the correct pads to remove it". All the reviews just seem to talk about how easy it is, don't take into consideration PPF, and you see all these "torture tests" being done on it.

I am hoping as time goes on that more of these dimensions are talked about and YES BY MORE THAN THE INFLUENCERS THAT WERE WINED AND DINED AND GETTING ALL THIS ATTENTION FROM TW which I must admit feel are a bit biased at times (not all, but a lot of them)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    I could be wrong...but:
    From what has been posted so far,
    I’m inclined to say it’s not TW S&S.

Bob
    NO, I am referring to the new Hybrid COATING where TW says it needs to be compounded off on their You Tube Channel in the comments (I provided the link)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post

I was referring to when you wrote this:

"My guess is, the spray-on Turtle Wax Hybrid Coating can be removed with a

Foam polishing pad
    Any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher
    A polish - Medium cut or Fine cut "

I am not saying you laid out the steps. But my point was even the simple "words" you used in your description of equipment imply a more complex process which are no big deal for detailers. But for someone like me, rather intimidating.
    Now I see what you're saying. I didn't lay out any specific steps for this new product, just outlined a simple theoretical process should one need it.

And I agree. To this day, there are millions of car owners aka do-it-yourselfers that are still working by hand and do not own a quality polisher let along feel confident to compound their car. I meet these people all the time. Just because a person has the financial ability to go purchase a brand new Audi or BMW or even Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck does not also mean they are experienced and even outfitted to machine compound the paint on this high dollar ticket types of transportation.

If these tools are needed to correctly deal with this product, how do you think it would sell if TW just told the truth "This is more robust than a sealant. In the future you may need to use a polisher, the correct polish, and the correct pads to remove it". All the reviews just seem to talk about how easy it is, don't take into consideration PPF, and you see all these "torture tests" being done on it.

I'm sure they mean well. I've been involved in a lot of new product launches in my career and one thing I know, everything goes through an evolution, even an product launch.

I am hoping as time goes on that more of these dimensions are talked about and YES BY MORE THAN THE INFLUENCERS THAT WERE WINED AND DINED AND GETTING ALL THIS ATTENTION FROM TW which I must admit feel are a bit biased at times (not all, but a lot of them)

And to my previous point - everything goes through an evolution. Used to be forums were king, now it's YouTube and Instagram and Facebook groups, etc. The latest evolution is Tik Tok but after watching some news stories I'll hold off on downloading this App just in case there's any truth to the stories about how it "can" harvest all your data.

Evolution - everything is in a state of change...

9. Thanks Diamond Dog thanked for this post
    Likes Diamond Dog, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given time more will come out about the TW ceramic line, don't think it as been a week yet since the release. As far as your wining and dining comment, I have no issue because it was well stated that TW invited them and TW reps did presented the products, as far as bias part I chalk that up to introduction of a new product line from a big time player.
    TW has released some solid products over the last few years that perform at a value price and I have little doubt the Hybrid line will be decent. As far as comparing the line to CQ coatings I don't think it's a fair comparison at all. At the $15-20 entry point it's unreasonable to compare but that doesn't mean that the complete Hybrid line isn't a good value for what it is, time will tell to an individual if the Hybrid line is worth it

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Loach liked this post
    Mike Phillips

With all this talk, I'll have to get my hands on a bottle and test it out.

Then I can have a real-world opinion.

But to try to smooth over any fears, I'm very confident that this product can be used as directed and the benefits claimed will be realized.

If a person must remove it, for whatever their reasons, a light polish by hand or machine will likely do the trick. Again, whoever used the word compound to describe the removal process was probably speaking in generalities, not specifics. That's my domain.

Rest assured, this thread will be seen and read by people at Turtle Wax and it's possible we will see some clarification for anything that needs clearing up.

13. Likes Loach, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post

TW has released some solid products over the last few years that perform at a value price and I have little doubt the Hybrid line will be decent.

As far as comparing the line to CQ coatings I don't think it's a fair comparison at all. At the $15-20 entry point it's unreasonable to compare but that doesn't mean that the complete Hybrid line isn't a good value for what it is, time will tell to an individual if the Hybrid line is worth it

Great points.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Evolution - everything is in a state of change...

I can't agree more and that is why people may want to remove this product. TW may also read this and make a "hand remover" for it, if anything so people can get a clean base surface for re-application. There are things like graphene on the horizon or even other manufacturers coming out with Ceramic products.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast