autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Did my first full detail with my G9

Got a chance this weekend to do a complete detail on my wife’s Q5. I picked up a G9 during the 1st week they were available, and had high hopes for it when doing a quick test trunk lid when it arrived.

Here are my thoughts after getting some real time with it.

Products used:Settled in with Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream on Orange pads (both BOSS and standard, 5.5” and 6.5”), as well as Perfecting Cream on the Yellow BOSS perfecting pads (6.5”). 2nd Gen Griot’s 5” Vented backing plate for 5” mode.

Experience: I really, reallylike this machine. Upgraded from a 3rd Gen GG6. I was hoping for a better long-use experience, and it definitely delivered.

Noise: While I can’t speak for a direct comparison to the GG6 in terms of noise, I feel like this was slightly quieter. I use Bluetooth Ear Plugs (advertised at 27db noise reduction) for listening to music, so I never actually ran the machine without hearing protection. I never turned the volume up on my phone past about half volume, and even when I was close to the machine for doing the vertical panels, it never felt like the noise was too intense. I think one contributing factor is that I never felt like I needed to run the machine past speed 5 (I kept ending up around 4.5), so that helps keep the noise down

Vibration: When I first did the test trunk lid, I was slightly let down in that I didn’t feel like it was substantially smoother than I remembered the GG6. I then realized it had been so long since I’d run a machine that I was death gripping it. Much like go-karting or performance driving, you quickly realize there’s no need/benefit to holding on that tight. Once I loosened up, I really did feel that it was a smoother machine. Even with multiple steps, I didn’t get tingly hands like I remember getting sometimes with the GG6.

Ergonomics: This thing is super balanced. I also love the shape of this thing. You can hold it any way you want or need to, and it’s easy to keep the pad square and maintain whatever level of pressure you want. Even though the trigger’s not progressive, it’s nice to be able to blip it to spread product around before locking the trigger on. The speed control dial is also really easy to use if you want to do it that way (I kept going between the 2, I think just because I could).

Observations:
    The digital speed control - I mention this just because it’s a feature they advertise. It’s not anything that you notice directly; the only time I remembered it was a thing was when I’d lighten up pressure to allow the pad to speed up a bit (bad habit, I know, but sometimes for RIDS I’ll unweight the machine, let the pad spool up, and go slightly on edge to focus the correction. Not a thing I make regular practice of). I’d pull tension slightly, and you’d hear the speed “plane out”. Not a bad thing at all, because it means for everything else you put it through it’s just humming along.

Trigger lock: During the test trunk, I kept having trouble getting the trigger lock to stay engaged. I found out during the full detail that if you don’t think about it and just hit it, it works like a charm. I was hesitant to even mention it since it felt like operator error, but I was a thing I noticed.

Does it stall: While during 98% of the time I used it, that thing would just keep the pad humming along, yes: you can get it to stall. On my wife’s Q5, the hood has some real body shape where it comes to the fenders, and in those areas I could get the pad to stop rotating. This was with the 5.5” BOSS pad. Which brings me to:

Pads: This is where I’m hoping for feedback from others, as I don’t have near as many square feet of machine use as most people here. Despite everything I read saying that the small throw polishers like 5” thin pads, I swear this thing really liked the 6.5” thick pads! It had no problem turning them, and interestingly with the big pads on, you couldn’t get it to stall in the situation listed above. One other interesting observation with the thin 5.5” pad - for certain spots (like the 1-2” strip below the window molding, with light pressure it would “counter rotate” as I’ve heard described on the longer throw Rupes machines.

Overall: Super happy with this machine. I’ve got a GG3 for tight quarters, so the chance to upgrade to a machine that stood to be more efficient and comfortable for longer term use felt like a no-brainer. If you only wanted to have 1 machine, then the GG6 is definitely more flexible since you can run the 3” backing plate and pads.

Thanks for reading, sorry this ended up way longer than I meant it to!!! I’m in no way a pro, but thought it’d be helpful to share my observations even still.

2. Thanks The Guz, fly07sti, Diner, Bruno Soares, Jim w and 2 others thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, kevinkunkle, JonInVA, SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did my first full detail with my G9

Thank you for the review, it looks like a great machine and I'll be upgrading later this year when it's time to re-do the family cars.

Jay

4. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing!
    Jim

6. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review and write up!

A lot of awesome information that's helpfull for those who is in the market for a new polisher or an upgrade. Would be very interesting to hear when someone do some testing with a 3" backing plate and pads to them. That's the downside for a more versitale polisher that the GG6 is.

Since this new G9 polisher seems to be very effective and strong. That could be that it's not a need to be useing either the smaller backing plate or the thin pads. Since it's able to be spinning the 6" backing plate and a thicker pad on the full speed so to say. With the 5" backing plate on it and a thin pad you have the same speed cause of the digital speed control. Or that's less of a difference between the 2 setups. As it's still a free spinning DA polisher so it should be spinning the 5" backing plate and thin pad faster on the same speed just cause of the physics. They can have a very refined digital speed control that works on both ends. To speed up when it's more resistance and slows down when the resistance gets too low. Great that it works as it should with the original 6" backing plate.

And it seems to be a great quality tool from the review that Apex Detailing Channel on Youtube did when he took it apart. That's rare on the price range that the G9 is in. And from what others says who have used the G15. You can do the same with the G9 and at the same time you do with the G15. The G15 and the G21 will not get the same sales since if the G9 is as good or close to it. G9 is way cheaper than those 2. And why should you invest in those if you can get the same effectiveness and ergonomics with a G9 polisher. If you look at what's often recommended it's the Flex VRG3401 and GG6. And know with the G9 that is so hard to get to stall the VRG3401 or the new Flex XCE 10-8 is going to be less needed. As if it's maintains the pad rotation so great and also is so powerfull so you don't need to be haveing full speed on the G9. It should be as effective as the Flex VRG3401 and XCE 10-8. And with the price it should be a no brainer to get the G9. This is what I get from the buzz from the G9 so far. And since many says the VRG3401 is more time effective than a 21mm longthrow polisher. Even for proffessional detailers the G9 seems to be what to get. I have not a clue on the real difference as I have not used any of these polishers. But going from they who have used them all the G9 seems to be the one to get for a beginner and up to the proffessionals. Then Griots Garage has done a homerun that's going to be hard to beat.

Maybe it's worth it to me to get a converter from 230v-110v and get the G9

Thanks for shareing your experience Oneheadlite!

/ Tony

8. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Nice, detailed review.

It takes a lot of thinking work and typing time to generate new content like this, I for one appreciate it and respect your time, energy and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

Does it stall:

While during 98% of the time I used it, that thing would just keep the pad humming along, yes: you can get it to stall. On my wife’s Q5, the hood has some real body shape where it comes to the fenders, and in those areas I could get the pad to stop rotating.

This was with the 5.5” BOSS pad.

That's my experience too.

Can you get it to stall? Yes.

Can it stall on convex curved panels, yes.

Is it a lot less likely than the old GG6? Yes.

And for those reading this into the future - ANY brand of free spinning random orbital polisher has the "potential" to stall simply due to the fact that these types of tools are NOT gear-driven.

That said, Griot's did a GREAT job with this new design tool.

10. Thanks oneheadlite, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could swear I heard it had progressive trigger but now you said it doesn't. That's kinda disappointing since the Boss polishers do and I would expect them to use the same on this "baby Boss" DA.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Tony - As balanced as the machine is, can't say I'd rush to try 3" pads on it. I believe in one of their videos they covered that the counterweight is left exposed if you put a 3" backing plate on; between that and the shroud design, even if you wanted to try it I don't think it'd be ergonomic enough to want to use it that way. I could try and spin the backing plate on from my GG3 just to see how comical it'd look, but again not a set up I'd run it with.

Mike - Thanks! I burned up all of my lunch (and then some ) typing this up. I hoped it would come out coherent! Definitely helps you appreciate the work you and the members put in on doing write ups.

Bruno - I see what you mean about the progressive trigger (I thought I had heard that as well). I suppose it does help provide a little differentiation between the "Entry Level" polisher and their higher tier offerings. Though they've got an anniversary coming up, I feel like more is in the works for polishers from them... The trigger not being progressive didn't work out to be a big deal to me personally, as the speed dial is so easy to access I just tweaked speed from there if I needed to.

Two other things I forgot to mention:

Heat! As it turns out, they weren't kidding - this thing's a cool operator. Even after long section passes, no matter which pad, I didn't feel the pads nor polisher getting warm.

Quick Release Cord I love this feature as well. Not only does it make it nice and neat to put away, but during the process I found an added benefit.
    My garage is terribly setup for outlets (thanks original owner), so there's never convenient power. I had a table set up on the driver's side of the car as central command with all my pads/products. When I was working on the passenger side, I'd unplug the cord from the machine and bring just the machine to the table to change the pad and reapply the product of choice. When disconnecting, I was sure the release tab was fully depressed as to not wear out the junction.
    Truth be told, I can't say I'd make regular practice of it. But, it was a nice option when you're long into the process and you're tired of stepping over lighting and extension cords. (But not tired of only having spent $150 for this performance ).

13. Likes PaulMys, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool post!

It sounds as if you were happy with it overall.

As for the stalling, I think it is pretty cool that it will keep the pads spinning 98% of the time like you said.

I also think there is a comfort factor in knowing that a machine will stall in certain situations.

Maybe not for a pro, but certainly for anyone with little time on a DA.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

And for those reading this into the future - ANY brand of free spinning random orbital polisher has the "potential" to stall simply due to the fact that these types of tools are NOT gear-driven.

That said, Griot's did a GREAT job with this new design tool.