autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    How does it compare to solution finish? Looks similar.
    Unfortunately, I can’t say as I’ve never used Solution Finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Looks similar in that in dyes the trim black. However this is the first product of its kind that I am aware of that has ceramic properties.
    There is a actually another brand that put out a product identical to this a little before Pinnacle launched.

3. Likes abileneautoworx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight I applied these 3 to the drivers side upper engine compartment:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0546-jpg

The area isn’t in bad shape, but hasn’t been protected in quite some time. I cleaned with Megs APC 1:4 and then prep sprayed with Wolfgang. Here is prior to applying anything:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0537-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0539-jpg

Again, hard to get great lighting in certain areas of the garage. On the left portion of this engine trim I applied Megs Black Plastic Restorer, in the middle PBL, on the right Mckees Plastic Trim Restorer. In the lighting (camera flash) the Mckees and Megs look most black/dark. PBL looks the most clean and least greasy. I’ll snap pictures in daylight tomorrow.

Megs vs. PBL:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0549-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0553-jpg

PBL vs Mckees:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0548-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0552-jpg

5. Likes rlmccarty2000, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I missed the ceramic part, That might make it look like solution finish but last a lot longer. Sounds like a win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Mike P. has already done an excellent review of this product here:

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

I’m going to defer to the link above for basic information on this product and get right into it.

Since this product is said to last much longer than your regular trim sealants, I decided I would test this out on an area I never bother with because it’s very painful to detail often for a daily driver... trim behind the front grill of our 2016 Audi Q5:
    Attachment 68124Attachment 68125Attachment 68126Attachment 68127

Not the glossy, smooth trim, but the dull, grey, matte trim behind.

As with most ceramic protection products, a clean surface is crucial to maximize the protectant. Since I haven’t done a dedicated wash on this trim ever, I decided I would throw a number of things at it:
    Attachment 68128
    (From left to right: Megs APC 1:4 heavy; Mckees Wax Remover for Plastic; Mckees Engine Degreaser; and Wolfgang Paint Prep Spray).

I applied the products in the order shown above, left to right. I used a red, hard bristled brush to get in there.
    Attachment 68129Attachment 68130Attachment 68131Attachment 68132Attachment 68133Attachment 68134Attachment 68135Attachment 68136

With the cleaning/prep done, it was time to figure out which applicator to use.
    Attachment 68137Attachment 68138Attachment 68139Attachment 68140

-The product has dye in it, so use gloves.
    -Only a little bit is needed on the applicator at a time.
    -It has a heavy solvent smell.
    -It did dry on my applicator every 3-5 minutes so I would simply reapply as needed.
    Attachment 68141Attachment 68142Attachment 68143Attachment 68144

The last picture above has the top row with trim applied and the bottom without.

Initial application went on easy. If I applied too much pressure though, the dye would become uneven. Going back over it lightly would make the coat more uniform. Note also that it dries more uniform looking than when it’s wet.
    Attachment 68145

To get the corners and edges I used a Q-tip:
    Attachment 68146Attachment 68147Attachment 68148

I wiped off the excess as best I could in the tight spaces. This was a challenge and I surely didn’t do a perfect job.
    Thats a tough spot. I had the same problem with the dye going on unevenly. Mine didn't go away when it dried though. I'm hoping I can either take it off with something or try to fix it with a second coat. In hindsight I think I should have used a microfiber applicator instead of foam.

I haven't seen anything about layering coats have you? If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Thats a tough spot. I had the same problem with the dye going on unevenly. Mine didn't go away when it dried though. I'm hoping I can either take it off with something or try to fix it with a second coat. In hindsight I think I should have used a microfiber applicator instead of foam.

I haven't seen anything about layering coats have you? If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks,
    I didn’t apply two coats but given it’s the same product, hopefully it will work out for you. I got some splotches on the glossy front area of the grill where the license plate normally goes. I only noticed it weeks later when headlights from my other car were pointing on the area.

I’ll play around with a few things (APC, engine cleaner, hand polish) and see if anything removes it, in case your second coat doesn’t even things out. Granted, those splotches aren’t on normal matte trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great I enjoyed the read thanks for doing it

10. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just used it again on the drivers side. I tried a few different applicators. The stuff goes on blotchy no matter what you do. I'm using great lighting. Maybe to good IDK

Is there any way to get this stuff off? I don't think I want to continue with it. I'm going to see how it looks in the morning. I'll keep you posted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I just used it again on the drivers side. I tried a few different applicators. The stuff goes on blotchy no matter what you do. I'm using great lighting. Maybe to good IDK

Is there any way to get this stuff off? I don't think I want to continue with it. I'm going to see how it looks in the morning. I'll keep you posted
    I would reapply the PBL Ceramic Trim Restorer and work in a 2sqft section at a time. Wait 30 seconds to penetrate and level with a microfiber towel with a lot of aggression to kind of work the product off and level simultaneously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Tonight I applied these 3 to the drivers side upper engine compartment:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0546-jpg

The area isn’t in bad shape, but hasn’t been protected in quite some time. I cleaned with Megs APC 1:4 and then prep sprayed with Wolfgang. Here is prior to applying anything:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0537-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0539-jpg

Again, hard to get great lighting in certain areas of the garage. On the left portion of this engine trim I applied Megs Black Plastic Restorer, in the middle PBL, on the right Mckees Plastic Trim Restorer. In the lighting (camera flash) the Mckees and Megs look most black/dark. PBL looks the most clean and least greasy. I’ll snap pictures in daylight tomorrow.

Megs vs. PBL:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0549-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0553-jpg

PBL vs Mckees:
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0548-jpgReview: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-img_0552-jpg
    3.75 month update:
    I wiped the windshield base/trim down with water only. It looked pretty clean to the eye, but I wanted to compare without impacting the trim with cleaner

First I splattered some water on with a bottle. No spray action. The Megs shows water sticking to the surface with lazy beads formed on top. The PBL kept the water in bead piles with little water sticking underneath. M37 was in between the two, a little bit of water sticking but still decent bead puddles.
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-adjustments-jpg

Next I dried and spritzed water on with a very fine sprayer. Megs was hard to get any good amount of water spritz in the tight area. PBL still beads but the beads are a ugly-shaped. M37 meanwhile has the tightest water beads.
    Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer-adjustments-jpg

I’ll do an update spray comparison in a few weeks after wiping down with N-914 to ensure a clean surface and I’ll use a normal bottle sprayer for more substantial water comparisons.

14. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast