autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinate 845..I had to do it

845 is a great product, and fool-proof.

476 is a little better with an application learning curve.

I have and use both products, and I love them.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes MAXBKS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoyt, its easy to use as you can see but for harsh SEMI winters, #476 is going to be your "go to" in the future. He in Chicagoland, before I found coatings, I used 2x's #476 and it held up great. I'm sure you maintain the car its on so keep it clean and evaluate your durability and keep us posted.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes PaulMys, hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m coating my car this week w uk3.0 but will be using 845 on my vinyl wrapped gloss black roof. I need something on the roof that will be gone by the spring as my roof is supposed to be self healing and it’s got some scratches on it. I want to see if it really self heals once the sun hits it nice and hot. If I coat it I probably would affect its shelf healing properties. Anyway, glad to have a reason to use 845 again.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

keep us up to date

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using it for about 5 years. I have compared it to many other coatings and waxes.
    Still the best I have used.
    "Find a product you like and use it often".
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I travelled up to visit family in Mass 2 weeks ago. While up there I cut, buffed and waxed my mother's car. LSP was good ole Coll 845. No garage but under a car port overhead. Temps were quite different from my 80-90 in Tampa and I anticipated the Coll "gel" condition so...

I transferred it into a small 2 ounce plastic bottle I got from US Plastics (ordered a bunch in bulk for cheap). I warmed it up in a pan of warm water and then simply kept that small bottle in my jeans pocket while working around the car. It stayed a fluid consistency while I worked it and that was because of body heat while in my pocket.

The two things I like about Coll 845...price and durability. Oh and ease of use.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone give a comparison of 845 to say Pinnacle Souveran, as far as gloss, the wet look appearance, durability... I know the Collinite will be half the price!! My only experience with Collinite is with 925 fiberglass wax that I use on our RV, and on that it is outstanding for durability and shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Can anyone give a comparison of 845 to say Pinnacle Souveran, as far as gloss, the wet look appearance, durability... I know the Collinite will be half the price!! My only experience with Collinite is with 925 fiberglass wax that I use on our RV, and on that it is outstanding for durability and shine.
    I wouldn't exactly say Souveran is only twice the price of Collinite #845, when a 3oz Jar of Souveran is $65, and a full size jar is $95. Before I go further, I'll state that I've never used Souveran.

But I'm sure it's a fantastic Wax, as it should be. One might compare it to some from the top tier Zymol Line, and probably Souveran is a more "sanely" priced product.

As for longevity, any very good quality Paste Wax loaded with a high quality Carnauba should be giving you no less than 3 months of solid protection. Should hold up well to repeated washings, and be better than most OTC products.

I would say #845 will be coming mighty close to most Pastes you'll encounter no matter the brand. You might be cutting hairs on how long it lasts, and other factors will cause some variability, and again, no matter the brand. I would say on average, figure 3 to 3-1/2 months with #845 on a daily driver. Harsh winter and salts might shorten than time.

Not sure if such would be a more fair match, but you'd be comparing a Paste to a Liquid. If you're comparing Souveran to Collinite #476 Paste, I might be inclined to say #476 will likely be the winner in the durability contest, not much out there that's more durable than #476 no matter what the price short of a Ceramic Coating.

As for looks, Souveran can probably be best classified as an Estate Wax, and/or a "Beauty Wax". And as for looks, yes, it might likely edge #845. I would/should hope that it would for it's cost, and as well it's properties in that it's said to be a wax that doesn't really dry, that tells me there's gobs of oils enhancing it's properties. Questions I might have, will those oils be hanging around after a wash or two?

From what I've seen and witnessed many years ago, High Grade Yellow Carnauba, and others when it is bought in raw form comes in the form of hard Flakes-Chips in large Bags. It is not jars-tubs of a Liquid in raw form. Such Blends are then dissolved with carrier Solvents, and other products and mixed-blended.

Not in any way trying to downgrade Souveran, quite the contrary. To confide, it was actually Souveran Wax that brought me to this forum and Autogeek products almost 8 years ago, oddly I never bought it, but one day I just might! I'm sure this particular house brand has little peer as being extremely high quality, and sometimes you do get what you pay for!

Collinite #845 on the other hand is going to offer many very good things, and at a very fair price.
    I's say in comparison to the myriad of liquids, pastes coatings, sealants I have used over many decades and on countless vehicles, #845 leans towards looking warmish, and a deep look and shine like a Carnauba, but since it is a hybrid also containing synthetic Polymers, you get better longevity, and perhaps some higher bit of hard reflective gloss.

One day I'll no doubt spring for a small Jar of Souveran, life's too short not to eventually try it! LOL With the good sales here often, the cash outlay will be a little easier on the ole wallet.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add something about pastes, and in particular hard pastes. I have bought-tried some Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste, and have used my fair share of Collinite #476 and as well Collinite #915 Marque De Elegance. Plus many, many others over probably a 44-46 year period, Blue Coral, Slipsteam, Simoniz, J-Wax, Trewax Boat Wax, and some hard pastes from a private factory brand years ago, Nu-Look in Chicago, which I still have some on hand!

If Souveran is as well a very hard paste, consider that you will be owning such a product for a very long time to come.

Like the description of Souveran says, "many long years of protection", and I'd assume the one reason why is when you apply such a hard paste to a vehicle, you've barely placed a dent in the use. That you've just done an entire car, and looks like you've not even used any out of the jar.

Unless you're using such a Paste on a daily basis as a professional and/or protecting entire Dealer's inventories, then yes, and provided you properly care for this wax, the jar is going to be around for a very long time.

When you consider and experience such, then you can better realize that such a product is not that high priced as it initially may seem to be.

With Collinite #845, and if applied properly-thinly, it should take about 3/4oz to do an average sized car, maybe just a small tad more if doing wheels as well. So consider roughly a good 16 applications per bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Can anyone give a comparison of 845
    to say Pinnacle Souveran, as far as gloss,
    the wet look appearance, durability...
    Which one of the Pinnacle Souverän Waxes
    do you want to compare with Collinite #845?

Me?
    •In the name of fairness, I would choose
    Pinnacle Souverän Liquid Spray Wax as
    the one to compare with Collinite #845;
    -ie: Liquid form vs. Liquid form.

•Since I’ve used both of these products,
    -I will give my first-hand viewpoints on
    the above listed characteristics.

gloss...
    •Gloss comes from having smooth surfaces;
    polishing creates those smooth surfaces.
    -It’s a toss-up between the two

the wet look appearance...
    •Comes from “oils”
    1.) Collinite #845’s are petroleum-based
    2.) Souverän Liquid‘s are natural-based
    -Nod goes to Souverän Liquid

durability...
    •[For the long-run, it depends on how
    LSPs are “touched” (MP)]
    1.) Collinite #845...Tenacious!
    2.) Souverän Liquid...Tentative {at best}
    -This is definitely Collinite #845’s milieu!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast