autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

Mike P. has already done an excellent review of this product here:

I’m going to defer to the link above for basic information on this product and get right into it.

Since this product is said to last much longer than your regular trim sealants, I decided I would test this out on an area I never bother with because it’s very painful to detail often for a daily driver... trim behind the front grill of our 2016 Audi Q5:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0403-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0404-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0405-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0406-jpg

Not the glossy, smooth trim, but the dull, grey, matte trim behind.

As with most ceramic protection products, a clean surface is crucial to maximize the protectant. Since I haven’t done a dedicated wash on this trim ever, I decided I would throw a number of things at it:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0445-jpg
    (From left to right: Megs APC 1:4 heavy; Mckees Wax Remover for Plastic; Mckees Engine Degreaser; and Wolfgang Paint Prep Spray).

I applied the products in the order shown above, left to right. I used a red, hard bristled brush to get in there.
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0450-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0455-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0458-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0460-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0462-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0463-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0464-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0466-jpg

With the cleaning/prep done, it was time to figure out which applicator to use.
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0469-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0470-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0471-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0472-jpg

-The product has dye in it, so use gloves.
    -Only a little bit is needed on the applicator at a time.
    -It has a heavy solvent smell.
    -It did dry on my applicator every 3-5 minutes so I would simply reapply as needed.
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0473-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0474-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0476-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0477-jpg

The last picture above has the top row with trim applied and the bottom without.

Initial application went on easy. If I applied too much pressure though, the dye would become uneven. Going back over it lightly would make the coat more uniform. Note also that it dries more uniform looking than when it’s wet.
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0482-jpg

To get the corners and edges I used a Q-tip:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0486-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0487-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0489-jpg

I wiped off the excess as best I could in the tight spaces. This was a challenge and I surely didn’t do a perfect job.

2. Thanks SNP209 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

Wow, that's a lot of work. I would have used a spray (aerosol) engine detailer and be done with it.

However, it was a nice review.

4. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Continued...

Finally, completion of this terribly difficult trim:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0497-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0505-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0499-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0502-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0500-jpg

Final thought:
    This stuff is really nice if it lasts awhile. My previous favorite trim sealant is Mckees Trim Restorer die to ease of use, spreading, the restored look and longevity (2-3 months before I reapply). The PBL Trim Restorer is very close in ease of use and spreading. To be honest, it may be tied, it’s hard to tell since I never worked inside the grill like this... but all things considered, it wasn’t too terrible given how this applies. If Mckees has a slight edge it’s because it stays wet longer. Where the PBL product really excels is the deep black look it gives. The trim looks better than new and it now blends in with the glossy, smooth trim that’s at the front of the grill. Longevity is yet to be seen, but if it can go 4-6 months with still looking nice, this would be my new favorite.

It is a little pricey but barely any was used during this application and I wasn’t trying to use sparingly. This bottle should last me years maintaining 3 cars even if I have to do it every 3-4 months. The look is very high quality, deeper than any trim protectant I’ve used before.

Some before and afters:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0403-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0497-jpg
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0405-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0491-jpg
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0406-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0500-jpg

Thanks for reading!

6. Likes SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of work. I would have used a spray (aerosol) engine detailer and be done with it.

However, it was a nice review.
    I never went for the aerosol because the smooth, glossy trim is really the eye-draw of the grill and I didn’t want to dull it or grease or it and have to scratch while cleaning it aggressively afterwards. Maybe this is a non -issue and the aerosols wipe right off of smooth trim though?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! The new Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer is an excellent product.

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up and review and pictures acuRAS82!

Great work on this hard to reach trim. But it makes a lot of difference and maybe not the parts you coated though but to the glossy chrome looking trim to really get more standing out with the black trim behind it. Also will be interesting to see the real world longevity from this coating. As I know you follow up your testing very good.

Bet it looks awesome when you take a few steps back and see the whole grill and front.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

How does it compare to solution finish? Looks similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review. This is an excellent product.

I too received a bottle and need to get my review together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    Looks similar.
    Looks similar in that in dyes the trim black. However this is the first product of its kind that I am aware of that has ceramic properties.

13. Likes Meghan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Bet it looks awesome when you take a few steps back and see the whole grill and front.
    It does, but pictures don’t do it justice, especially in my garage. Maybe they will look more vivid when I get the car outside tomorrow.
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0533-jpg

I’m going to find a portion of the X5 M engine compartment to apply this to. That should be a better representation for pictures’ sake. Coming soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast